Solstice Breakfast Choices

ScottC4746

We leave for Alaska on Friday on the Solstice and we always debate for breakfast.  This is our first Celebrity cruise so this is why the question.

I like the service of being able to have breakfast in the main dining room while DH does not.  He sometimes feels there is more offering in the buffet.

Lunch I know is buffet unless it is a sea day.  What is your feelings on main dining for lunches?  At least you don't have the table hogs to deal with.

7 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

We leave for Alaska on Friday on the Solstice and we always debate for breakfast.  This is our first Celebrity cruise so this is why the question.

I like the service of being able to have breakfast in the main dining room while DH does not.  He sometimes feels there is more offering in the buffet.

Lunch I know is buffet unless it is a sea day.  What is your feelings on main dining for lunches?  At least you don't have the table hogs to deal with.

I enjoy breakfast on the balcony and lunch in MDR on sea days. Never been a fan of buffets for many reasons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

I enjoy breakfast on the balcony and lunch in MDR on sea days. Never been a fan of buffets for many reasons. 

I assume you aren't in a suite or you would have another choice, Luminae. If Aqua class Blu and option for breakfast.    We also do not like buffets unless we are the first people to arrive- cannot deal with picked over food even before covid- we also like room service as an option   We have had tables for two in the MDR also for breakfast and the food was good.  The mast grill is good for Hot dogs, burgers , trimmings and sometimes other choices for lunch.  Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We also do not like buffets unless we are the first people to arrive- cannot deal with picked over food even before covid-

I got turned off buffets years ago when I saw people put food on their plates then scrape it back onto the serving trays.  Sailing solo on this upcoming cruise so usually opt for table of 6 to 8 in the MDR.  I booked a C1 on the wake of the ship so I can enjoy the views. 

We did the Blu every morning for breakfast. We enjoyed the quiet leisurely pace.  The morning of the glacier cruising we do room service breakfast.  Lunches we usually went to the MDR except once went to Sushi on 5. We did inquire with Tuscan about serving lunch as they used to pre Covid 1-2 week. They did not offer it this time.

3 hours ago, drakes2 said:

not a big fan of buffets either...... If you are one minute late for dinner in the MDR, you get half the buffet as your dinner choice - boo.

3 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I don’t understand… please explain Gatordad

we came back from an excursion late.  We were ready to go at 9:05 pm.  MDR was closed and there were no other dinner options like they have on NCL etc. that were open.  We went to the buffet, and they had already closed half of it up.

4 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Eat separately or alternate - problem solved.

52 minutes ago, Gatordad1967 said:

we came back from an excursion late.  We were ready to go at 9:05 pm.  MDR was closed and there were no other dinner options like they have on NCL etc. that were open.  We went to the buffet, and they had already closed half of it up.

You could have called and ordered Room Service from the MDR menu as soon as you reached your cabin. What time did you get back to the ship?? If you need a super long time to get ready for dinner that's really not Celebrity's fault. Even the regular Room Service menu is available until late.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, North2Alaska10 said:

We did the Blu every morning for breakfast. We enjoyed the quiet leisurely pace.  The morning of the glacier cruising we do room service breakfast.  Lunches we usually went to the MDR except once went to Sushi on 5. We did inquire with Tuscan about serving lunch as they used to pre Covid 1-2 week. They did not offer it this time.

You're an early riser. For lazy folks like me who like to grab breakfast after 9/9:30 Blu is basically no option anymore as they close very early. Frustrating!

When we did our Alaska cruise( in fact, all our X cruises) we were in AQ, so we had Blu.  There are some options in the buffet that you can't get in Blu( I wanted grits, I can't remember which ship we were on that brought me some, and which didn't).  I think the pancakes in Blu, are "blueberry" or Vanilla and on the buffet, they are plain.  You can't get hash browns( the triangle) in Blu( unless they bring it for you).   Sometimes, we wanted a quicker breakfast, so we just went to OV.  Blu tended to be more leisurely. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gatordad1967 said:

The much of the buffet is repeated at 2 stations , so when they close half you still have most of the options available.  

5 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

You're an early riser. For lazy folks like me who like to grab breakfast after 9/9:30 Blu is basically no option anymore as they close very early. Frustrating!

I pretty much only eat there on Debarkation day since I have to be up early and ready to go.

They should definitely serve breakfast longer.  It is vacation after all. 😅  I always put that in my post cruise survey.  Hasn't worked yet.  

As for the OP... I order room service to be delivered.  Fruit, poached eggs on toast or a bagel and sometimes a blueberry muffin to have while getting ready.  

I do enjoy Eggs Benedict.  I definitely have it on the last day.  Sometimes earlier if I decide to venture out of the cabin super early. 😉

If I eat breakfast, not in the cabin, I prefer sit down, not the buffet.

🍹

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PinkSandGirl said:

I pretty much only eat there on Debarkation day since I have to be up early and ready to go.

They should definitely serve breakfast longer.  It is vacation after all. 😅  I always put that in my post cruise survey.  Hasn't worked yet.  

I agree! One thing I really loved about Crystal was you could get sit down breakfast service (waited on) at the pool grill type place until 11:00. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sbcs5390 said:

I agree! One thing I really loved about Crystal was you could get sit down breakfast service (waited on) at the pool grill type place until 11:00. 

Wow. 11am. That would be nice! 

It takes me about 1.5 hours to get ready so to make breakfast before 9am on a sea day, I need to be up by 7am.  Too early for me most days while at sea.  😉

I am more of a lunch person.   Even if I eat a full breakfast,  I still need lunch.  However, if a sit down breakfast was available later, I would be more likely to go at times.

🍹

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

No one has mentioned the spa cafe yet as an option for breakfast or lunch

If I get up early I will sometimes go to the spa Cafe for tea and a bagel. On my Hawaii cruise in May the bagels were stale and they ran out of one of the bagel toppings. 

20 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

20 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I assume you aren't in a suite or you would have another choice, Luminae.  But we do not like buffets unless we are the first people to arrive- cannot deal with picked over food even before covid- we also like room service as an option   We have had tables for two in the MDR also for breakfast.  The mast grill is good for Hot dogs, burgers , trimmings and sometimes other choices for lunch.  Enjoy your cruise.

9 hours ago, PinkSandGirl said:

As for the OP... I order room service to be delivered.  Fruit, poached eggs on toast or a bagel and sometimes a blueberry muffin to have while getting ready.  

I do enjoy Eggs Benedict.  I definitely have it on the last day.  Sometimes earlier if I decide to venture out of the cabin super early. 😉

If I eat breakfast, not in the cabin, I prefer sit down, not the buffet.

🍹

Yes it is a rush to get to the Blu in the morning. I did notice mid week they extended the hours to half hour later. We keep staff names and notes for the post cruise survey, but never get them. None of our party got one. I would also mention later breakfast hours!

On 8/31/2022 at 8:16 AM, calicakes said:

When we did our Alaska cruise( in fact, all our X cruises) we were in AQ, so we had Blu.  There are some options in the buffet that you can't get in Blu( I wanted grits, I can't remember which ship we were on that brought me some, and which didn't).  I think the pancakes in Blu, are "blueberry" or Vanilla and on the buffet, they are plain.  You can't get hash browns( the triangle) in Blu( unless they bring it for you).   Sometimes, we wanted a quicker breakfast, so we just went to OV.  Blu tended to be more leisurely. 

I like corned beef hash they have at the buffet (not available in BLU) but then again, BLU has fresh juices and smoothies.