proposal

Go to one of the photo spots and let the photographer know you're going to propose. Follow along with all the poses and drop to one knee and pop the question. Bonus: the photographer will capture the moment.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Propose early...then the rest of the week will be your honeymoon.:classic_biggrin:

No way! If she says no you will still have to share a room or sleep in the hallway. 😆😆😆😆

Congratulations to the OP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My son proposed to his wife on Adventure of the Seas.  It was the first formal night and he was very nervous.  He asked her to go for a walk on the pool deck but she wanted to stay inside. He insisted they take a walk and this pissed her off.  So in the middle of being chewed out, he got down on one knee and popped the question.  She burst into tears, said yes, and continued chewing him out. 

This was 18 years and three wonderful children ago.  Do what feels right and congratulations. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, bgoff60 said:

Can you get to the Helipad these days???  We tried last time and it was 'closed to the public'...we were sad...

Yeah I was just on adventure in Jun.  Really nice up there with benches and all.  Usually very few people if any.

Find a place on deck under the stars with no one around, soak in the romantic mood, and do it then. If you want a more public proposal, though, I thought the poster’s idea of in a photo backdrop, so the photographer could capture the moment, and she wouldn’t expect it was creative and cool.

• Like 1

I have a very unique perspective on this.  My very first Royal Caribbean cruise was on Jewel of the Sea.  

It was on this cruise, I had decided to propose to my girlfriend at the time (this was in 2008).  I did it on the balcony of our stateroom under a full moon.  It was great.  We broke up 4 months later.

Fast forward to 2013, I'm ready to propose to my girlfriend at this time.  We were preparing to go on a cruise on Independence of the Seas.  My thoughts still remain on what I had done before and my friend @death_star mentioned this to me.  "Do you want to do this on a ship again?  I mean, think about it.  At SOME point in your marriage, you're going to want to return to the place you got engaged.  Despite the fact that cruise ships have a fairly long shelf life, at some point, the ship will be decommissioned and that spot will be gone forever"  I thought about this and realized that as awesome as it would be get engaged on a cruise ship, the location would not be as permanent as a site at a port of call.  So instead of doing on the ship, I chose a great location in St. Maartin.  Actually it was on the pier in Marigot.  Unbeknownst to me at the time, on the pier, this was written.  File:Toi La! Je t'aime! (15692625794).jpg

This is written everywhere down there.  It actually means "Hey there, I love you" (or so i am to believe).  So I literally proposed in front of this sign on the pier (not this photo).  I do not speak or understand French, but my wife does, and she thinks I planned that.  I absolutely did not.

So my opinion from both sides.  Getting engaged on a cruise ship has its perks and novelty.  But in 20, or 30 years, you may not be able to come back to the place you got engaged.  But for me, I can say we got engaged while cruising on the Independence of the Seas, however, I can also return to the pier to the exact spot where i proposed to my wife.  Marigot will always hold a special place in our heart and St. Maarten is still our favorite island in the Caribbean.

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

I have a very unique perspective on this.  My very first Royal Caribbean cruise was on Jewel of the Sea.  

It was on this cruise, I had decided to propose to my girlfriend at the time (this was in 2008).  I did it on the balcony of our stateroom under a full moon.  It was great.  We broke up 4 months later.

Fast forward to 2013, I'm ready to propose to my girlfriend at this time.  We were preparing to go on a cruise on Independence of the Seas.  My thoughts still remain on what I had done before and my friend @death_star mentioned this to me.  "Do you want to do this on a ship again?  I mean, think about it.  At SOME point in your marriage, you're going to want to return to the place you got engaged.  Despite the fact that cruise ships have a fairly long shelf life, at some point, the ship will be decommissioned and that spot will be gone forever"  I thought about this and realized that as awesome as it would be get engaged on a cruise ship, the location would not be as permanent as a site at a port of call.  So instead of doing on the ship, I chose a great location in St. Maartin.  Actually it was on the pier in Marigot.  Unbeknownst to me at the time, on the pier, this was written.  File:Toi La! Je t'aime! (15692625794).jpg

This is written everywhere down there.  It actually means "Hey there, I love you" (or so i am to believe).  So I literally proposed in front of this sign on the pier (not this photo).  I do not speak or understand French, but my wife does, and she thinks I planned that.  I absolutely did not.

So my opinion from both sides.  Getting engaged on a cruise ship has its perks and novelty.  But in 20, or 30 years, you may not be able to come back to the place you got engaged.  But for me, I can say we got engaged while cruising on the Independence of the Seas, however, I can also return to the pier to the exact spot where i proposed to my wife.  Marigot will always hold a special place in our heart and St. Maarten is still our favorite island in the Caribbean.

interesting perspective , but only valid if returning to the spot is important.

I would argue that returning to the vast ocean that God created for us would be good enough for me.

People get engaged (and married) on ships all the time! wonder how many look back and think what you've pointed out.

Interesting thoughts 

Did the Blue Lagoon VIP in Nassau back last August.  Guy proposed there in front of the ocean and staff manned the camera.  She said yes and he didn't drop the ring in the sand/coral (although almost did).

Returning to the spot where you were engaged is probably not going to be very important.  I proposed to my wife (oh so many decades ago!) in a hotel in New Orleans.  Neither of us can even remember which hotel it was.  

• Haha 2

On 8/23/2022 at 7:08 PM, Ozark_Kid said:

Go on the Perfect Storm.  You have to beat her to the end. Maybe tell the guard at the top what you are doing so the guard can slow her down.  Jump out at the end and wait for her to pop out!

Or 

Go to the Wall climbing.  As she gets to the top, drop to the bottom,  get on one knee with the ring out and wait for her to land! 

Both would be a huge surprise.  Either would be an experience you would not forget. 

On 8/23/2022 at 7:26 PM, ZoeyVictoria said:

She would probably appreciate having it happen on formal night, when she is dressed up.

The difference between how men and women think.😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

After 60+ years of happy bachelorhood,  "Don't do it!".  But if your (heart or something else) is absolutely set on it, ask her what she would like before hand.  Yeah, I know that would spoil the surprise, but it would let you both make it that absolutely special occasion that would last until you are eligible for mention on Paul Harvey's "Tournament of Roses".  You can do the proposal just how the two of you want it.  Make it special and memorable together.  The wedding will be a pitched battle between inlaws, and hopefully it will be something for stories and laughter.  If you plan the proposal together you can make the entire cruise the event, and add just a bit more at each port call.  With that bit of planning, the porters, attendants, waiters, actors, entertainers, and maybe even the Captain herself can get into the act.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PolicromaSol said:

You know, there is that little chapel on the very tippy top of the ship, IIRC...

Oh wait, that got suggested already. 🤣

Yeah, I can't stand that chapel.  Besides feeling very cheesy, it's usually hot and being the highest point on the ship, it's prone to more motion.  We were once up there for a private photo shoot and it was futile - my wife was "green" and the photographer couldn't keep the camera still.  I almost paid for the pics just because they were so hilariously awful. 

On 8/24/2022 at 4:27 PM, LobsterStalker said:

interesting perspective , but only valid if returning to the spot is important.

I would argue that returning to the vast ocean that God created for us would be good enough for me.

People get engaged (and married) on ships all the time! wonder how many look back and think what you've pointed out.

Interesting thoughts 

Getting married on a ship in February, not RCI though.  It’s an old ship already, so I know her years are numbered.  But it’s the first ship we ever cruised on!  And she’s always had a special place in my heart.  We had the cruise booked already just for the fun of it, but then decided everything seemed right and decided to get married on that cruise.  I’ve considered that someday she’ll be scraped, but it’s just another piece of our story!  

Edited by StephPS79
  • Like 3

On 8/23/2022 at 7:47 PM, bgoff60 said:

Can you get to the Helipad these days???  We tried last time and it was 'closed to the public'...we were sad...

Helipad is open on Freedom, Voyager, and Radiance class ships ...  as long as the weather is good.  If you are sailing or if it is raining, there is a good chance it might be closed.

If there is an evening that the Flowrider is not running, a spot over looking the wake of the ship would be great.

I like the idea of scheming with the cruise director and have him bring both of you up on stage at a show in the main theater.  Might try to send an email in advance.

On 8/23/2022 at 6:12 PM, clskinsfan said:

You could get someone from the entertainment staff to help you if you want to do it on a stage.

If you go public, please remember to have the conversation about the proposal in general before doing it so publicly 😬 I feel like proposals should never be a true surprise.

Head up to the Viking Crown Lounge one night before dinner. Sit down and order a drink and ask one of the bar stewards to bring the ring when they bring the cocktails. I think that location would be the perfect place, especially during a quiet time up there.