Can 1 person in the cabin buy a drink package and the other NOT?

I have been hearing mixed things on this. If one of us drinks booze and the other drinks water only, I don't see why both of us would need to buy an alcohol package?

Someone said one can buy alcohol package ($75per day) and the other can buy a Beverage ($30) per day but why would that be needed if that person doesn't drink soda?

You will need to get into a long(?) discussion with a Royal customer service agent and maybe up the chain of command and try to convince them that you are they only person in the  stateroom that will(or can) consume anything other than the freely provided beverages. Then you might be able to only purchase one plan.  Some people are successful in this endeavor. 

• Like 1

Too many people were buying only one package and sharing it, so each adult in the cabin must buy at least the refreshment package if the other person buys the alcohol package, and you must call to arrange that. If you don't feel that you will get your monies worth, you can certainly buy by the drink, as well as carry two bottles of wine on board. 

• Like 1

You are paying the price for cheaters.  It's that simple.

The refreshment package includes far more than soda.  Specialty coffee.  Juice.  Bottled water, still or mineral.  Smoothies.  Milkshakes.

But the answer is simple, too.  If you don't think you will consume that much, just buy each drink individually.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

Too many people were buying only one package and sharing it, so each adult in the cabin must buy at least the refreshment package if the other person buys the alcohol package, and you must call to arrange that. If you don't feel that you will get your monies worth, you can certainly buy by the drink, as well as carry two bottles of wine on board. 

Agree. OP if cost is too high just pay by the Drink rather then get 2 different Drink Packages

2 hours ago, fla33023 said:

I called today and said my husband wanted deluxe, I wanted refreshment and my daughter wanted soda. She said it was a great day to call because the package prices had come down. That was it.

I think she might have fibbed to you. 😕Keep checking the prices in your planner. 

Edited by Coralc

3 hours ago, tomahawk246 said:

If you get a note from your doctor. Stating  that you can’t drink alcohol and you can’t have carbonated drinks one person will be allowed to purchase. 

This^^ My DIL's mom, who is now in her 90"s, had her doctor write a note about her issues and my DIL does not have to buy a package for her mom.

As a Diamond plus, we get 5 daily drinks automatically.  But, I am taking my brother on his 1st cruise.  If he buys a drink package will I need to buy another package for me?  I can't even drink the 5 free ones I already drink, and I don't drink coffee or sodas at all. Wondering if my 5 drink package counts as a drink package or exempts me from having to buy another full drink package?

5 hours ago, retiredgram said:

This^^ My DIL's mom, who is now in her 90"s, had her doctor write a note about her issues and my DIL does not have to buy a package for her mom.

No need to provide “proof”.  Call & request the refreshment package for the person.  If you get any push back, hang up & call again.  Based on the reports here, it’s becoming pretty common.

47 minutes ago, wyldkarma said:

As a Diamond plus, we get 5 daily drinks automatically.  But, I am taking my brother on his 1st cruise.  If he buys a drink package will I need to buy another package for me?  I can't even drink the 5 free ones I already drink, and I don't drink coffee or sodas at all. Wondering if my 5 drink package counts as a drink package or exempts me from having to buy another full drink package?

You would need to buy a package.  You will most likely be able to get the refreshment package.  Your 5 drink vouchers do not count as a package. 

5 hours ago, wyldkarma said:

If he is sharing your cabin and buys the deluxe alcoholic package you will have to purchase the refreshment package.  Refreshment package includes soda, bottled water, specialty coffee, smoothies, virgin drinks,  fresh squeezed juice and more. Your five free drinks are not a package. You could have him just purchase his drinks individually.   Don’t forget you can use your free drinks for bottled water to take on excursions - they don’t have to be five alcoholic drinks. 

8 hours ago, wyldkarma said:

You could buy your brother five drinks with your vouchers, and then he could just pay per drink for any other drinks he wants instead of getting the Deluxe Beverage Package.  Unless he's planning on getting absolutely SMASHED every single day, that would be cheaper than him paying for the DBP plus a Refreshment package for you.  

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 10:33 PM, Coralc said:

I think she might have fibbed to you. 😕Keep checking the prices in your planner. 

How could she fib to me about published prices. The deluxe pkg for Nov 2023 cruise was $105 when I booked.  It was $83 the day I purchased it.

On 8/28/2022 at 11:05 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

You would need to buy a package.  You will most likely be able to get the refreshment package.  Your 5 drink vouchers do not count as a package. 

Ken, if one person wants Refreshments/ Soda do both people in the room have to buy the package? 

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Ken, if one person wants Refreshments/ Soda do both people in the room have to buy the package? 

Not for the refreshment.

It's only the deluxe that requires all adults in the same room to purchase it.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fla33023 said:

How could she fib to me about published prices. The deluxe pkg for Nov 2023 cruise was $105 when I booked.  It was $83 the day I purchased it.

I’m thinking, and it’s just a guess based on the DBP I’ve been tracking, that $105 might have been the totally non discounted price?  And $83 was a sale?  If do, it was not much of a sale.  $83 is not  a particularly good price for the DBP.  Keep watching for it to hopefully go down.

12 hours ago, poocher said:

I’m thinking, and it’s just a guess based on the DBP I’ve been tracking, that $105 might have been the totally non discounted price?  And $83 was a sale?  If do, it was not much of a sale.  $83 is not  a particularly good price for the DBP.  Keep watching for it to hopefully go down.

I agree that it's a terrible price. Like I said, the price went down and when I called to book it, she noted that lots of packages had went down that morning and people were calling in. That's all I'm saying. Hopefully it goes down again and I will rebook. 

To cut to the chase and get you an answer w/o the baggage of opinion,

You can't buy just one Deluxe Package 'on-line'. 

But...

You can buy just one package if you call and order through an agent. But they will require you to purchase a refreshment package for all other adults in the cabin though.

On 8/27/2022 at 7:28 PM, fla33023 said:

I called today and said my husband wanted deluxe, I wanted refreshment and my daughter wanted soda. She said it was a great day to call because the package prices had come down. That was it.

This. Just call. They'll accommodate you. The online cart does not allow for this though. 

On 8/28/2022 at 7:51 AM, tomahawk246 said:

If you get a note from your doctor. Stating  that you can’t drink alcohol and you can’t have carbonated drinks one person will be allowed to purchase. 

You don’t need a doctors note. There are 4 in our cabin. 2 people drink alcohol 2 of us don’t. We bought 2 alcohol beverage packages and 2 of the ones that have soda, coffee, etc. wasn’t a problem at all