Don’t Get Covid on Princess

memoak

Royal Princess Aug 20 - Sep 3. First day out captain announced masks were required indoors. 95% refused to mask. Crew and officers would not enforce. Told me there would be too much screaming and yelling if they tried. What happened ?  Guess what an outbreak occurred including us. We masked except when eating or drinking but still got covid. In isolation wing which seems to stretch the entire port side of dolphin deck. Crew could care less about you. No communication   No help from anyone. There are so many ill that medical doesn’t even check in you after you are isolated and they want you to make your own hotel arrangements since they don’t have enough rooms booked      In addition they will tell you that their arranged rooms were $500 CSD per day if you can’t afford you are on your own What more can I say after 43 Princess cruises in 30+ years

Edited by memoak
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

So sorry to hear this. It does seem to be the same sentiment so many others have voiced - frankly, I'm surprised that this continues to be the treatment of passengers that test positive. Also a little concerned, as I'm on Royal on September 17th. Hoping you don't feel too sick and recover quickly. How long do you have to quarantine once you disembark in Vancouver?

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

So sorry to hear this. It does seem to be the same sentiment so many others have voiced - frankly, I'm surprised that this continues to be the treatment of passengers that test positive. Also a little concerned, as I'm on Royal on September 17th. Hoping you don't feel too sick and recover quickly. How long do you have to quarantine once you disembark in Vancouver?

6 more days. Then find our way back home

8 minutes ago, memoak said:

6 more days. Then find our way back home

I live in Vancouver, about an 8 minute walk from the port, so if you need anything dropped off to the hotel reach out. I'm assuming they will put you in one of the ones near Canada Place? You might want to ask about the possibility of them bussing you to Seattle - they have definitely done that in the past (literally herd you off the ship straight to a bus that is instructed not to stop until across the border, so technically not "entering" Canada). At least you would be closer to home and back in the US...

• Like 15

7 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I live in Vancouver, about an 8 minute walk from the port, so if you need anything dropped off to the hotel reach out. I'm assuming they will put you in one of the ones near Canada Place? You might want to ask about the possibility of them bussing you to Seattle - they have definitely done that in the past (literally herd you off the ship straight to a bus that is instructed not to stop until across the border, so technically not "entering" Canada). At least you would be closer to home and back in the US...

No they try and push you out to the airport. I don’t want to put anyone at risk until I am no longer infected

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Royal Princess Aug 20 - Sep 3. First day out captain announced masks were required indoors. 95% refused to mask. Crew and officers would not enforce. Told me there would be too much screaming and yelling if they tried. What happened ?  Guess what an outbreak occurred including us. We masked except when eating or drinking but still got covid. In isolation wing which seems to stretch the entire port side of dolphin deck. Crew could care less about you. No communication   No help from anyone. There are so many ill that medical doesn’t even check in you after you are isolated and they want you to make your own hotel arrangements since they don’t have enough rooms booked      In addition they will tell you that their arranged rooms were $500 CSD per day if you can’t afford you are on your own What more can I say after 43 Princess cruises in 30+ years

Forrest Gump's momma said, "Stupid is as stupid does".  Same on the Grand in April, 200 cases made local news in LA.  Thankful that we made it out uninfected...  

So sorry you got Covid, you did what you needed to do.  We got bit late 2020 by someone who later died of it. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, memoak said:

No they try and push you out to the airport. I don’t want to put anyone at risk until I am no longer infected

They can’t put you up at a hotel in SEA? 
They had been bussing covid guests to SEA. 
What a mess.

How did they know you had Covid?  Are they testing all the passengers?  Were you that ill that you went to medical?

I am on the Island on Oct and loading up on antigen tests to bring with me so I can test myself.  Fortunately the new booster will be available before I leave and I’ll get my 3rd booster.

• Like 3

Just for perspective, I watch a Vlog from a Royal Caribbean performer and she tested positive for Covid. She was isolated and even though she reminded them she was a vegetarian they still brought meat options and one night they forgot dinner completely.

My parents had a similar experience on Holland America where they forgot  to deliver food and even Tylenol.  

Seems it’s an issue all over.

I vote that isolation goes away with testing.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Why not is there a better place. 😳
Tony

Because a lot of us do not fly to Vancouver we use land transport. Plus the food amenities at an airport property are not close to those downtown 

1 hour ago, RNRcruisers said:

Why don't they have better protocols by now

What exactly do you have in mind ?

Masks are of limited use, social distancing is uneconomic,  and passengers can go ashore where there are no precautions of any sort. 

Covid is here to stay, and there are no protocols on earth that will stop jt spreading.

• Like 16

Our experience on the Majestic was very different.  We tested positive the fourth day of our Alaskan cruise.  We were informed of what was going to occur and were moved to an isolation cabin across Dolphin deck.  We received multiple calls from medical and from passenger services advising us of what would/needed to occur from the time we entered isolation until we disembarked.  If we had a question, we called them.  

We had no problems with food or delivery...just picked up the phone and ordered what we wanted, including our Crown Grill dinner which was set for the 6th night of the cruise.  Passenger services even arranged for someone to "shop" for me as there was something at the store I wanted to purchase.

I think people forget that the passenger services, food service, etc cannot read your mind.  Pick up the phone and ask.  If someone doesn't know the answer, ask to speak with someone else.  

I do think that Princess' handling of quarantine/isolation once off the ship should be clearer.  We, too, were surprised that we needed to make our own arrangements for accommodations after our one night in a hotel reserved by Princess (which we thought Princess was paying for....NOT!). We did book an Airbnb with was much less expensive and nicer than any hotel room.  Thank goodness for travel insurance which will reimburse us.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

What exactly do you have in mind ?

Masks are of limited use, social distancing is uneconomic,  and passengers can go ashore where there are no precautions of any sort. 

Covid is here to stay, and there are no protocols on earth that will stop jt spreading.

I was talking about quarantine protocols.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Required or recommended ?? 

Required and it was in writing. Staff just will not enforce saying to us  “when we try to enforce we get cursed at. If we try and hand them a mask they throw it back at us

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, pklein9747 said:

Our experience on the Majestic was very different.  We tested positive the fourth day of our Alaskan cruise.  We were informed of what was going to occur and were moved to an isolation cabin across Dolphin deck.  We received multiple calls from medical and from passenger services advising us of what would/needed to occur from the time we entered isolation until we disembarked.  If we had a question, we called them.  

We had no problems with food or delivery...just picked up the phone and ordered what we wanted, including our Crown Grill dinner which was set for the 6th night of the cruise.  Passenger services even arranged for someone to "shop" for me as there was something at the store I wanted to purchase.

I think people forget that the passenger services, food service, etc cannot read your mind.  Pick up the phone and ask.  If someone doesn't know the answer, ask to speak with someone else.  

I do think that Princess' handling of quarantine/isolation once off the ship should be clearer.  We, too, were surprised that we needed to make our own arrangements for accommodations after our one night in a hotel reserved by Princess (which we thought Princess was paying for....NOT!). We did book an Airbnb with was much less expensive and nicer than any hotel room.  Thank goodness for travel insurance which will reimburse us.

I think the difference is that this ship is over run with covid cases. Medical services has not checked in on since the got us Paxlovid. Guest services is useless we port tomorrow and have no idea of any process. Our food orders are almost always incorrect and sometimes they do not even send 2 sets of utensils. When I called for another I was told it would take 1/2 hour to find someone allowed to come to covid zone. I also believe they have more cases than they have contracted rooms for and we are all having to find rooms ourselves from a list they gave and hope we will be reimbursed someday 

Edited by memoak
  • Like 1

Since it is pretty widely known among passengers that if you report systems, you go to isolation and are treated badly, I got to think a lot of people are not reporting, just self isolating in their cabin.   This of course, greatly reduces the number of reported cases and the need to set aside (and not sell) cabins for isolation purposes- which is probably OK with princess.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, memoak said:

Required and it was in writing. Staff just will not enforce saying to us  “when we try to enforce we get cursed at. If we try and hand them a mask they throw it back at us

That seems about the same when we cruises in March. Not many people were interested in wearing a mask back then either.

I suppose it's just not the right time for people to cruise if they still have any reservations about catching Covid. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Try and imagine what kind of people would curse and throw a mask at a crew member who is simply trying to encourage people to follow the rules? 

Not anyone that I want to be on a cruise or anywhere else with.  Shame on anyone who behaves like that.

• Like 36
  • Thanks 6

5 minutes ago, dockman said:

Try and imagine what kind of people would curse and throw a mask at a crew member who is simply trying to encourage people to follow the rules? 

Not anyone that I want to be on a cruise or anywhere else with.  Shame on anyone who behaves like that.

It probably doesn’t help that 40% of cruisers on these cruise are first timers

• Like 1