Sphere showing up on website

FLAlaska

5 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

I searched to see if anyone  has noticed this, but the Sphere is showing up on the website with a cruise date of Nov 12th 2023, 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise. Not yet bookable and no prices shown either.

https://www.princess.com/search-cruise/details/?voyageCode=U337

That's interesting. I wish they had deckplans up, but they don't.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

That's interesting. I wish they had deckplans up, but they don't.

Hopefully the deck plans will be available sooner than for the Royal Princess which weren’t available until booking day in early March 2012 for the first cruises the following year.

And we’re still waiting for the new ship’s details that were promised over 3 months ago at their VP of Sales webinar but no mention since then.

Disappointed by the confirmation of the name but not surprising as the actions by the current management team don’t care about tradition. Having ships’ names that require a dictionary to learn the meaning isn’t great. Last year’s survey about ship’s names had Sphera & Radia as the new names & the class Sphere.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

And we’re still waiting for the new ship’s details that were promised over 3 months ago at their VP of Sales webinar but no mention since then.

Travel Weekly in the UK interviewed the new vice-president of UK and Europe last week and pressed her for more information on the launch of Sphere class including whether it would be delayed. She said that more product details would be announced soon.  I know, not much to go on

Edited by dides
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

All I can say is, especially for warm weather cruises, if It doesn't have an open Retreat Pool area, and a version of the Sanctuary, I am out.

I'm sure it will be the "grandest sanctuary yet" - or something along those lines.  But also with the highest charge yet as well.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 1:09 PM, Astro Flyer said:

Hopefully the deck plans will be available sooner than for the Royal Princess which weren’t available until booking day in early March 2012 for the first cruises the following year.

Disappointed by the confirmation of the name but not surprising as the actions by the current management team don’t care about tradition. Having ships’ names that require a dictionary to learn the meaning isn’t great. Last year’s survey about ship’s names had Sphera & Radia as the new names & the class Sphere.

Yea the names are weird. IDK what the significance behind sphere, sphera, and radia. Could you please connect the dots for me?

On 9/7/2022 at 8:48 AM, Wishing on a star said:

All I can say is, especially for warm weather cruises, if It doesn't have an open Retreat Pool area, and a version of the Sanctuary, I am out.

As a West Coast cruiser, I'm of the opposite opinion. To me the Sanctuary is the chief design failing of Princess ships, especially after having experienced the forward observation lounges on Celebrity, HAL, and NCL. That's especially true with ships going up towards full occupancy, when a gathering/drinking/events spot to get people away from crowded Piazza spots would be ideal, and then it's a significant drawback for Alaska. That's why I loved being on Majestic twice in Mexico, because the Hollywood Pool and Conservatory were spacious, covered, quirky, and free. While I'm dreaming, they can call the new ships whatever they want if they'd just put back wraparound outside promenade decks, even with the annoying front stairs to climb on older Princess ships. I don't go on cruises to be pampered or to get more skin cancers, but to view the sea, sunsets, scenery, dolphins, waves, and whales. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rj59 said:

As a West Coast cruiser, I'm of the opposite opinion. To me the Sanctuary is the chief design failing of Princess ships, especially after having experienced the forward observation lounges on Celebrity, HAL, and NCL. That's especially true with ships going up towards full occupancy, when a gathering/drinking/events spot to get people away from crowded Piazza spots would be ideal, and then it's a significant drawback for Alaska. That's why I loved being on Majestic twice in Mexico, because the Hollywood Pool and Conservatory were spacious, covered, quirky, and free. While I'm dreaming, they can call the new ships whatever they want if they'd just put back wraparound outside promenade decks, even with the annoying front stairs to climb on older Princess ships. I don't go on cruises to be pampered or to get more skin cancers, but to view the sea, sunsets, scenery, dolphins, waves, and whales. 

Yea I prefer indoors than outdoors bc of skin cancers. I too much sun already bc I surf

4 hours ago, DrSea said:

Yea the names are weird. IDK what the significance behind sphere, sphera, and radia. Could you please connect the dots for me?

Merriam-Webster’s definitions doesn’t help to connect the dots & only the current Princess management team knows the answer.

• Spherethe apparent surface of the heavens of which half forms the dome of the visible sky
  • Sphera: no definition
  • Radia: no definition
  •  
Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Merriam-Webster’s definitions doesn’t help to connect the dots & only the current Princess management team knows the answer.

• Spherethe apparent surface of the heavens of which half forms the dome of the visible sky
  •  

I mean...I couldn't have guessed that in a million years...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rj59 said:

I am much like you. I have been disappointed in the trend, even on Celebrity, of dedicating the forward views, which can be spectacular during approaching or leaving a port, for passengers either in suites or willing to pay 40+ dollars per day to lounge in exclusive areas most of the passengers will never experience. It's a grab for money from the wealthier passengers. Apparently we riff-raff who can't spend unlimited money on their cruises are not worthy. 

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rj59 said:

We also prefer the Hollywood pool area on the majestic

3 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

I am much like you. I have been disappointed in the trend, even on Celebrity, of dedicating the forward views, which can be spectacular during approaching or leaving a port, for passengers either in suites or willing to pay 40+ dollars per day to lounge in exclusive areas most of the passengers will never experience. It's a grab for money from the wealthier passengers. Apparently we riff-raff who can't spend unlimited money on their cruises are not worthy. 

The observation lounge/deck is free on NCL. 

But I get your point about paying extra to access a part of the ship that was free 12 years ago on most ships. People are willing to pay. What can I say?

4 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

•  

• Sphera: plural of Sphere.
  • Radia: The name Radia is primarily a female name of Arabic origin that means Happy, Bright. The name Radia could be derived from the Slavic element rad meaning "happy, willing" or the word root of "radiant" which means shining and bright.