Wrong stateroom!!!

Owenred

Just now, juksing said:

Just looking at deck plans for Wonder of the seas and for ocean views i only see 3 categories; ultra-spacious , boardwalk/Parkview (which Imho would not consider an Oceanview) and  ocean views - no spacious Oceanview is listed.  For balconies there are Family, boardwalk/parkview and Spacious balconies.   So maybe something is lost in translation somewhere.  But as others have said, you are essentially getting a spacious oceanview cabin with floor to ceiling window and the added bonus of a balcony with a childproof door and you are paying what you were willing to bid for an Oceanview.  I say don’t sweat it, the location looks ok and enjoy the cruise with your toddler! 

The spacious Oceanview is substantially larger than a regular balcony.

I wouldn't put so much stock in those "child locks".  My last trip on Anthem I had a nice oversized balcony.  The "child lock" did nothing.  Whether it was pushed in or pulled out made no difference,  I rotated the handle and it immediately snapped unlocked.  If I left the handle anything over half opened, the door would slide back and forth with the motion of the ocean.  I had two angled corners on my balcony, and a gap between the glass in the center.  I could easily put my leg through at least one gap.  Also the two footstools were very light, and easily pushed up against the railing.  If a toddler has learned any gymnastic ability from coping with crib rails, the balcony rail would only be one more set of monkey bars.  The balcony is no place for an unaccompanied toddler.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gmerick said:

I wouldn't put so much stock in those "child locks".  My last trip on Anthem I had a nice oversized balcony.  The "child lock" did nothing.  Whether it was pushed in or pulled out made no difference,  I rotated the handle and it immediately snapped unlocked.  If I left the handle anything over half opened, the door would slide back and forth with the motion of the ocean.  I had two angled corners on my balcony, and a gap between the glass in the center.  I could easily put my leg through at least one gap.  Also the two footstools were very light, and easily pushed up against the railing.  If a toddler has learned any gymnastic ability from coping with crib rails, the balcony rail would only be one more set of monkey bars.  The balcony is no place for an unaccompanied toddler.

This high lock did nothing?  I can't even open them sometimes.  I hope you told your cabin steward the lock was broken so that it could be fixed.

Anthem of the Seas Stateroom 11266

• Like 1

This is the second time recently that it was reported Royal Up made an unusual error.  The other problem was a guest receiving an email stating they had won a bid, then the “win” was reversed,  back to the original cabin.  Both of these happened fairly soon after the initial status of bids changed from “pending” to “submitted”.  I believe other changes were made to their program that are creating double bookings that must be corrected somehow.  I am certain that more errors have been made than those reported on CC, so possibly Royal’s resolutions department has been making adjustments to cabin assignments screwed up by Royal Up.  I would try calling again and asking for Resolutions.

• Like 1

I'm sure RCI would have takers if they offered OV passengers a chance at a balcony cabin.  The concern with the balcony and toddlers is that they can get creative and start climbing on the balcony furniture next to the railing.  If all else fails and they are not able to move the OP, requesting the balcony furniture be removed is an option. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I'm sure RCI would have takers if they offered OV passengers a chance at a balcony cabin.  The concern with the balcony and toddlers is that they can get creative and start climbing on the balcony furniture next to the railing.  If all else fails and they are not able to move the OP, requesting the balcony furniture be removed is an option. 

The OP’s (supposed winning) bid was not an ordinary OV cabin;  it was for the (rather rare) ultra spacious OV…and the passengers in those cabins might not be willing to move to a much smaller balcony cabin.  In fact, their party might be five or six people, so they not be able to fit in that regular balcony cabin.

In many cases (like this one), RoyalUp is offering very specific categories for bid.  They need to fulfill those specific  bids with those specific cabins.   To do otherwise is a bait and switch.  The OP declined to bid on a balcony cabin.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

The OP’s (supposed winning) bid was not an ordinary OV cabin;  it was for the (rather rare) ultra spacious OV…and the passengers in those cabins might not be willing to move to a much smaller balcony cabin.  In fact, their party might be five or six people, so they not be able to fit in that regular balcony cabin.

In many cases (like this one), RoyalUp is offering very specific categories for bid.  They need to fulfill those specific  bids with those specific cabins.   To do otherwise is a bait and switch.  The OP declined to bid on a balcony cabin.

Oh I see, thanks for the clarification. In that case, RCI should make good on the OP's winning bid.

2 hours ago, HicksRA said:

That’s a big problem with Royal Ups. There’s no way to reach them if they screw up and no one from Royal can help you since it’s a separate company.

That would make it a Royal Screw Up  😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Owenred said:

Ow no, hopefully they reply, if not I’ll ask at guest services and then if no luck I’ll send an email on my return. 

Also, you may be able to dispute the charge of the royal up with your credit card company because you didn't authorize that category & didn't get what you paid for....

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bridedoll1026 said:

Also, you may be able to dispute the charge of the royal up with your credit card company because you didn't authorize that category & didn't get what you paid for....

Before doing that, attempt to get the charge reversed but keep track of all correspondence.  Even email mbayley@royalcaribbean.com and see if you get any traction.  If all fails, file a dispute with your credit card company.

• Like 1

Heya all, so RoyalUp called today and admitted this was a mistake and should never of happened. The cabin we bid on was sold out and they automatically assumed we wanted a balcony. 
So they have refunded us, moved us back to our original room and a gesture of goodwill added to our OB account. 
Thank you to all the helpful people who suggested ideas we ended up getting through Twitter to them. 

• Like 47
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Owenred said:

Heya all, so RoyalUp called today and admitted this was a mistake and should never of happened. The cabin we bid on was sold out and they automatically assumed we wanted a balcony. 
So they have refunded us, moved us back to our original room and a gesture of goodwill added to our OB account. 
Thank you to all the helpful people who suggested ideas we ended up getting through Twitter to them. 

Good to hear.  There are many complaints on Twitter and social media that are due to the customer  misinterperting policies, but in this case they were wrong and the social media staff are great trouble shooters with legitimate issues like this.

I’m so glad it worked out for you.  

It hope also that PlusGrade makes a correction to it’s business practices.  If somebody did not bid on a balcony, PlusGrade should not presume they want a balcony.  If they want to make a substitution, they should be contacting the guest to discuss the options.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wahooker said:

You underestimate the ability of toddlers to unchildproof stuff.

They can be crafty.  Just as importantly, why should anyone second guess the parent’s decision.  I think the parent said they have previously been on cruise ship balconies. They know their child.  Any decision they make gets my respect.

• Like 7

My incredibly strong 2 year old was able to open the lock and the balcony door on the Coral Princess, so I don't necessarily disagree with your concerns.  However, it wasn't a problem when my kids were small because the cabin is so small and I'm a light sleeper that I could always hear the balcony door open.  We also taught our toddlers the one rule of balconies: they can never climb the furniture or be out there alone.  As long as your toddler doesn't climb, they can't get hurt on the balcony because the railing is really high for them.   Another possibility that schools use when they have children who elope (run away) is that they hang small bells on doors.  You'd tie bells to the balcony door and you won't miss the sound of it opening if your child is freakishly strong like mine.  I was just with my family on AOS, and the balcony doors there seemed harder to open on AOS than on Princess,.

I agree with the others that it is highly unlikely your room will be correct initially.  If the bells don't provide you with enough security,  since you are hoping for a switch that most people would consider to be a downgrade, RC should be able to switch you at some point since many people with ocean views would be happy to take your cabin, so there might be someone in an oceanview who has a problem at some point in the cruise and the front desk could switch you both and make both of you happy.  

3 hours ago, Owenred said:

Been following.

Pleased for you.

Have a great cruise.

Talking to a couple last cruise that did a Royal Up. They were booked in a balcony and bid on Royal Up to Grand Suite. Got notification they won their bid. When they got to their cabin it was a Junior Suite. Guest services could not switch them and told couple that they have to take their problem up with the vendor that administers Royal Up.

They did tell me they have disputed charge with credit card company. 

I have never done a Royal Up as the TA I use does not participate. Asking you experienced Royal Up cruisers, the bids are very cabin specific. It is not like when you book guarantee that there is one that is JS and better and then another one that is grand suite or better (WS)?

1 hour ago, frank808 said:

Talking to a couple last cruise that did a Royal Up. They were booked in a balcony and bid on Royal Up to Grand Suite. Got notification they won their bid. When they got to their cabin it was a Junior Suite. Guest services could not switch them and told couple that they have to take their problem up with the vendor that administers Royal Up.

They did tell me they have disputed charge with credit card company. 

I have never done a Royal Up as the TA I use does not participate. Asking you experienced Royal Up cruisers, the bids are very cabin specific. It is not like when you book guarantee that there is one that is JS and better and then another one that is grand suite or better (WS)?

I would say that if the bid was specifically for a GS and that's not what was provided, then it's definitely breach of contract.  Disputing the charge is what I'd do.  

15 hours ago, Owenred said:

Glad to read this resolution.  I have a very proficient climber that was barely slowed down by the balcony door in a relative's cabin when we went on a cruise when my kids were young.  Just reading this thread gave me anxiety.  I wouldn't have slept the entire cruise if there had been a balcony in our room.

• Like 1