Is NCL now charging for the Cruise Critic Meet and Mingles?

randellc

I contacted the Special Events co-coordinator for the NCL Dawn asking about setting up a Meet and Mingle for my up coming cruise on Sept. 5th.

I was sent back a price list of options for a meeting space.  

Has NCL changed their policy regarding Cruise Critic Meet and Mingles.   In attending Cruise Critic meetings over the past 12 years we have never been asked to pay for anything.

Does anyone have any insight into this change?

Thanks,

Randell Clarke

• Like 1

1 hour ago, randellc said:

I contacted the Special Events co-coordinator for the NCL Dawn asking about setting up a Meet and Mingle for my up coming cruise on Sept. 5th.

I was sent back a price list of options for a meeting space.  

Has NCL changed their policy regarding Cruise Critic Meet and Mingles.   In attending Cruise Critic meetings over the past 12 years we have never been asked to pay for anything.

Does anyone have any insight into this change?

Thanks,

Randell Clarke

I suspect  one of four things happened:

(1) You weren't clear that this was a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet and your request was misunderstood

(2) You accidentally sent the request to the wrong person (AFAIK it's supposed to go to the group events coordinator, not the special events coordinator. )Address for the Dawn should be groupeventdawn@ncl.com

(3)The individual you sent it to has been on the job for 15 minutes and doesn't know what they're doing

(4) NCL has found a new previously untapped source of revenue

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I am coordinating a m&g for a Princess cruise and they do charge for refreshments.  They sent me a price list.  $3.50pp for danish and coffee.  $1.50pp for coffee or tea.  They even are charging $5.00 for a microphone and $5.00 for a podium.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There is no charge - I just arranged one for our Star sailing.  When I first reached out, they wanted to charge me and I realized I didn't mention "Cruise Critic". The second I wrote back and said that, they immediately told me it's free and to ignore the prices. They served refreshments and the group events coordinator was there to ensure we were all set and good to go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From what I understand here and what I have come across in arranging M&Gs I have a feeling that those who are NOT Cruise Critic members but are on another area of the Internet are starting to try to "muscle in" on our free M&G as ,when they try to arrange something similar, are told it will cost.

Our M&G is a Private Arrangement between the cruise line and Cruise Critic members and is NOT available to just anyone on the cruise.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, casofilia said:

From what I understand here and what I have come across in arranging M&Gs I have a feeling that those who are NOT Cruise Critic members but are on another area of the Internet are starting to try to "muscle in" on our free M&G as ,when they try to arrange something similar, are told it will cost.

Our M&G is a Private Arrangement between the cruise line and Cruise Critic members and is NOT available to just anyone on the cruise.

....and everything I mention that, I catch all heck from those doing so.

• Like 1

Just dispatched an email this afternoon to specialevents<ship>@ ncl . com, earlier than usual for an upcoming September sailing out of NY, as we already have a good # of CC members affirming their plans to attend - typically, wait until we are closer as per CC recommendation.  *** "insert/replace <ship>" with the name of the specific NCL ship, i.e. Dawn.  

Haven't used groupevent<ship>@ ncl . com  ((no space, when emailing)) for the last few years - I looked back into previous emails with NCL on hosting CC Meet & Mingle/Greet and have always worked for mine, with success & no charges whatsoever.  Try this instead of using specialevent<ship> @ ncl . com for a prompt response.   Make it very clear that this is with CruiseCritic and the person is the group leader, taking responsibility to organize ... coordinate, etc. - do not expect nor request any special considerations or privileges, etc. etc. if one is committed to do this. 

Just like the one we held in March, I received almost an immediate response - from NCL Corp (Miami) Special Events Coordinator, later this afternoon, acknowledging the request and is being forwarded to the ship for approval & scheduling.  It's a different coordinator from Special Events (and, not Group Events) as the contact person - no mentioning of fees, charges or costs, etc. whatsoever.   

However, I am thinking along the lines of logic of what casofilia wrote above, if it is not clear to NCL that it is for members of CruiseCritic but possibly benefiting or coming from other "channel" or platform's membership, then not sure what to say.  

I have high confidence that ours coming up is almost set and good to proceed - there are a good number of CC old-timer on the Roll Call and planning to be at the Meet & Mingle ... and, not taking names coming out of somewhere else just to boost headcounts.  

Part of the response included the following - with the direct telephone extension of the coordinator assigned, I recommend calling her/him to clarify as necessary.   Good luck to OP, please update as appropriate and do appreciate sharing & posting what you're "told".  Likewise, if there are any surprised on our upcoming mid September M&G - will post the details here on CC so that other Roll Calls will get a heads up.  

Norwegian Cruise Line ®
7665 Corporate Center Drive | Miami FL 33126

A close up of a logo  Description generated with very high confidence

Note: The health, safety, security and well-being of our guests and crew remains our highest priority. Norwegian Cruise Line reserves the right to adjust venue, times, and guest counts based on the fluidity of CDC guidelines.

P.S.  The reply email from NCL, if finalized, the "Group Leader Memo" should include a footer -

Cruise Critic meeting #5000XXXXX - Norwegian <Ship> - XX/XX/2022 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@mking8288

I have always used the specialeventsship@ncl.com type address when arranging a M&G and have never had any trouble in doing so and have never had any list of charges.

I agree however that anyone arranging a CC M&G must make it clear that the M&G is for Cruise Critic and is wiling to act as coordinator when approaching NCL.

I have noticed that there are people turning up on board who have attempted to enter without a CC name on the ship sign in sheet.   And also trying to get on my spreadsheet without one; I have a peculiar method of arranging a M&G to allow me to make full preparations before I leave New Zealand.

I believe that people on the Roll Call  are publishing details of the M&G elsewhere.   I may even go so far as to say that they are attempting to circumvent the idea that it is a Private arrangement between NCL and CC.

• Like 3

I just hosted a M&G on the Pearl (Boston-Bermuda)

There was no charge, however, the CC members that attended were smaller in numbers than expected  in past M&Gs.

We were still appreciative and I personally wrote a thank you to each Officer and Staff member that attended.

I'm sad to see the low numbers for the Roll Calls.  Sure hope in the future the CC numbers increase.

• Like 3

@Tyskie

..... the CC members that attended were smaller in numbers than expected  in past M&Gs.

I would be interested in a few things:-

How did you find out who and how many intended to attend?  Sign up sheet on  CC or personal communication to you?

How many of the expected did actually turn up? 

How many apologies did you get before the event?

Did you have any personal communication with them before boarding?

Did you have ALL cabin numbers in case of a last minute change of plans?

Did you hand deliver an invitation once on board?

Mike

• Like 1

9 hours ago, casofilia said:

@Tyskie

..... the CC members that attended were smaller in numbers than expected  in past M&Gs.

I would be interested in a few things:-

How did you find out who and how many intended to attend?  Sign up sheet on  CC or personal communication to you?  All communication with other CC members was done on CC Roll Call-I mentioned I was willing to set it up if there was interest.  I waited until the last couple of weeks to contact NCL.  Our numbers were low and I expressed this to the contact person - was not sure it would be approved.

How many of the expected did actually turn up?  In past M&G that I hosted, turn out was at least 10% less than what was promised.  This group approx 18 attended (I mentioned in my email I thought it would be around 20 - Plus the 4 who were late.)

How many apologies did you get before the event?  The only apology I received was from a family who was late and missed the Officers and Staff that attended.

Did you have any personal communication with them before boarding?  No (but since the cruise I have kept in contact with one couple)

Did you have ALL cabin numbers in case of a last minute change of plans?  I did not, many do not want to give their cabin numbers.  The only time I did have numbers was for the POA which included many first time cruisers.  I made invitation reminders & delivered to their cabin.

Did you hand deliver an invitation once on board?

Only once - see above.  I have run multiple M&Gs.  Each time I always write a personal thank you from the group to the Officers/Staff.

Mike

See my answers on your post above.

I hope my answers help.  I do believe many CC members have not returned to cruising and many have gone over to the FB social media.  I still prefer CC, I think the information is so much better.  Both can have drama but social media more so.

I still do miss the old Cruise Critic app - wish they would consider bringing it back.

BTW:  The Event Coordinator contacted me as soon as I was onboard.  😉

Edited by Tyskie
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@SeaShark

I would agree with you in principle but be a little unhappy if we couldn't have the officers there.   The effects of their presence can be very useful for those attending.   I have seen it in action so many times.

One thing that would stop me making arrangements would be a number of non-CC walk-ups who demand to attend especially when arriving with CC members.   Even the appearance, with a CC name, of walk-ups  who haven't taken any part in CC would annoy me.   I have seen that and they admit how they heard of the M&G on another site!!

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. I have no issue with the officers attending. As a matter of fact, I think it is great that NCL sends them to participate...it shows that NCL appreciate the CC members who choose to cruise on their ships. What I meant is that the officers are not the point of the M&G...the point is to meet and greet the other CC members. I see too many people who only come to brown-nose the staff...while they have no interest in talking to other CC members.

I often sit on Roll Calls and see people who make their first (and only) roll call post a couple of days before the cruise just so they can "sign us up for the meet & greet". I wonder just who it is they want to meet given that they have zero participation in the roll call. Its like going to a reunion for a high school you never attended.

Your second paragraph is spot on...I agree 100%.

I really think NCL should adopt MSC's way of doing the M&G. For MSC, you sign up for the M&G through CC. CC then sends the list to MSC. At some point during the cruise, MSC sends an invitation to each cabin on the list announcing the date, time, and place for the M&G. You need your invitation to be admitted and they don't let anyone in without the invitation...it removes all issues with crashers from other sites.

• Like 2

@SeaShark

I love your last paragraph and intend to use it if you don't mind.

I have 4 M&Gs arranged on the Jade and have a good working arrangement with the contact in NCL.   I will expand the paragraph and send to her with a request that she passes it on to the head of the office.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2022 at 1:39 PM, njhorseman said:

I suspect  one of four things happened:

(1) You weren't clear that this was a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet and your request was misunderstood

(2) You accidentally sent the request to the wrong person (AFAIK it's supposed to go to the group events coordinator, not the special events coordinator. )Address for the Dawn should be groupeventdawn@ncl.com

(3)The individual you sent it to has been on the job for 15 minutes and doesn't know what they're doing

(4) NCL has found a new previously untapped source of revenue

Thanks for the input and I believe it was option 3.  When I explained again that this was for a Cruise Critic group, he said sorry and then asked where and when we would like to meet.

So it was all just a misunderstanding.  No harm done 😉

• Like 2

On 8/9/2022 at 3:54 PM, SeaShark said:

I really think NCL should adopt MSC's way of doing the M&G. For MSC, you sign up for the M&G through CC. CC then sends the list to MSC. At some point during the cruise, MSC sends an invitation to each cabin on the list announcing the date, time, and place for the M&G. You need your invitation to be admitted and they don't let anyone in without the invitation...it removes all issues with crashers from other sites.

Perfect

I am on the same cruise that mking8288 is organizing the M&G for Cruise Critic.  A few weeks ago someone on the FB group for this cruise offered to organize one and she was told that one was already being done and that NCL only recognizes Cruise Critic as the official site.   She got very huffy and said she has done many M&G's through FB.  Don't know if that is true or not.

I am organizing one for a November Princess cruise through Cruise Critic and have been corresponding with their events coordinator.  Now someone is telling everyone on the FB group to give her their names and she will post them on Cruise Critic, asking to come to the M&G.  This has now increased our planned attendance by 1/3 and am not sure now if the room allocated to us is big enough.  And we still have 2 1/2 more months to go.

3 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

I am on the same cruise that mking8288 is organizing the M&G for Cruise Critic.  A few weeks ago someone on the FB group for this cruise offered to organize one and she was told that one was already being done and that NCL only recognizes Cruise Critic as the official site.   She got very huffy and said she has done many M&G's through FB.  Don't know if that is true or not.

I am organizing one for a November Princess cruise through Cruise Critic and have been corresponding with their events coordinator.  Now someone is telling everyone on the FB group to give her their names and she will post them on Cruise Critic, asking to come to the M&G.  This has now increased our planned attendance by 1/3 and am not sure now if the room allocated to us is big enough.  And we still have 2 1/2 more months to go.

I'm glad you get to meet so many more people! Have fun meeting and greeting and drinking with your new friends!!

23 hours ago, randellc said:

Thanks for the input and I believe it was option 3.  When I explained again that this was for a Cruise Critic group, he said sorry and then asked where and when we would like to meet.

We will see you there!!

Randellc,great work!!

3 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

... I am organizing one for a November Princess cruise through Cruise Critic and have been corresponding with their events coordinator.  Now someone is telling everyone on the FB group to give her their names and she will post them on Cruise Critic, asking to come to the M&G.  This has now increased our planned attendance by 1/3 and am not sure now if the room allocated to us is big enough.  And we still have 2 1/2 more months to go.

Ellie ... I would be very surprised if 1/2 of those coming from the external "recruiting" efforts will actually show up for the M&G, from the ones that I've come to known.  My last Joy sailing earlier this year was sort of hijacked last minute and it was a disaster, poorly organized, etc. - not going into details here - I made the M&G just fine as one of the attendees, that was it.  

I've commented on these in the past, just shocked browsing thru some of the roll calls - full roster of everyone, last names & first names, pets elsewhere, hometown info & of course, their social media profile ... time to market the list to evil-doers with the moving truck & repair van while they are gone for sure. 

It's a good thing that "our" upcoming M&G is doing quite well, old-timers are back & joining ... good attendance on my forecasted watch, without "others & them crashing further" - I am beginning to worry a little that the District Brew House might not be spacious enough and going to request consideration to move into one of the specialty dining venue instead ... for better social distancing.  NCL assigned us the location based on a very conservative headcount as submitted - we shall see soon. 

• Like 2

Just a sidenote:

I organized a CruiseCritic M&G on the Escape earlier this month - the CC roll call had been unusually quiet before the cruise started, and only around 25 persons had signed up on my spreadsheet for the meet & greet participation (total passenger number on that cruise was 4300...!).

The M&G was supposed to take place at 12.00 noon on day 2 of the cruise, and early afternoon on day 1 of the cruise (embarkation day), I received a phone call from the group coordinator onboard, letting me know that they unfortunately had to move the time for the M&G forward to 11.00 AM instead of noon. Well, to make a long story short: To keep the roll call and my spreadsheet without too much personal information (as both are there for "the whole world to see"), I only had first names of those who signed up to the M&G plus their nationality. The group coordinator got the list from me, and then did some fantastic detective work and found out the cabin numbers for everyone and left a personal voicemail for each and every one of them, informing about the new meeting time the following day. 

And the turn-up was actually close to 20 persons. From NCL all senior officers participated (except the captain himself9, and because the group was so small, they decided to mingle and talk to everyone in person instead of the regular "5-minutes presentation". They stayed for at least 30-40 minutes, gave everyone their business cards in addition to the usual "card with all senior officers listed", and made everyone there feel "special and appreciated". Everyone from that CruiseCritic M&G were invited to be on the "priority tender" in to Santorini the next day, and everyone received some snacks/chocolates from the general manager on more than one occasion. 

How much effort that is put in to the Meet & Greet from NCL's side, is entirely up to the general manager and his staff - and therefore it may vary a bit from ship to ship. On the Escape this month I found it to be very good, they showed appreciation both for CruiseCritic members and for Latitude members, and made some effort to make people feel "appreciated". It was simply a great experience that stands out to me among many great Meet & Greet events in the past.

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 4

On 8/16/2022 at 12:49 PM, randellc said:

The one time I had this happen it was also option 3.  They were very apologetic when I repeated (it was very clear in the first email) that it was a Cruise Critic group and how it had always worked in the past.  They did still offer refreshments, etc. at an extra cost if we wanted them.