Tips on how to survive the “new”Seabourn

Love Sea Days

Or possibly Crystal ex-cruisers.  There has been a lot of moaning from some of them about all the other lines recently.  Luckily for them their favourite is making a comeback under different ownership   so hopefully they will be happy again.

40 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Or possibly Crystal ex-cruisers.  There has been a lot of moaning from some of them about all the other lines recently.  Luckily for them their favourite is making a comeback under different ownership   so hopefully they will be happy again.

I think change is difficult for many cruisers.  The cruise lines are NOT alike!  Their food is not the same --among other issues.  I think when someone really likes a particular cruise line and gets very comfortable with it, it is hard to assess a different line on its merits without comparing it to others.  None of this excuses poor service, bad food, or anything of the like--but I hope I would be able to enjoy another cruise line without comparing it to Seabourn on a daily basis.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 7

18 hours ago, lincslady said:

I have spoken to many ex Crystal cruisers this last two weeks and all have liked the Seabourn Encore and most said thatvthey will cruise with Seabourn again.

• Like 1

I think your Encore cruise was luckier than some on other ships recently, where there certainly do seem to have been problems, and they have been criticized by Crystal passengers.  Mostly, probably, caused by staff shortages/new staff still not fully trained.

10 hours ago, lincslady said:

I think your Encore cruise was luckier than some on other ships recently, where there certainly do seem to have been problems, and they have been criticized by Crystal passengers.  Mostly, probably, caused by staff shortages/new staff still not fully trained.

I agree with your assessment.  Our most recent Odyssey cruise we enjoyed, but the service was not up to par with any luxury line.  Too many new staff, many who have never cruised. From F&B, guest services and housekeeping all had too many untrained newbies.  Even the ex-Crystal staff, were given 1 day of training and then thrown to the wolves.  Those that we met had acclimated.

This is not unique to SB, Regent has staff shortages too (so much that one ship had a shortage of butlers).  I would hate to be on the first Crystal cruises as despite all of media hype, they too will have trouble hiring and my guess many of their ex-staff will be happy at SB, Regent, SS and even Virgin.

• Like 1

Hope the former Crystal cruisers enjoy their new line.   I am positive they will share the same shortage of workers as all the other lines, maybe more.    SS cruisers should stay with that line as they seem to think SS has none of the problems Seabourn is experiencing.   We have been on three Seabourn cruises since the start up and found the service wonderful and the food as good as before the shutdown.

• Like 5

On 8/21/2022 at 1:32 PM, lincslady said:

Some Encore senior position staff have been dispatched to the Quest to help.

I must say that we could not fault the service and enthusiasm of the crew on Encore.

It was possibly one of our best cruises ever.

• Like 6

On 8/20/2022 at 6:25 PM, lincslady said:

Ouch!!

We’re on our first Seabourn cruise, currently on the ovation and very happy.  We sailed crystal exclusively for many years.  Sight unseen, we booked a second Seabourn cruise that sails in a couple of months and we are thrilled for that cruise.

the crew and officers on the ovation are so approachable, friendly and so eager to make sure all is well.  We’ve also met some lovely passengers, many are frequent SB sailors and they are so welcoming.  NUFF said

Happy sails

Nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 10

Apologies for what I said - in fact some of them were from Crystal fans who were genuinely having problems, as is now emerging, in that some of the SB ships are not operating as well as they should.  I am pleased that you are on a 'good' one, more typical of the normal Seabourn standard.

We can all get a bit touchy when our favourite line is criticised, if we think it is unfair.  They all have their good points and less good ones depending on what your own priorities are.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Apologies for what I said - in fact some of them were from Crystal fans who were genuinely having problems, as is now emerging, in that some of the SB ships are not operating as well as they should.  I am pleased that you are on a 'good' one, more typical of the normal Seabourn standard.

We can all get a bit touchy when our favourite line is criticised, if we think it is unfair.  They all have their good points and less good ones depending on what your own priorities are.

Many thank and the apology unnecessary as I didn’t take your words personally. 

all business, including all lux cruise lines are struggling with finding the right balance, post Covid, for providing the best possible service…nothing is or ever was perfect.  Have there been a few service issues on the ovation…Yes…nothing that can’t be corrected and all is fine.  The ovation staff/crew are terrific.

it certainly seems that the ovation is more typical of the normal seabourn standard.  My next cruise is on the quest and I’m sure it will be just fine.

we loved crystal, it ceased operations in January and we have a wait and see regarding the “new” crystal.  We also booked a silversea cruise in 2023.  For now, we found a wonderful cruising home on seabourn and the future is bright

Nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Agree with your comments and a few to add from recent Quest cruise from a long time Seabourn fan. 

-Need sugar in your coffee - be prepared to disassemble the container - New devices for sugar and sweetner just don't work in marine environment.

-Want a hot, to order breakfast - place an order and you will have a 50-50 chance with a 33% chance it will take over 20 minutes.

-Want a printed daily Herald - Just ask, and ask, and ask, and ask.

And yes did we did complete a review and several discussions with mgrs

@jtslattery

You mean these awful contraptions?  The sugar clumps inside. Taking the top off creates a sugar mess all over your hands and the table.  Even after you unclump it, the container needs to be almost full to work.  Form is not following function. Chuck em overboard.

Fortunately for us this was the worst thing on our recent Venture cruise. Except for the housekeepers not leaving toilet paper.  First world problems.20220821_082655.thumb.jpg.c2ff0114d541b8c20931bddb99c55638.jpg

3 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

@jtslattery

You mean these awful contraptions?  The sugar clumps inside. Taking the top off creates a sugar mess all over your hands and the table.  Even after you unclump it, the container needs to be almost full to work.  Form is not following function. Chuck em overboard.

Fortunately for us this was the worst thing on our recent Venture cruise. Except for the housekeepers not leaving toilet paper.  First world problems.20220821_082655.thumb.jpg.c2ff0114d541b8c20931bddb99c55638.jpg

fully concur about this on the ovation.  I decided to being my own Splenda packets on our next cruise. 😄. everything else was stellar

Nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 1

We were among those 'poor, unfortunate Quest cruisers."  Totally agree that the sugar needs to be rethought.  What came with room service was fine, other than that, No.  

The service in the Colonnade was not up to Seabourn standards,and sometimes really frustrating, but we didn't find it nearly as bad as others who voiced their opinions.  Service in the Restaurant was also sometimes slow.  However, I thought the food was just as good as always (even though they had supply issues and didn't have real Seabourn fries for about 2 weeks!!!!!) but my husband thought it was not quite as good.  I think he's just used to it.  

Other than that, the ship looked absolutely great.  We had no issues with spaces being clean or tidy.  Seabourn Square did a great job, just one glitch with some ArriveCanada info which they aided the rush of confused passengers and sent out additional information right away.  Our room stewards were superb.  Herald delivery was always there and very helpful.  Enrichment speakers, Venture team and officers were all great.  

I found the experience not quite Seabourn, but I also experienced that last fall on Ovation when we had the first Covid cases on board and so many events were changed.  

The WSJ had an article today that companies in a variety of business are having difficulty retaining help. As a result a lot of inexperienced workers are causing service issues. After reading the article, It’s obvious that these issues aren’t unique to Seabourn. Nonetheless that’s not much comfort if the service you’ve come to enjoy is lacking. Just my 2 cents worth .I’ll be on the Quest in October. 

30 minutes ago, fdnycruiser said:

The WSJ had an article today that companies in a variety of business are having difficulty retaining help. As a result a lot of inexperienced workers are causing service issues. After reading the article, It’s obvious that these issues aren’t unique to Seabourn. Nonetheless that’s not much comfort if the service you’ve come to enjoy is lacking. Just my 2 cents worth .I’ll be on the Quest in October. 

I think this  is most definitely affecting a variety of businesses.  Everywhere we go we are seeing "We're Hiring" or "Help Wanted" signs--even at the U. S. Post Office.  It does not surprise me that cruise lines are struggling to get and retain enough staff.  Add to that, some who might ordinarily be interested in a cruise line career may be hesitant because of Covid.  

Edited by SLSD

Have to comment here- we just got off of the Quest on Monday from a Dover to Montreal cruise.   This was our second Seabourn cruise, having done one about 3 years ago.

Yes, the ship was spotless and the room stewards pretty good. The itinerary was great.  But have to agree that the restaurants service was definitely not up to par. Have to ask Seabourn if they know they aren’t going to have enough help, why not reduce the number of passengers??

Got seasick one night, so my husband called for some toast and green apples.  After an hour past, he called them and asked where it was.  They called back a few minutes later and asked it they could bring it by in an hour!!  Two hours for toast and green apples!!

and, so much is done via computer - why?  The passengers ranged in age from about 50s to 80s.  Most can do quite a few things in the computer but Seabourn wanted you to do everything on one.  Sorry, not for us.

There were 2 future itineraries I was going to book onboard to take advantage of discounts.  We did not book them…

Thee were other things wrong, enough that I don’t see us traveling on them again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Obviously, a list of disappointed cruisers sailing on Quest.   Happy campers on the two larger ships.

What's the deal with writing "first world problems?"   Passengers are paying a price based upon advertised promises for a product not being delivered.   Seeing "first world problems" written over and over and over by a few posters.    Why?   I do not understand.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For me, not being able to easily get sugar out of a container falls in the category of a "First world problem", which is why I wrote it.  I cannot speak for others.

If others feel that not getting what they paid for on a luxury cruise liner is a second or third world problem, they have every right to feel that way.

Do I feel that luxury cruise standards are not up to pre pandemic levels. You betcha.  I have two choices. Stay home and wait till they recover.  Or go knowing that there will be problems for at least the next year, probably longer. However when said problems arise I will do what I can to discuss and seek remedy for those problems. But I also know that I am so fortunate that these are the problems that I have.

Edited by highplanesdrifters
  • Like 2

Got on Quest Monday in Montreal. We were really concerned after following CC for the past several months. 
So far, it is far more positive than negative. Re some specifics: ordered blueberry pancakes with bacon and sunny side up eggs this morning in Colonnade. Took about 10-12 minutes to get delivered to our table and the place was jammed. 
Have ordered room service breakfast several times due to early tours. Appears exactly on time or a few minutes early, everything correct. Agree on the sugar and everything on the computer. We asked for the Herald daily delivered to our cabin when we boarded, getting it every night when we return. Food generally good to better. TK Grill last night, food excellent, service (wine replenishment) a bit inattentive. Had to wait list for a second night. 
Service in Observation Bar is extremely quick, even delivering the caviar plate. All staff trying really hard, we have had very few misses. Caviar in the Surf today (at the pool) was fun and well attended. Seabourn singers and dancers are excellent (we are not Broadway critics). 
Internet is a problem, very sketchy at best. My solution so far is working…usually. I keep my iPhone on mobile only, no wifi. I keep my iPad on the Seabourn wifi. Overall, I think things are going quite well. 
BTW this is our fifth Seabourn cruise. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, alidor said:

Got seasick one night, so my husband called for some toast and green apples.  After an hour past, he called them and asked where it was.  They called back a few minutes later and asked it they could bring it by in an hour!!  Two hours for toast and green apples!!

If you were seasick the night of the very rough seas, I was wary of even getting out of bed.  Crew members were running in the hall outside our cabin securing doors.  a pool lounger smashed into and broke the glass on the on-deck shower.  It was a interesting night.  I can very well understand a delay in delivering room service.

Being seasick is not fun (I've been told...doesn't seem to bother me), but we carry our own meds just in case.