Did HAL just change their Covid rules???

DaveOKC

Per the article: Officially, still waiting for the "john hancock" from Trudeau 🙂 

But we all think it's going to be dropped. 

The federal government has decided to drop the vaccination requirement for people entering Canada, end random COVID-19 testing at airports and make the use of the ArriveCan app optional by the end of this month, a senior government source told CBC News.

Earlier this week, sources told CBC that Ottawa was leaning toward ending the measures but a final decision hadn't been made because it was awaiting the approval of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Edited by seapad
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, seapad said:

Per the article: Officially, still waiting for the "john hancock" from Trudeau 🙂 

But we all think it's going to be dropped. 

The federal government has decided to drop the vaccination requirement for people entering Canada, end random COVID-19 testing at airports and make the use of the ArriveCan app optional by the end of this month, a senior government source told CBC News.

Earlier this week, sources told CBC that Ottawa was leaning toward ending the measures but a final decision hadn't been made because it was awaiting the approval of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Thank you!! The misleading headline got me. Hate it when I make mistakes that glaring. Appreciate the correction 🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I believe it became official this afternoon:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/government-lifting-pandemic-border-measures-1.6591883

There is no mention of the special cruise ship requirements which have always been separate and apart from the regular border entry requirements.  The info in the link does not include special cruise ship regulations in their story.

• Like 2

Just now, *Miss G* said:

There is no mention of the special cruise ship requirements which have always been separate and apart from the regular border entry requirements.  The info in the link does not include special cruise ship regulations in their story.

No, it doesn't, which is why I always suggest we wait for official information from the cruise line. But didn't I read in here today that HAL has removed testing requirement for Canada cruises? Or was that another line? I follow several cruise lines and I admit it is getting a bit confusing.

But regardless, the headline totally got me and it's not a done deal yet anyway so we still wait.

4 minutes ago, FrankieSue said:

The Prime Minister has signed off on removing entry requirements and covid testing….. the new measures come into effect on Sept.30 which is probably when Holland America will update its health protocol for Canada…

Please post a link to this official news....  

2 minutes ago, seapad said:

No mentioning of testing though, hopefully that will become more clear/specific as the news rolls out. We're all assuming that testing would go away....

Several articles published do mention removal of random testing and Arrivecan. I obviously don't know if the articles published are correct or not, but it is being reported that the random testing will go away along with the vaccine requirement. Of course, testing requirements for Cruise ships maybe entirely different. I suspect cruise lines will update their policies shortly. 

image.png.1f79a1951abb20eac078fd9a252ac47f.png

https://news.yahoo.com/canada-drops-vaccine-requirements-visitors-190348530.html

10 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I just checked my 16 day Panama Canal cruise for Oct on the NEW program on the HAL website and it indicates that I do not have to undergo Covid testing!  This is a major change from the pdf sheet on the website from Monday (now removed).  Can this be true or is it a problem with the new program???

I'm on a 14 day Panama Canal full transit in November. 

Tried the health protocol lookup tool (https://book2.hollandamerica.com/protocols/)  on the HAL site for my voyage and this is what I got back. 

Standard Protocols

Vaccination Requirements

• We highly recommend all guests be up to date on their vaccination status.  Vaccinations, however, are not required.

Testing Requirements

• Fully vaccinated guests are not required to take a COVID test prior to embarkation. 
  • Unvaccinated or partially vaccinated guests 5 years of age and older are required to take a COVID test prior to embarkation
    • PCR COVID-19 test within 3 days before embarkation
    • Medically observed or self-administered at home COVID-19 antigen test within 3 days before embarkation.

Whoo hoo!!!  I still have the dang Binax test so that's $40 down the drain, but $40 I'm happy to lose.  🙂  Nice catch and thank you!!  🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, seapad said:

May I ask where on the RCL web page did you see this? This is great news, but I'm not able to see this same verbiage. 

sorry, it was there this morning, but not now. 

Edited by WyKnott
Oops

29 minutes ago, JacksGal said:

I'm on a 14 day Panama Canal full transit in November. 

Tried the health protocol lookup tool (https://book2.hollandamerica.com/protocols/)  on the HAL site for my voyage and this is what I got back. 

Standard Protocols

Vaccination Requirements

• We highly recommend all guests be up to date on their vaccination status.  Vaccinations, however, are not required.

Testing Requirements

• Fully vaccinated guests are not required to take a COVID test prior to embarkation. 
  • Unvaccinated or partially vaccinated guests 5 years of age and older are required to take a COVID test prior to embarkation
    • PCR COVID-19 test within 3 days before embarkation
    • Medically observed or self-administered at home COVID-19 antigen test within 3 days before embarkation.

Whoo hoo!!!  I still have the dang Binax test so that's $40 down the drain, but $40 I'm happy to lose.  🙂  Nice catch and thank you!!  🙂

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Happy Dance!

My suggestion is take them with you to test if you feel you need to. I am taking a b2b 28 days and same as you have the EMed Binax tests and plan to take them also!

Enjoy your cruise

🌺Denise

• Like 1

I just checked our booking for a NZ/ Aus cruise in December and there appears to be a new format and they no longer require the Antigen test to be monitored by Medical personnel which is a change from a couple of days ago. Below has been copied from my booking on HAL site.

Australia Protocols

Vaccination

• All guests 12 years of age and older must be fully vaccinated.
  • Children under 12 years of age do not need to be vaccinated.

Testing

• All guests ages 5 and older are required to take a COVID-19 Test.
  • PCR COVID-19 test must be taken within 72 hours before embarkation.
  • Medically observed or self-administered COVID-19 antigen home test within 24 hours before embarkation.
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, WyKnott said:

sorry, it was there this morning, but not now. 

Got it. That may mean though someone could still be reviewing it, just not finalized yet. I really hope what you saw this morning by will come through 😀

Edited by seapad

6 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Your link is to a CBC article that is titled "PM agrees to lift pandemic border measures, source says".

All of the current media reports are quoting "sources" - many need to be read carefully to find the reference to sources or "government officials".

This is not official yet, nor is it clear exactly what restrictions will be lifted as expected at the end of the month. Keep watching for the formal information then. 🍺🥌

Edited by CurlerRob
  • Like 1

It's Canada's cruise rulesI just arrived in Vancouver today from the US and got the email saying I have to go in for random Covid test by the end of the day tomorrow!  It looks like I'm here a week too soon.  Messed up my plans for tomorrow. 

~Nancy

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

It's Canada's cruise rulesI just arrived in Vancouver today from the US and got the email saying I have to go in for random Covid test by the end of the day tomorrow!  It looks like I'm here a week too soon.  Messed up my plans for tomorrow. 

~Nancy

Oh geeeez, sorry to hear this.... what a complete hassle!

6 hours ago, oakridger said:

~Nancy

No wonder people are avoiding Canada vacations this year.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

No wonder people are avoiding Canada vacations this year.

With all due respect to our friends and neighbors to the North, after my upcoming cruise I'm avoiding travel to Canada unless all this nonsense stops.  Travel is stressful enough with all the last minute things that need to be done without adding to the list.  

@oakridger, what a hassle!  Where do you have to go for the test?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It's official. Canada no longer requires Vaccination, random testing, or the use of Arrivecan. 

I suspect HAL's relaxed protocols are, in part, in response to this news.

Unfortunately, that applies to air and land entry. I haven’t seen any mention of relaxing the cruise ship testing. And they specifically mention it doesn’t apply to mandatory masks on planes and trains since that was under different legislation, which I believe cruise ship protocols are as well.
We sail out of Montreal on October 1. While I’m cautiously hopeful, I’m not breaking out the champagne just yet.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 2