Muster Drill

Harrisonkid

It is all done virtually now.  Either on your smart device or TV screen in your stateroom.   After you view it you go to your muster station and they scan your card confirming you have viewed the Safety Video and know where your muster station is located

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3

It has changed dramatically, and very much for the good!

These days, you watch a video either on the app or on your stateroom TV.  The video is about putting on a life jacket.  You then go to your muster station and check in with your card.  That's it.

It's much easier to watch the video on the app, as you can watch it any time the day you embark.  I usually watch it the morning before we board.  If you aren't comfortable watching the video or only watching the video, someone will do a live demonstration of the life jacket for you.  It'll just take more time.

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It is all done virtually now.  Either on your smart device or TV screen in your stateroom.   After you view it you go to your muster station and they scan your card confirming you have viewed the Safety Video and know where your muster station is located

The scanning at the muster station needs to be done prior to departure?

Just now, d9704011 said:

The scanning at the muster station needs to be done prior to departure?

Yes, it must be done before the ship leaves port.

You can do it after you you have watched the video and after you have boarded.  Sometimes, the station to check in does not open until after lunch, around 1:00 or 1:30 PM, but it may be open as soon as anyone boards.  They encourage you to check in as soon as you are able, but we typically do it after lunch.

There will be some note somewhere regarding the latest time to check in at the muster station.  However, there's little good reason to wait until then unless you've only just boarded.

• Like 2

On our Reflection cruise last November, our group reviewed the muster drill on the app while breakfasting at our pre-cruise hotel.  Once on board, we went to our staterooms to get our Sea Passes, drop our bags and go to the Concierge Embarkation Lunch.  After lunch, we went to our drill station where the crew member swiped our Sea Passes and we went on to make our Specialty Dining Reservations.  Easy peasy! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCPIV said:

someone will do a live demonstration of the life jacket for you

I'm very happy about this. I've cruised with several people who didn't follow the instructions and put on their life jacket wrong. It's the reason I prefer the old system. If you turned up with your life jacket done wrong, someone would correct you

It may sound silly, but we always take a few minutes to find the life jackets, and put them ; just to test it to ensure that it's ok, and also to get familiar on how to put it on, [God forbid, just in case]! 

14 minutes ago, 39august said:

You are NOT required to put on your life jacket at all. Just watch the 2 minute video and report to the muster station. 

You're right, it's not required, BUT, I've seen several people over the years, struggle trying to put on a life jacket. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pickels said:

It may sound silly, but we always take a few minutes to find the life jackets, and put them ; just to test it to ensure that it's ok, and also to get familiar on how to put it on, [God forbid, just in case]! 

I don't think it's silly at all.  I usually look for the life jacket, and sometimes I'll put one on.

2 hours ago, DCPIV said:

It has changed dramatically, and very much for the good!

These days, you watch a video either on the app or on your stateroom TV.  The video is about putting on a life jacket.  You then go to your muster station and check in with your card.  That's it.

It's much easier to watch the video on the app, as you can watch it any time the day you embark.  I usually watch it the morning before we board.  If you aren't comfortable watching the video or only watching the video, someone will do a live demonstration of the life jacket for you.  It'll just take more time.

yep the app is easy.  Watched it at the bar with a drink lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCPIV said:

It's much easier to watch the video on the app, as you can watch it any time the day you embark.  I usually watch it the morning before we board.  ...

First time Celebrity.   On NCL you could watch anytime before sailing from the point of on-line check-in.   So with X you must wait till the day of sailing?   

30 minutes ago, Married90 said:

First time Celebrity.   On NCL you could watch anytime before sailing from the point of on-line check-in.   So with X you must wait till the day of sailing?   

Yes, at least as of last year.  When we got back to cruising last year, I watched the video the damy before boarding.  My wife did not watch it until the morning of.  She was clear to go, but I had to watch the demonstration.  No big deal, but it is easier to have watched the video. 

The video is only a couple or few minutes long, so it's really no trouble to watch it on boarding day.  You can watch it after boarding, even.

3 hours ago, Belgian fry said:

I'm very happy about this. I've cruised with several people who didn't follow the instructions and put on their life jacket wrong. It's the reason I prefer the old system. If you turned up with your life jacket done wrong, someone would correct you

Actually, I also like having someone to demonstrate, but I do not miss the old, old, old, way when you showed up with your life jacket on.  That way was a mess, and the mess only got larger with larger ships.  When weighing the amount of harm that resulted from everyone running arond in their life jackets and then dragging them back to the room against the likelihood of actually needing to put the jacket on, I cannot imagine that it was a difficult decision to allow folks to leave the jackets in the room.

But that's another discussion.

24 minutes ago, Pupsalot said:

So a quick question - does each passenger have  to watch the video on their own device or can a couple watch the video at the same time on a single device?

Welcome to CC.  Watch it together (😉) on the same device. 

8 hours ago, Pupsalot said:

So a quick question - does each passenger have  to watch the video on their own device or can a couple watch the video at the same time on a single device?

If you each want credit for watching it, you each need to watch it on your own while logged into the app with your account. At least, that's how it was before, as they had DW down as having watched it but not me on that cruise last year. 

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

The location of your mustard station is on the back of the cabin door and on the app?  Yes?

Yes.  We had planned to watch on the app in our Barcelona hotel, but spent more time people watching on La Ramblas from our balcony.  Once onboard, headed to our stateroom to drop carry-ones and secure valuables in the safe.  On the stateroom TV, you have the opportunity to indicate which passengers are watching.  Took maybe 5 minutes and then to our Muster Station and lunch.  Truly easy!

9 hours ago, mom says said:

Wouldn't your cabin TV count as a single device? Surely you wouldn't have to watch it twice if there were 2 people in the cabin.

I don't know how that works.  All I can give you is my actual experience.

Again, it's quick.  Very quick.  I just watched the video and listened to the "emergency horn."  It took about a minute.  Unless you just don't want to deal with the app at all, there's really no good reason for two passengers in the same cabin not to watch it on their own via the app.  You'll spend more time and effort explaining that you both watched it together, and you'll certainly spend more time worrying about it on this thread.