Did HAL just change their Covid rules???

DaveOKC

I just checked my 16 day Panama Canal cruise for Oct on the NEW program on the HAL website and it indicates that I do not have to undergo Covid testing!  This is a major change from the pdf sheet on the website from Monday (now removed).  Can this be true or is it a problem with the new program???

I believe the question you should be asking is: Does Panama still require cruise ship passengers to test before transiting the canal? I did a brief search and was unable to find the answer.

I would also like to know if the HAL rules have changed.  I am doing a 14 day transatlantic departing from Spain. Spain does not require a test if you are fully vaccinated.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

I just checked my 16 day Panama Canal cruise for Oct on the NEW program on the HAL website and it indicates that I do not have to undergo Covid testing!  This is a major change from the pdf sheet on the website from Monday (now removed).  Can this be true or is it a problem with the new program???

Hey Dave, I just checked our first leg of our 45 day cruise beginning Dec 11th. Carribean. We had anticipated needing testing since it's 17 days. But we looked it up by booking number and it now shows no testing required. We are double dosed and triple boosted.

I got the same thing, Dave and I’m concerned that this may be an error.

When I put in the voyage # instead of my booking it is telling me that the protocols are not available yet and to check back.

I am a bit of a Doubting Thomas on this so far.  

51 minutes ago, kazu said:

I got the same thing, Dave and I’m concerned that this may be an error.

When I put in the voyage # instead of my booking it is telling me that the protocols are not available yet and to check back.

I am a bit of a Doubting Thomas on this so far.  

Mine’s doing the same so I took a screen shot of the standard protocols response when I entered my booking #…. just in case I have to escalate it at embarkation.  I will double-check and screenshot, again, within two days of embarkation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I believe it to be true because our Verifly also dropped the testing requirement.  We have vaccinations checked off and it just shows us needing to answer the health assessment 72 hours before sailing. (Ours is for Oct NA Panama Canal)

Happy happy!

Edited by AncientWanderer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

I believe it to be true because our Verifly also dropped the testing requirement.  We have vaccinations checked off and it just shows us needing to answer the health assessment 72 hours before sailing. (Ours is for Oct NA Panama Canal)

Happy happy!

My Verifly is still showing that I need a test. 😞 Oct 2 on the Rotterdam.

10 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

My Verifly is still showing that I need a test. 😞 Oct 2 on the Rotterdam.

Mine does not and I'm on the same cruise. Actually my Verifly never did ask to upload a testresult. From the start it said vaccination OR test 🤔

HAL clearly has a credibility problem with both their online presence as well as with the information provided to their customer service department.  I get that rules keep changing but they are missing the checks and balances and clarity of communication which is needed to build confidence in their product.  This isn’t just covid-related as it’s been an ongoing topic of conversation on this board since the before times.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, WyKnott said:

I checked RCL to see if they say the same for their Panama Canal cruises, yup. no testing for vaccinated, protocols updated today. So cautiously optomistic.

May I ask where on the RCL web page did you see this? This is great news, but I'm not able to see this same verbiage. 

10 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I'm definitely bringing a bunch of tests on our 45 day Dec/Jan cruise. We took them last year but had required testing each time we entered FLL. I also have my covid kit. Coughdrops, Tylenol,  Advil, Mucinex DM and antibiotics. 

Bring a thermometer too.  I had a pulse oximeter in our Covid kit and used it a few times so take one if you think you will need it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It's official. Canada no longer requires Vaccination, random testing, or the use of Arrivecan. 

I suspect HAL's relaxed protocols are, in part, in response to this news.

Are you sure? Last I looked, still pending Prime Minister Trudeau to sign off. Until then, it's not official yet. But we all think it's coming though.

• Thanks 1