How is the bidding system doing? Any comments?

Bwana Tom

Received an E-mail from Princess informing us that our upgrade offer to go from a standard (BD) balcony (C708) to a Premium Deluxe (D4) Balcony (C740) Aft Facing. When bidding opened, price range started at $80 per person. We submitted a "weak" bid of $100 which was accepted. Cruise is on the Discovery Princess sailing on a 7 day round trip from Seattle on 27 August.

Edited by WmFCoyote
Correct information
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, WmFCoyote said:

Received an E-mail from Princess informing us that our upgrade offer to go from a standard (BD) balcony (C708) to a Premium Deluxe (D4) Balcony (C740) Aft Facing. When bidding opened, price range started at $80 per person. We submitted a "weak" bid of $100 which was accepted. Cruise is on the Discovery Princess sailing on a 7 day round trip from Seattle on 27 August.

Congratulations! That is a nice deal for a larger cabin and much nicer balcony.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carol28 said:

When I look at the upgrades offered, there is a dollar amount posted next to the room. Is that the minimum I can bid?

yes.  move the indicator to the right, the price will raise.  the money amount is per person

I have always done weakest bid, but so far my bid for the cruise leaving in 3 days has not been accepted, so I may not get this one

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WmFCoyote said:

Congratulations!  We’ll be on the same sailing.  That would’ve been the ideal upgrade for me.  Mom is coming on the trip, so we couldn’t bid for any upgrades.  Definitely will be bidding on our next cruise.  

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 2:31 AM, CalTexCruiser said:

I didn’t read your original post correctly and missed that you are upgrading from balcony to club class mini

i thought the 250 was from regular mini to club class mini

from balcony to club class mini, 250 pp is a good deal IMO

I concur....highly recommend the upgrade from a balcony (tiny bathroom/shower) to a club class mini suite (larger shower/tub and sink area) as the wait staff in the DR treat you like royalty. Lunch is served in club class on sea days, and breakfast is served in club class on embarkation day, too. Try it, you'll like it!!!

• Like 1

"your bid was NOT accepted"

good  -  with all the changes taking place, I will keep my $300

leave tomorrow on the Emerald - no Alfredo's or Gigi's to eat at, but will order room service everyday  and not get charged  -  

Happy sailing

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I put a bid on a window cabin but noticed there are a few "guarantee" windows on 14.

Hoping to get a cabin on Plaza.  I probably should have skipped it and stayed with my obstr. view on Emerald.  

Edited by susancruzs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, roxievegas said:

"your bid was NOT accepted"

good  -  with all the changes taking place, I will keep my $300

leave tomorrow on the Emerald - no Alfredo's or Gigi's to eat at, but will order room service everyday  and not get charged  -  

Happy sailing

Sail away ... and sail on! Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

Depends on the person or couple whether bidding is a good deal.  If you want an upgrade, and don't care where the upgrade is, it is worth a try.

Personally we booked Club Class on Regal Princess Trans-Atlantic selecting a room with a larger balcony.  Princess has contacted us several times, asking if we wanted to "upgrade" using the bidding process.

Happy with the room we selected, do not wish to give it up. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, marie&rick said:

Hi, we would like to hear from people who bid on a cabin upgrade please. How much over the base rate did you bid and was it worth it?

@marie&rick

To help you out your new thread has been merged into the existing thread regarding your topic.

suggest you use the Follow feature on any threads where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come looking for you as notifications. If you need information on how to do it, please click here How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info).

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2023 at 5:12 PM, HiCCCs said:

I concur....highly recommend the upgrade from a balcony (tiny bathroom/shower) to a club class mini suite (larger shower/tub and sink area) as the wait staff in the DR treat you like royalty. Lunch is served in club class on sea days, and breakfast is served in club class on embarkation day, too. Try it, you'll like it!!!

Is lunch served in the Club Class dining room on embarkation day?

5 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Is lunch served in the Club Class dining room on embarkation day?

It is, and it's delightful. The Club Class is a sectioned off part of the MDR, with spectacular service and little or no wait time. Enjoy it!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I may need to post separately, but this seems to have the right knowledge base in here. If you bid upgrade to a suite, does the access to concierge lounge come with that upgrade?  IIRC Royal Caribbean does not allow things like the genie the come with upgrades through the bid system. Was wondering if Princess did anything similar. 

1 hour ago, drwbrt said:

I may need to post separately, but this seems to have the right knowledge base in here. If you bid upgrade to a suite, does the access to concierge lounge come with that upgrade?  IIRC Royal Caribbean does not allow things like the genie the come with upgrades through the bid system. Was wondering if Princess did anything similar. 

Yes concierge lounge comes with the upgrade (note that only Royal class ships have a concierge lounge).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Yes concierge lounge comes with the upgrade (note that only Royal class ships have a concierge lounge).

Thanks for the response.  One more question if I may.  Does anyone know if there is a limit in how many "tiers" of upgrade are allowed?  Can you bid from Inside to Suite?  On NCL it was 2-tiers max.  So a balcony could get into the Haven, but an inside could only get into a balcony.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, drwbrt said:

Thanks for the response.  One more question if I may.  Does anyone know if there is a limit in how many "tiers" of upgrade are allowed?  Can you bid from Inside to Suite?  On NCL it was 2-tiers max.  So a balcony could get into the Haven, but an inside could only get into a balcony.

I usually get offered 4 tiers. For example we are booked in an obstructed deluxe Balcony (Royal class). I was offered (unobstructed) standard balcony, deluxe balcony, premium deluxe balcony, and mini suite. We won’t bid as the “obstructed” deluxe we have selected is actually not obstructed in my opinion and has an extra large balcony. To my mind, all my options except the mini suite (or possibly the premium deluxe if it was aft facing) would be lesser cabins.

From an inside on most Royal class ships you’ll be offered obstructed balcony, deluxe obstructed balcony, standard balcony and deluxe balcony.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, drwbrt said:

Indeed it does....makes it soooo worth it.

We are on the 9/6 sailing of Sapphire Princess from Vancouver to Anchorage.  This is the sailing with Jeff Corwin aboard. I grabbed a guarantee ocean view cabin to secure a spot - my wife insists on a window.  But a friend told us “you must have a balcony for Alaska” so I bid the minimum to upgrade.  We had three choices, including a deluxe ocean view all the way forward which I did not want. I did not hear a peep from Princess and it was getting closer by the day.  So, I bumped my bid up to $450 and heard within 24 hours. Not the best balcony ever, but smack dab midship (port side unfortunately) on the Aloha deck. We will take it and be pleased.

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1