Hey Shrek...can you please call off Fiona?

island lady

9 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Unless the storm pops up when you’re docked and can’t depart because the channel is too narrow to transit.

Got caught in a Tropical Storm on Nordic Empress when docked at the Dockyard in Bermuda. Had tugboats holding us to the dock, but the ship was still rocking and rolling.  Norwegian ship was in St. Georges and snapped the lines and started drifting.  

Had to delay departure while waiting for the airport to open so a crew from Miami could come to inspect the long gash in the ship from repeatedly hitting the dock.

Wow...never a dull moment on ship meets storm!!   Had some doozies on smaller ships MJ and Monarch when they use to tender at Coco Cay.  Indeed those storms can come up quickly for sure!  

2 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I’m right there with you—- just want to get to CoCo Cay and don’t want to see Canada……

mac_tlc

I am hoping Harmony will be able to skip around the storm to still get to St. Maarten.  Have a nice tour booked there...errr...or at least I think I do.  😮 

Funny to keep seeing that port on the web cam empty the last few days.  

3 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I’m prepared.  Have 2 bottles of Grolsch, can of coke, and water in the fridge.  Some mudslide cookies and several packs of cookies I bought in Greenland.

Mmmmm...cooookies!!  😋

I think Bucky is the original cookie monster.  

image.jpeg.ca091065254276129504429ddb16a487.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

I’m right there with you—- just want to get to CoCo Cay and don’t want to see Canada……

mac_tlc

Ugh…I hope they tell us in advance if that’s the case so we can pack accordingly. Have you heard anything about any changes? Do you think the NE route would be our only option if we needed to reroute?

I know in the past, cruises from the Northeast have diverted to Canada instead of heading South when there were storms.  Would be interesting to see how the very different Covid vaccine & testing requirements for Canada would be handled, since none of the passengers would have been expected to comply with them, based on their booked itinerary.  Interesting times. 

4 hours ago, robmtx said:

Try being on one where you're not allowed out of your stateroom! You need a crash helmet for those!

Had that happen once.  It was a long time ago and there were times when it felt like we were definitely going to capsize.  That was a scary cruise.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SchoolNurseMom said:

We're heading to Miami for ABC cruise on Explorer tomorrow. Does anyone know if they normally sail west of Cuba on their way south? Maybe we'll have no itinerary changes?

Please report back on your cruise!  We ate on the same ship/itinerary in October.  Would love to here your thoughts!

BTW, another thread is reporting a move for Harmony from eastern to western Caribbean.

Edited by poocher

Just got the email from RCI...our "eastern route" has now become a western route.  Had to email our private tour in St. Maarten to cancel.  

I love western route...so no big deal.  But weird thing is they are still listing Coco Cay..umm really?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Ugh…I hope they tell us in advance if that’s the case so we can pack accordingly. Have you heard anything about any changes? Do you think the NE route would be our only option if we needed to reroute?

I have not heard anything, but another poster @BennyBrun had a good point that given the ArriveCan testing/vaccination requirements in Canada, an itinerary change may not be possible. Can’t just go to US ports. It could be an interesting problem.  I guess we shall see. On another topic, did you get the concierge email about show reservations tonight?

mac_tlc

51 minutes ago, island lady said:

Just got the email from RCI...our "eastern route" has now become a western route.  Had to email our private tour in St. Maarten to cancel.  

I love western route...so no big deal.  But weird thing is they are still listing Coco Cay..umm really?  

I prefer western also. Time to email Mark at Maya Chan and see if there is space!😜.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

we had the pool to ourselves!  We had a blast watching the waves break on the bow of the ship and send showers all the way up over it.  Enjoy the ride!

if you were in the pool , the storm wasn't too bad .Get into a real "good "one and most everything will be closed down

11 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I have not heard anything, but another poster @BennyBrun had a good point that given the ArriveCan testing/vaccination requirements in Canada, an itinerary change may not be possible. Can’t just go to US ports. It could be an interesting problem.  I guess we shall see. On another topic, did you get the concierge email about show reservations tonight?

mac_tlc

Yes going to Canada may not be an option. I guess we’ll know our fate soon.

And no I didn’t get the email😂again but was emailing with him earlier to have him fix my half canceled Izumi reservation and he said to look for it and respond with my requests. I’m not concerned because I have any early arrival time and can just make them myself on the app. But thanks for the heads up.

Edited by Jerseygirl1416
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PolicromaSol said:

You guys ever seen those crazy videos of cruise ships riding monster waves in a storm?

Makes me feel pretty safe, but it kind of hits you in a weird way. You don't really expect these massive ships to take the kind of abuse that they are capable of.

Most of those are ocean liners, not cruise ships.

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

And no I didn’t get the email😂again but was emailing with him earlier to have him fix my half canceled Izumi reservation and he said to look for it and respond with my requests. I’m not concerned because I have any early arrival time and can just make them myself on the app. But thanks for the heads up.

Perhaps you'll go to CA but not be allowed to disembark? Then hit some New England ports.

2 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Bermuda would have same problem, testing and completing the TA.

Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon you will have a better idea of the storm path.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SchoolNurseMom said:

We're heading to Miami for ABC cruise on Explorer tomorrow. Does anyone know if they normally sail west of Cuba on their way south? Maybe we'll have no itinerary changes?

Not enough time.  We've never had an ABC cruise change to western itinerary but have had a few eastern/bahamas change to western.  Normal sailing for ABC is east of the bahamas but if storm goes north they could sail down west side and then east to Cuba/Haiti.  But if unsure if storm will strengthen or which direction it is going you might be visiting Cozumel.

@island lady, We’re on Harmony now. Seems like Fiona won’t be able to catch up with us. I’m just hoping she doesn’t follow us home. We don’t need another round of fried electronics at our house! Hope Fiona turns into a fish 🐠 🐟 storm so you and everyone else cruising next week can enjoy your cruises.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, perfect match said:

We’re on Harmony now. Seems like Fiona won’t be able to catch up with us. I’m just hoping she doesn’t follow us home. We don’t need another round of fried electronics at our house! Hope Fiona turns into a fish 🐠 🐟 storm so you and everyone else cruising next week can enjoy your cruises.

Not currently expected to come anywhere near our crazy, err, lovely state.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

I prefer western also. Time to email Mark at Maya Chan and see if there is space!😜.

Thinking about it!  😉  

We are doing our favorite at Costa Maya in December, which is Karlita's cooking class.  She and Otto have a beautiful new home they built much closer to the port.  

Your idea is great....maybe need to check on it.  😄 

• Like 1