Special birthday restaurant

snorkle lover

We will be on a Splendor cruise in the Caribbean in December. My DH will be celebrating a big birthday while we are on board. I would love any suggestions as to which specialty restaurant might be the best choice for a very special occasion. He enjoys all types of food!

Thank you

Interesting question and it depends on what the Birthday Boy prefers. I'm reading the suggestions and, while Pacific Rim is our fav restaurant (we love the food and presentations), I can understand the suggestions for P7. The decor and the layout seems better for a birthday celebration...layout, lighting, openess etc. Pacic Rim seems more intimate (we always get a corner table etc).  If it was by birthday, DW would want to go to Pacific Rim (if you get my drift 🙂 ). Are you going with a group or just you two ?    

• Like 1

Gcto, it will be just the two of us. We have only been on one other Regent cruise( 2019  Explorer) and we loved the food in the Pacific Rim. However, based on the opinions of CC cruisers and yours, I am leaning toward Prime 7 for DH's birthday . Will certainly try to get a reservation thought at Pacific Rim for a different night. Tomorrow is the day  for us to reserve specialty restaurants. I will be up and at it early as we EST!

On our March Splendor cruise, we were disappointed with Pacific Rim. Firstly…..there was no sake. Service was just ok, we found. Food was good but not great Asian, as we expected. We were in a suite where we could dine in any specialty restaurant of our choice any night, but after our first evening in PR we decided others were better and never went for a second dinner there. 

• Like 1

Prime 7. - if you are wine drinkers, pick out a great bottle and get them to decant it and/or let it breathe a few hours prior to dinner.   Don’t tell hubby you did this.    Order the seafood platter as an appetizer for both of you split - have them take everything out of the shell! 

Agree with the Pacific Rim comments,  it is ok Asian food.  Some dishes were very good and we had some very disappointing ones.   We also had service issues on both visits, which detailed on survey.  However, by June the sake  was back in the house! 

• Like 2

snorkle lover,

Like you we will be celebrating a birthday on our December cruise on the Splendor.

I just made our reservations and was able to get my wife’s choice of restaurants, dates and times.

• Like 1

I’ve been blessed to having had TWO birthdays celebrated in P7; one Wedding Anniversary in Chartreuse and even did Chinese New Year in Pacific Rim!  [Year of the Boar…].  That’s where I think each specialty restaurant fits. 😊

Living in a predominantly Asian region with authentic Asian Cuisine around every corner, the only criticism my LW and I have for Pacific Rim is that they ‘emulate’ the cuisines of Asia [well] but our educated palates can tell the difference.  That said;  I’d be pleased to eat there every third or fourth day aboard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daetchief said:

even did Chinese New Year in Pacific Rim!  [Year of the Boar…].  That’s where I think each specialty restaurant fits. 😊

Great idea.  We will be on explorer this Chinese New Year.  Did they do anything special at pac rim?

21 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

Prime 7. - if you are wine drinkers, pick out a great bottle and get them to decant it and/or let it breathe a few hours prior to dinner.   Don’t tell hubby you did this.    Order the seafood platter as an appetizer for both of you split - have them take everything out of the shell! 

Agree with the Pacific Rim comments,  it is ok Asian food.  Some dishes were very good and we had some very disappointing ones.   We also had service issues on both visits, which detailed on survey.  However, by June the sake  was back in the house! 

20 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

Great idea.  We will be on explorer this Chinese New Year.  Did they do anything special at pac rim?

They added a few hanging decorations of lanterns and other asian symbols.  There were a few 'specials' on the menu but to be honest I don't recall exactly what they were.   

The crew did a passible attempt at a Dragon Dance with the usual dragon costume but they didn't have a Tanggu drum to accompany it, so the Regent band's drummer did his best approximation on a 'bongo' style drum - but it was more cometic than authentic...   Hey, they tried...

• Like 1

I  mainly eat fish and seafood, and have never really enjoyed a meal at Prime 7. An appetizer and adessert are the best I could do. It would not be my choice for my Birthday or Anniversary. Chartreuse or Compass Rose would be my preference for a special occasion.