This is why people are not taking cruises, and it's because of Covid and NOT what you think...

evag

3 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

I was taking my tests at LAX. Flying non rev was great, I'd get upset if someone was even sitting next to me in FC or within 2 rows of me in da back

Those were the "good" old days sandwiched between horrific travels.  For 6 months, I was "stuck" in Honolulu because the only flights back to the mainland were into LAX (which I avoid like the plague).  Finally bit the bullet, flew into LAX (no end insight), did the LAXit to shared ride.  Arrived at home at 1 AM.  Now, flights are flying full again.  Passengers crammed into an aluminum tube for 6 hours.  

Please get rid of PSVA and do commuter cruises to Hawaii.  Count me in!  How great would that be?  

PS....amendment.  Yes, you could get a rapid antigen test, if you could find a place that offered them.  

BTW:  If anyone is doing a Japan cruise on the Diamond Princess, you should be doing your homework.  Policies are changing constantly.  Japan is a series of Islands...think Hawaii with a foreign accent.  

This must be Discovery's repositioning cruise if it is ending in Vancouver (then returning to LA).  

Anytime you enter Canada (from anywhere) you need to fill out the ArriveCan app.  My nephew had to go through all the steps when he drove from Washington State to pick up his father in Vancouver.  The only thing he did not need to do is take a test.  Ironically, within a week, he caught covid.  He doesn't know how.  

1 hour ago, macpiper said:

It is really a shame that Princess does not include on their web site ALL the information from the Canadian web site regarding cruising!

1 hour ago, macpiper said:

Could not agree more with the OP and Princess' procedures re covid, especially going through Canada.

• Princess phone agents do not present correct and/or consistent information
  • Princess web site presents conflicting information in various sections regarding Covid procedures
  • We agree with many about why should we continue to book with Princess considering their sub standard support for their customers

I sympathize in a limited way.  I place most of the blame, angst, issues, etc, with the federal government.  That said, they are pretty clear about what they want for different situations.  And I think reasonable people find reasonable treatment at the border.  There is growing evidence that many border officials are tired of dealing with ArriveCAN, but nothing we can do about it for the time being. 

Princess doesn't purport to provide all of the details of travel requirements for various countries around the world in terms of Visa's and Vaccinations.  They do provide some info, but recommend guests do their own research and checking to assure they are satisfying requirements.

With the more recent updates to Princess.com on Covid protocols, I think they have made it clearer to find and understand the requirements.  (This is quite separate from how we may feel about the measures Princess is taking versus what a country might require). 

Guests have reported recently receiving email notices with the Covid protocol information.  Sure, we like to know sooner, but I think the info is laid out as to what Princess is requiring, regardless of what any country may require.

Yes, Princess has a lot of new phone reps and they are not always experts on many topics compared to some long-time expert customers.  This has been a long-term situation and I can recall many posts where folks came here asking about an answer they got from a Princess rep that didn't seem right - long before Covid.  Covid protocols is just another thing for a rep to have to know about.  Many will just look up and read what the website says. 

Anyway, I think there is clearer info and less confusion than 6-12 months ago.  That said, I don't necessarily agree with everything PCL has come up with (Greece being a prime example).

• Like 2

To ALL, yes (and I admit it is long winded so can understand people not reading it all of my post or should I say epistle) but if I am to be criticized then criticize me for what I should be criticized. As I said I DID read their post on Covid rules in Canada, and it did NOT mention ArriveCAN so I don't see why ANY one on here is scolding me for asking that Princess put a links to ArriveCAN and the Canadian government website instead of simply saying that you need to see Canadian regulations which tells you NOTHING, if it makes it easier for us, why not???

Why did the person who said s/he research my background on this site say well she's cruised for a long time and she should know better, as I said in the beginning I READ the website and when I went to the Canadian government website they mentioned ArriveCAN but I saw no link to that website so that's why I called  Princess since things change so rapidly, I thought the agents may know more current info than what's on the Princess website which again only said something to follow Canada's regulations.  How was I to know that the Princess agents did NOT know what they were talking about or just read what I knew already (and I told the second agent, NOT to tell me what was already on the website), I only cruised once before during the pandemic on Celebrity which was on a whole different level of service plus there was no onerous country regulations to get conflicting information (I do admit unless you were on a ship excursion, you could not get off the ship in a few places.)

I made too sweeping a generalization when I said why people are not taking cruises anymore, it was just an expression of my frustration with dealing with the conflicting information with the agents and what's on the website, but I KNOW my cruise ending in Vancouver is only half full and that's why cabins and single supp. are half priced, it could have a LOT to do with the difference with the cruise ending in Vancouver vs. Seattle and the extra hassle one has to go through because of that.  I just had heard the heartening (NOT) news from my bf that he just got a call from his ex-boss who he had not heard from in many years who was looking for another employee and that he and his wife just disembarked from an Alaskan cruise and as careful as they were, she has Covid now, though not sick enough to be hospitalized and it has me very worried, but even with trip cancellation insurance you can't get your money back for a what if  that hasn't happened (unlike Vanessa Bryant who got millions on the what if destroyed photos would pop up) sorry for that non-sequitur, but am terribly worried now.

Edited by evag
Correct grammatical error
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Sprocket said:

Have you looked at the guidelines on the Princess website for cruises in/out/stopping in Canada?  It is all explained there..and in your Cruise Summary

You have to be tested BEFORE you board, there is testing available at Vancouver airport and also at Canada Place.  Antigen test is 2 days and PCR is 3 days if you do the PCR make sure it is the rapid test.  We use an online testing site very easy and rapid antigen results in 30 minutes. They will NOT allow you to board without a negative test.

ArriveCAN MUST be filled out and submitted within 72 hours of boarding. We have  to show our QR code when boarding and confirmed with our cabin steward.  There is a web based app as well as one for your phone or IPad I take a screen shot and print it off just in case. The app is for boarding purposes and since your passport is tied to the app it is unlikely you will have to show it once you are on the ship. It has to be done whether or not you intend to get off the ship in Canada.

You will have to be fully vaccinated and show your vaccination cards.

Yes all of this. It really hasnt changed much all summer since we sailed in May. 

"I am almost to elite status on Princess"

"Why did the person who said s/he research my background on this site say well she's cruised for a long time and she should know better"

"I only cruised once before during the pandemic on Celebrity which was on a whole different level of service plus"

@evag, I apologize for coming to the wrong conclusion.  When I read your posts, I gleaned that you had been a frequent passenger with Princess since you stated that you were almost Elite.  That would have put you somewhere near 10-15 cruises with Princess. 

At this point, all of that doesn't matter.  You are now aware of all of the requirements to sail into Vancouver.  I realize that the ArriveCan app can seem challenging, but it really is rather straightforward with clear steps.  

You will need create an account and fill in the initial information.  This can be done on your computer.  (Passport information, vaccination information, upload vaccination card).

I would recommend that you take a rapid antigen test 2 days prior to embarkation in Seattle. 

Then complete the health form within 72 hours of embarkation.  

If you have further questions, call the 833 toll free number for ArriveCan.  They will be happy to walk you through the process. 

It doesn't matter if your cruise stopped in Victoria (round trip Seattle) or ended in Vancouver, you would still need to fill out ArriveCan and be tested.

Covid is everywhere.  You can catch it at home, on a plane, on a ship.  Covid does not single out people.  It is a very opportunist virus.  We read about many catching the virus.  But there really are more that do not.  

Enjoy your cruise.  Glad the Discovery will be sailing at less than capacity.  Once this ArriveCan app issue is behind you, you will have a glorious time in Alaska.  

58 minutes ago, evag said:

To ALL, yes (and I admit it is long winded so can understand people not reading it all of my post or should I say epistle) but if I am to be criticized then criticize me for what I should be criticized. As I said I DID read their post on Covid rules in Canada, and it did NOT mention ArriveCAN so I don't see why ANY one on here is scolding me for asking that Princess put a links to ArriveCAN and the Canadian government website instead of simply saying that you need to see Canadian regulations which tells you NOTHING, if it makes it easier for us, why not???

Why did the person who said s/he research my background on this site say well she's cruised for a long time and she should know better, as I said in the beginning I READ the website and when I went to the Canadian government website they mentioned ArriveCAN but I saw no link to that website so that's why I called  Princess since things change so rapidly, I thought the agents may know more current info than what's on the Princess website which again only said something to follow Canada's regulations.  How was I to know that the Princess agents did NOT know what they were talking about or just read what I knew already (and I told the second agent, NOT to tell me what was already on the website), I only cruised once before during the pandemic on Celebrity which was on a whole different level of service plus there was no onerous country regulations to get conflicting information (I do admit unless you were on a ship excursion, you could not get off the ship in a few places.)

I made too sweeping a generalization when I said why people are not taking cruises anymore, it was just an expression of my frustration with dealing with the conflicting information with the agents and what's on the website, but I KNOW my cruise ending in Vancouver is only half full and that's why cabins and single supp. are half priced, it could have a LOT to do with the difference with the cruise ending in Vancouver vs. Seattle and the extra hassle one has to go through because of that.  I just had heard the heartening (NOT) news from my bf that he just got a call from his ex-boss who he had not heard from in many years who was looking for another employee and that he and his wife just disembarked from an Alaskan cruise and as careful as they were, she has Covid now, though not sick enough to be hospitalized and it has me very worried, but even with trip cancellation insurance you can't get your money back for a what if  that hasn't happened (unlike Vanessa Bryant who got millions on the what if destroyed photos would pop up) sorry for that non-sequitur, but am terribly worried now.

• Like 1

Somehow, a couple hundred thousand passengers on Princess have figured out how to make this all work for cruises touching Canada this summer. Not to mention the hundreds and hundreds of thousands more on other cruise lines. (According to industry estimates, more than 1MM passengers were expected to cruise into and out of AK in 2022). While the process may be cumbersome, it is by no means unworkable if a million+ people are figuring it out. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, redtop101 said:

This is the extract from the Princess web site, indicating requirements for vaccinations, Covid testing and ArriveCan. Might take some digging but you should get there if you have a long-handled shovel.

ArriveCan info.jpg

Thanks!!!

Important to read the fine print!

Princess travel summary & also FAQ S tell you to read up on government entry requirements.  These things can change frequently.

• Like 2

To chime in, I wish Boosters and testing would be removed for Hawaii and Panama Canal cruises.  
We can go to Mexico west coast, Alaska and Canada, without a test, no boosters.

Boosters; as many of us not eligible for one due to side effects or complications from the original dose(s).

37 minutes ago, Sandipalms said:

To chime in, I wish Boosters and testing would be removed for Hawaii and Panama Canal cruises

We can go to Mexico west coast, Alaska and Canada, without a test, no boosters.

37 minutes ago, Sandipalms said:

Boosters; as many of us not eligible for one due to side effects or complications from the original dose(s).

check your info on cruises to Canada

20 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Those were the "good" old days sandwiched between horrific travels.  For 6 months, I was "stuck" in Honolulu because the only flights back to the mainland were into LAX (which I avoid like the plague).  Finally bit the bullet, flew into LAX (no end insight), did the LAXit to shared ride.  Arrived at home at 1 AM.  Now, flights are flying full again.  Passengers crammed into an aluminum tube for 6 hours.  

Please get rid of PSVA and do commuter cruises to Hawaii.  Count me in!  How great would that be?  

PS....amendment.  Yes, you could get a rapid antigen test, if you could find a place that offered them.  

BTW:  If anyone is doing a Japan cruise on the Diamond Princess, you should be doing your homework.  Policies are changing constantly.  Japan is a series of Islands...think Hawaii with a foreign accent.  

I  was trapped in Long Beach for 3 months as I didn't want to have to fly to SFO first then on to HNL.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, evag said:

but I KNOW my cruise ending in Vancouver is only half full and that's why cabins and single supp. are half priced

Where does this information come from? It's different than what a CVP told me the other day regarding this sailing, saying that room availability had dramatically decreased over the past month as things were filling up.

On 9/10/2022 at 2:05 PM, evag said:

but I KNOW my cruise ending in Vancouver is only half full and that's why cabins and single supp. are half priced, it could have a LOT to do with the difference with the cruise ending in Vancouver vs. Seattle and the extra hassle one has to go through because of that. 

Cabins half-price? We booked June 1 & it's more now...

It's really pretty simple.

PCR test 3 days/Antigen test 2 days prior to cruise. Same as cruises were doing for all cruises prior to the last month. Cheap & easy virtually.

Fill out the ArriveCAN on the app or website 3 days prior to cruise.

That's it....

• Like 1

There were some significant savings for solo cruisers for a time and there continue to be many voyages before the end of the year with single supplement rates less than 150%.  However, many "best buy" prices have flattened out and and the list of those voyages is getting shorter.  Bookings are strong the last few months for future voyages, better than 2018 and 2019 for some trades, which would seem to indicate that there is serious pent up demand as well as a lot of folks looking at cruising as an alternative to more far flung trips.  I also think there are some capacity constraints currently with the difficulty of fully staffing ships.

On 9/10/2022 at 10:48 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

Japan is a series of Islands...think Hawaii with a foreign accent.  

The people in Japan think that we're the ones with the foreign accents.  Actually they think it odd that we can't speak their language in their country.  While many Japanese can speak some English, they're hesitant because they don't speak it fluently.  Contrast that with most Americans of Japanese descent speak English without a hint of an accent, especially those who were confined to prison camps during WWII, though their numbers are dwindling.