Ironing Clothes on Royal Caribbean Ovation of the Seas?

Matkai

Hi,  We have our very first cruise in March next year, looking ahead at what to pack and how, one of my concerns are that they do not supply an iron, nor are you allowed to bring your own 😞

can you brink a portable steamer? If not, what are the approximate prices for ironing a shirt or dress (not washing, just pressing?)

What do people do to get around this issue?  Tips and tricks?

10 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Downy wrinkle release spray.

Thank You, just tried to search and unfortunately I am unable to find anywhere I can buy this in Australia except for Amazon where it is $39 AUD for a travel size  😞 

Will check keep an eye out in Costco, they get some US items in every now and then. 🤞

31 minutes ago, CFLRetired said:

We've always bought a portable steamer.  We put it in our checked bags with no issues.

Thanks, I have a small travel one, I may consider risking it, I guess the worst thing they can do is take it off me and give it back at the end. It has auto cut off and cannot see how this could be a fire hazard when it uses water?  And especially when we can still bring hair dryer and curling iron which would be an even bigger fire hazard?  Maybe it is a money thing?

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Make new friends on the Roll Call thread for your sailing with some Americans and ask them to bring you some.

I am on the roll call but I think it is a bit early... I guess I am just eager with it being our first cruise to make sure we don't forget anything

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Make new friends on the Roll Call thread for your sailing with some Americans and ask them to bring you some.

Best idea. A travel bottle is just a gre dollars. 

leave the iron home 

Your luggage will be held in security rather than delivered to your cabin. You will need to go to security, open the case and give up the iron. Then after you leave the ship, you can pick it up. 

m

2 hours ago, Matkai said:

Thanks, I have a small travel one, I may consider risking it, I guess the worst thing they can do is take it off me and give it back at the end. It has auto cut off and cannot see how this could be a fire hazard when it uses water?  And especially when we can still bring hair dryer and curling iron which would be an even bigger fire hazard?  Maybe it is a money thing?

They will definitely take it, not worth the hassle

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Matkai said:

Thank You, just tried to search and unfortunately I am unable to find anywhere I can buy this in Australia except for Amazon where it is $39 AUD for a travel size  😞 

Will check keep an eye out in Costco, they get some US items in every now and then. 🤞

My wife makes her own and it works great, recipe below

https://thefrugalgirls.com/2013/04/diy-wrinkle-releaser.html

• Like 1

5 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

They will definitely take it, not worth the hassle

We're Diamond Plus so we've traveled a lot on RC.  We've never had an issue with our portable steamer.  This isn't to say we won't next time, but in our case the definitely have not taken it so far.

3 minutes ago, CFLRetired said:

We're Diamond Plus so we've traveled a lot on RC.  We've never had an issue with our portable steamer.  This isn't to say we won't next time, but in our case the definitely have not taken it so far.

I am diamond plus as well, see several on the "claims table" at every disembarkation

• Like 5

@not-enough-cruising I am sure some get through, but agree many don’t. But, we were with the first walk out/suite’s group debarking in Miami recently and as we walked out of the terminal there was a very clear view of the “naughty” table and it was piled to the top with steamers.

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

@not-enough-cruising I am sure some get through, but agree many don’t. But, we were with the first walk out/suite’s group debarking in Miami recently and as we walked out of the terminal there was a very clear view of the “naughty” table and it was piled to the top with steamers.

Yes, thank you for the confirmation.

10 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Best idea. A travel bottle is just a gre dollars. 

leave the iron home 

Your luggage will be held in security rather than delivered to your cabin. You will need to go to security, open the case and give up the iron. Then after you leave the ship, you can pick it up. 

m

Plus you will have to wait in line with the others suspected of having prohibited items. Someone in our group packed a steamer and i went with her to the naughty room. That was 45 minutes wasted. They don’t search a passengers bag until they are there to observe. Then they look through the whole bag. They took the steamer and gave her a receipt. That all takes time. 

I have not used an iron in very many years. I either don't buy clothes that need ironing or just hang and most wrinkles come out.  I am only suggesting that you do not worry about it too much, although I understand if it a concern for you. 

Enjoy your cruise!! 🛳️ 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Matkai said:

Hi,  We have our very first cruise in March next year, looking ahead at what to pack and how, one of my concerns are that they do not supply an iron, nor are you allowed to bring your own 😞

can you brink a portable steamer? If not, what are the approximate prices for ironing a shirt or dress (not washing, just pressing?)

What do people do to get around this issue?  Tips and tricks?

We do a mix of packing cubes and roll up a lot of our clothes and have never had for the need to press anything when we unpack his tuxedo, dresses, etc.  

• Like 2

On 9/6/2022 at 2:25 AM, taglovestocruise said:
$3 for a long sleeve shirt, $4 for pants,  $8.00 for a dress, $10 for a full suit, $15 for a full length evening gown.  $39 for a full bag of wash and fold, be careful with wash and fold as they use steam generated in Hell.

That sounds okay when it is USD for us Aussies it works out $4.50 for a shirt, $6 for pants, $15 for a suit, $23 for a evening gown and almost $60 for a bag of washing... (funny how they use steam generated from hell but we can't use a little travel pocket steamer?)

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2022 at 1:30 PM, CFLRetired said:

Why would you bring something that is on the forbidden list??

On 9/5/2022 at 2:13 AM, Matkai said:

My personal experience is Downy Wrinkle Release can stain solid colored, "silk-like" fabrics.  I have used the following technique for years to remove wrinkles from clothing:

• I take an empty spray bottle in my suitcase where it's easy to find when I open up to unpack
  • Fill it with warm water
  • Lay the garment flat on the bed, spray one side and smooth the wrinkles out with my hands, turn over, and repeat on other side.
  • Hang garment in the closet

By the time you hang up all your clothes there is a very slight damp atmosphere in the closet, and the clothes dry wrinkle-free.  As I wear them, I may have to spritz a little extra on certain fabrics.

• Like 2