Updated vac/testing guidelines are now available

Jeremiah1212

37 minutes ago, Bouff said:

The issue is that we are unable to find anywhere stating that Greece does require this.

You understand that many itineraries do not require monitored tests.

Do you think Celebrity went: “We have itineraries out of Rome to the western Med, lets allow testing without being monitored, but if they are stopping in Greece, lets make them do monitored ones….Yeah, I hated that musical, Travolta can’t sing!”

den

8 minutes ago, vwlmember said:

From the website https://travel.gov.gr

7. What is the situation with cruise ships?

As of 14.05.2021, cruise restrictions have been completely removed, always imposing very strict protocols that apply to these activities.

The website for the Piraeus port authority https://www.olp.gr/en/# shows nothing under Covid-19 protocols that requires a negative covid test for entry. I can't imagine any of the other Greek ports requiring the test if Piraeus does not.

Very confusing information from multiple sources here.  We are on the Sept. 5th Beyond cruise to Greece and have no idea what to do at this point.

Viking point blank gives the reason. Greece rules. If you can find it or not is really irrelevant. We are on RF the same day and in accordance with the rules, we will plan on testing in Rome. As of today, you have no choice if you want to go on the cruise so there should be no confusion. You need to test. 

7 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

You understand that many itineraries do not require monitored tests.

Do you think Celebrity went: “We have itineraries out of Rome to the western Med, lets allow testing without being monitored, but if they are stopping in Greece, lets make them do monitored ones….Yeah, I hated that musical, Travolta can’t sing!”

den

Right?! Does it make sense? Not really. Did Celebrity throw darts to figure out which oddball country they could impose some weird rules just for fun? Don't think so. 

22 minutes ago, vwlmember said:

…….Very confusing information from multiple sources here.  We are on the Sept. 5th Beyond cruise to Greece and have no idea what to do at this point.

Confused what to do? Follow the very clear current Celebrity requirements if you want to cruise and it states very clearly Greek port calls require a monitored test: plan on a monitored test. If and when they change, you can then change. I’m on a Oct cruise out of Rome that stops in Bermuda. Leaving the Rome port normally does not require a monitored test, but Bermuda does.  I’m taking a monitored test kit and a simple test kit in case it changes. Not that hard and Not confusing at all. Also, The monitored test will cover the unmonitored requirement.

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Viking point blank gives the reason. Greece rules. If you can find it or not is really irrelevant. We are on RF the same day and in accordance with the rules, we will plan on testing in Rome. As of today, you have no choice if you want to go on the cruise so there should be no confusion. You need to test. 

A reason that cannot be verified through the government that supposedly issued the order. On the official website you linked only mentions removing all restrictions. That is relevant whether you choose to believe so or not. 

4 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

No idea why a 2021 reference in the Middle of the Pandemic would infer removing any Covid test requirements, which it doesnt state that anyway.

And confused what to do? Follow the very clear current requirements if you want to cruise: plan on a monitored test. If and when they change, you can then change. I’m on a Oct cruise out of Rome that stops in Bermuda. Leaving the Rome port normally does not require a monitored test, but Bermuda, a port call, does.  I’m taking a monitored test kit and a simple test kit in case it changes. Not that hard and Not confusing at all. Also, The monitored test will cover the unmonitored requirement.

Den

It specifically states all cruise restrictions have been completely removed. Requiring a test is a restriction.  This is the government's own website, if they have changed this since 5/14/21 then it should be reflected on their website.

1 hour ago, vwlmember said:

A reason that cannot be verified through the government that supposedly issued the order. On the official website you linked only mentions removing all restrictions. That is relevant whether you choose to believe so or not. 

Your entire position on this is irrelevant whether you choose to believe so or not. 

7 hours ago, vwlmember said:

It specifically states all cruise restrictions have been completely removed. Requiring a test is a restriction.  This is the government's own website, if they have changed this since 5/14/21 then it should be reflected on their website.

Yet all cruise lines are requiring tests where Greece is involved. I guess complain to Greece that their website is insufficient? Not sure what to tell you other than make sure you have a test arranged. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, luv4cruises said:

Princess dropped testing for fully vaccinated guests on cruises of less than 16 days beginning in September on most cruises.

Unvaccinated guests are welcome but must test prior to boarding.

This is how it should be.  I'm all for having unvaccinated on cruises....but stop making everyone test.

• Like 2

On 8/12/2022 at 4:25 AM, WonderMan3 said:

That’s actually not true about the weakening part. While virulence did decrease from Delta to the original Omicron, all the subvariants have remained at the same severity as Omicron 1 since then but contagiousness has increased with each variant which is why it keeps surging. 

I don’t think having unvaccinated people onboard will really make a difference to anyone who is vaccinated. With the current variants out there now we are all about equally susceptible to catching the virus. The difference is that unvaccinated people have a greater risk of having more intense symptoms that could lead them to require hospitalization or it could be fatal; that’s on them though. To minimize the possibility of catching onboard then you need to mask up indoors, social distance outside, avoid crowds and wash your hands/sanitize regularly. That obviously becomes an issue with dining since most of the venues onboard are inside. Of course that’s likely the primary transmission point for those cruisers who wear masks and socially distance otherwise. 

Unfortunately, having unvaccinated people onboard could absolutely make a difference to anyone who is vaccinated.  If an unvaccinated person gets seriously ill and has to be taken to a hospital, the cruise ship will then need to direct itself to the nearest hospital.  Could mean changed ports, could mean cancelled ports.  That definitely affects everyone.  Yes, it could happen for other reasons like heart attacks and the like, but having unvaccinated people and much more lax testing requirements definitely ups the odds this could happen with a Covid outbreak,  Several unvaccinated people get seriously ill and then it hits the news (they love drama) and then the cruise industry tanks again.  That is actually a real possibility IMHO.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2022 at 9:06 PM, NMTraveller said:

I believe the changes are country specific.  Mexico does not have many requirements.  However if you go to the East coast the Bahamas and some other Eastern Carribean islands do.

Good point.  I think that is the reason.

For those that insist they cant find any reference to the Greek Govt requiring cruise passengers to be tested, go ahead and just show up without a test and demand boarding because your internet searches didnt provide ‘proof’ that you would accept…..Then post back to us the results. 

A conversation I overheard at a store: 

Clerk: “Sorry, but your 50% off Offer expired 2 months ago”

Customer: “I demand to use it and show me your company’s written rule that I cant use it!”

Clerk: “It very clearly states it is only good until….that was 2 months ago.”

Customer: “The warehouse store that has funny smells throughout accepts expired offers and even ones from other stores!”

Clerk: “Then I suggest you go there and get that item.”

Customer: “they dont carry it!!!”

Clerk: “Exactly”

Enough. As @RichYak stated, it irrelevant whether you accept it or not. 

den

• Like 2

On 8/12/2022 at 2:29 PM, vwlmember said:

From the website https://travel.gov.gr

7. What is the situation with cruise ships?

As of 14.05.2021, cruise restrictions have been completely removed, always imposing very strict protocols that apply to these activities.

The website for the Piraeus port authority https://www.olp.gr/en/# shows nothing under Covid-19 protocols that requires a negative covid test for entry. I can't imagine any of the other Greek ports requiring the test if Piraeus does not.

Very confusing information from multiple sources here.  We are on the Sept. 5th Beyond cruise to Greece and have no idea what to do at this point.

I see the confusion, but this is the result of a poor translation into English of the second half of that sentence.  The restriction referred to here is the long expired restriction on cruise ships visiting Greece, not the pre-boarding restrictions .  A fuller translation would be along the lines of "restrictions on cruise ships visiting Greece are completely removed, subject to compliance to the strict protocols that apply to these activities."

Cruise lines undoubtedly have been informed separately in detail of these protocols, not relying on Mr Google to let them know.

That being said there is no confusion I can see on the Celebrity instructions, simply if you want to board a cruise going to Greece you need that supervised negative test.

56 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Unfortunately, having unvaccinated people onboard could absolutely make a difference to anyone who is vaccinated.  If an unvaccinated person gets seriously ill and has to be taken to a hospital, the cruise ship will then need to direct itself to the nearest hospital.  Could mean changed ports, could mean cancelled ports.  That definitely affects everyone.  Yes, it could happen for other reasons like heart attacks and the like, but having unvaccinated people and much more lax testing requirements definitely ups the odds this could happen with a Covid outbreak,  Several unvaccinated people get seriously ill and then it hits the news (they love drama) and then the cruise industry tanks again.  That is actually a real possibility IMHO.

Yes, because obviously a vaccinated person can’t get seriously ill..(I’m fully vaxed, but I think comments like this are disingenuous ).

Carnival has it right!

Edited by dodger1964
  • Like 2

On 8/12/2022 at 9:01 AM, TeeRick said:

Pretty simple for me.  I will just keep Up To Date on vaccines.  I plan to get the Omicron-specific booster some time this fall before peak COVID season (Thanksgiving through January).   Although I personally would prefer the vaccination requirements to stay in place on cruise ships, that is not the case in most places and businesses.  So be it.  We now just live with this virus for the remainder of our lives, as normal as possible, taking our own precautions. I will just look out for myself and family.  All I can do.  I will not cruise or fly in the aforementioned peak COVID period as one precaution.

The problem is that testing positive for or possibly getting sick with Covid symptoms during a cruise creates a whole added level of complication (and possible lost money) versus while on a land vacation where you can choose the medical access and treatment you want to receive, can control how you isolate and if vacationing in your own home country can probably get back home much more easily. That’s the biggest barrier I think for cruisers who are apprehensive about getting back onboard right now as opposed to a real fear of getting seriously ill. 

5 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

The problem is that testing positive for or possibly getting sick with Covid symptoms during a cruise creates a whole added level of complication (and possible lost money) versus while on a land vacation where you can choose the medical access and treatment you want to receive, can control how you isolate and if vacationing in your own home country can probably get back home much more easily. That’s the biggest barrier I think for cruisers who are apprehensive about getting back onboard right now as opposed to a real fear of getting seriously ill. 

I agree that the on ship procedures for a positive test make many people apprehensive about cruising (including my DW) vs. land vacations.  Much more so than dealing with some level of illness or fear of COVID.  I do not see Celebrity abandoning the on-board isolation policy for cruisers testing positive any time soon.  That is why many choose not to report symptoms.  Neither you or I can control this.   If I want to cruise now I just have to accept this - or choose another type of vacation.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2022 at 5:36 AM, abo said:

Meanwhile Canada is still in Covid World December 2021, with cruise rules that can make no difference to the spread of the virus at a practical level and no hint of any changes coming along anytime soon.  So frustrating as we look forward to our September cruise.

I hope this rules(Canada) will change. I leave from Vancouver September 22

On 8/11/2022 at 2:59 AM, OysterD said:

Just saw this bit. Which is so dumb. 

We visit Greece on days 4, 5 and 9. There is zero point in forcing people to have a supervised covid test 2 days before boarding when we won't then be stepping foot into Greece until 6, 7 and 11 days later. It makes absolutely no sense. 

You dont have to test at all if you are flying into the country. I hate with a passion rules that are completely illogical, and this has to be right up there lol.

C'mon Greece, get your act together! 

Even funnier: during our Ponant Le Bougainville cruise in June-July from Nice to Istanbul we had Greek ports of call.  Guess what? No mask were required IN Greece; however, we were required to ware them ON our ship while tendering a mile away from the shore!!! That’s was a good one!  It was so hilarious!!! - “Saving Greek’s loved ones’ lives” from a distance. I guess we have a power!!!

Edited by kirtihk

On 8/13/2022 at 6:30 PM, dodger1964 said:

Yes, because obviously a vaccinated person can’t get seriously ill..(I’m fully vaxed, but I think comments like this are disingenuous ).

Carnival has it right!

Sorry you are wrong my DH has long Covid after we had Covid in March we are both vaxed and boosted.  Have cancelled our November Equinox B2B due to change in testing and vaccine requirements