Did HAL just change their Covid rules???

DaveOKC

4 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

No wonder people are avoiding Canada vacations this year.

What proof do you have about that?  I'd like to remind you that all people including Canadian's HAD to have a covid test to fly into the USA one day in advance of flying in which is a lot more than is being asked of travelers coming into Canada.  People just took it in stride, unlike what I've seeing on cruise critic when the tables are slightly turned.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Roz said:

@oakridger, what a hassle!  Where do you have to go for the test?

I filled out the paperwork online then went to the Shoppers Drug Mart on Davie Street in Vancouver which is one of the approved test sites.  It was a $9 CAD plus tip taxi ride from The Fairmont Waterfront Hotel (across from Canada Place).  No appointment is required, and they were very efficient getting people in and out.  The pharmacist gave a swab PCR test, and I was out of the store in about 15 minutes. They said results will be emailed within 4 days max, but no need to wait for results to board the ship on Sunday.  It was neat that I met a woman while waiting that is going on my cruise so we will look for each other onboard!  

I still had to take the rapid antigen Covid later this afternoon to satisfy the Arrive
CAN requirement!  I took it online in my hotel room using the US government free test.  Negative!  Now I'm good to go (after finishing downloading results to ArriveCAN and HAL health attestation).  You can be sure I went and had a glass of champagne after it all!!!  It was a hassle but it's done!  

~Nancy

• Like 6

For those fellow cruisers that plan on taking test kits with them...

Pack your test kits in your carry-on.  Most test kits have to be stored within a certain temperature range.  If you put them in your checked luggage, it's possible that it will be exposed to temps outside the recommended ranges and thus have an effect on the result.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

What proof do you have about that?  I'd like to remind you that all people including Canadian's HAD to have a covid test to fly into the USA one day in advance of flying in which is a lot more than is being asked of travelers coming into Canada.  People just took it in stride, unlike what I've seeing on cruise critic when the tables are slightly turned.

For one thing, many people on this board (including myself) have stated as much.  While I did take an Alaskan cruise in August, I purposely sailed out of Seattle vs Vancouver (which I prefer) to reduce the potential issues.

Secondly, the city of Niagara Falls, Canada just made a public statement that visitors to the Falls were only half of that vs 2019.  I know that this does not involve cruising, but it shows (IMO) that people are avoiding border crossings.

I am not blaming Canada for the problems, but rather just pointing out that there still are still issues between the two countries when it involves travel.  In fact, if I lived in Canada, I would have cruised out of Vancouver.

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

For one thing, many people on this board (including myself) have stated as much.  While I did take an Alaskan cruise in August, I purposely sailed out of Seattle vs Vancouver (which I prefer) to reduce the potential issues.

Secondly, the city of Niagara Falls, Canada just made a public statement that visitors to the Falls were only half of that vs 2019.  I know that this does not involve cruising, but it shows (IMO) that people are avoiding border crossings.

I’ve seen a couple people at the very most state this.  You didn’t address the fact that the USA restrictions were much worse and cumbersome than Canadian restrictions have ever been. We just did what we have to without a fuss. I think one place in Canada is not representative of every place in the country. We are still in a pandemic even though some pretend it’s over.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted earlier today from another CC board when asked about Covid testing in Canada:

"Yep, need the test.  I'm here in Vancouver now and not only did I have to do the rapid antigen test today for boarding and ArriveCAN, but I also got selected to do the Canadian government random testing when I arrived at YVR yesterday!  That was a PCR taken at their approved test site today. Antigen is negative so I'll be boarding Sunday!"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Posted earlier today from another CC board when asked about Covid testing in Canada:

"Yep, need the test.  I'm here in Vancouver now and not only did I have to do the rapid antigen test today for boarding and ArriveCAN, but I also got selected to do the Canadian government random testing when I arrived at YVR yesterday!  That was a PCR taken at their approved test site today. Antigen is negative so I'll be boarding Sunday!"

You should buy a lottery ticket 😉 Have a great trip! 

Edited by Dismomx5
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

The requirement to have a Covid test before flying back into the USA was one of the reasons I deferred a European river cruise I had booked for last December.  I was going to need a test to get into the Netherlands, another to get on the ship, and a 3rd to fly back after the cruise, all with tight timeframes.  Way too much, and who wants to spend their time in Amsterdam searching out testing sites and waiting in line for a test?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Roz said:

The requirement to have a Covid test before flying back into the USA was one of the reasons I deferred a European river cruise I had booked for last December.  I was going to need a test to get into the Netherlands, another to get on the ship, and a 3rd to fly back after the cruise, all with tight timeframes.  Way too much, and who wants to spend their time in Amsterdam searching out testing sites and waiting in line for a test?

I hear you.  I’ve been in the plenty of test situation for every cruise I’ve taken since the start up.  It’s not fun especially while you work full time as I know you do as well, and trying to get your ducks in a row.  I’m very hopeful that the Canadian regulations will end soon.  I’m going to go out on a limb here and say no one here enjoys them either. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

What proof do you have about that?

You asked for proof that Canada tourism is down. . Here you go........  😉 

Looks to me that as a country, Canada tourism rates are just about 55-60% of what they were pre-pandemic. It also appears at though Canadians are less likely to travel to the USA also, so it goes both ways. Fewer people want to travel where there are stiff covid protocols. Seems common sense to me but what do I know 😉  https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/220923/dq220923b-eng.htm

image.png.546bd225443908ba108624b366e40477.png

image.thumb.png.460d695f3bbcfcb108ab906e73e3676e.png

image.thumb.png.47472afa4b250e4ff38e249d0d5f3551.png

image.thumb.png.1f097470e95dfc1835fa3e218226ccea.png

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/220923/dq220923b-eng.htm

image.png.bb486ec69cb1190f8c3a4ab530165fc8.png

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/border-travel-down-millions-from-canada-due-to-covid-restrictions

From a personal standpoint, I live about an hour from the Canadian border and we have visited the ice wine festival every year for about a decade. Until covid. Our entire group (about 20 people) skipped 2020, 2021, and 2022 specifically because of Covid protocols. Much easier to just do an ice wine tasting in northern Michigan. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

From a personal standpoint, I live about an hour from the Canadian border and we have visited the ice wine festival every year for about a decade. Until covid. Our entire group (about 20 people) skipped 2020, 2021, and 2022 specifically because of Covid protocols

I live about 1 1/2 hours from the Canadian border and can attest that people we know (even folks who have family in Canada) just haven't crossed the border like they did pre-Covid. They say it's too much trouble, they will wait until things are better. 

And it goes the other way.  In the past it wasn't uncommon to see Canadian license plates on one out of every 3 cars between where we live and the border. The freeways were full of Canadian cars.  Not anymore, it may be one out of every 10-15.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cruising-along said:

I live about 1 1/2 hours from the Canadian border and can attest that people we know (even folks who have family in Canada) just haven't crossed the border like they did pre-Covid. They say it's too much trouble, they will wait until things are better. 

And it goes the other way.  In the past it wasn't uncommon to see Canadian license plates on one out of every 3 cars between where we live and the border. The freeways were full of Canadian cars.  Not anymore, it may be one out of every 10-15.  

And the outlet malls and other shopping centers continue to feel the loss of volume from Canadian customers.

• Like 3

It shouldn’t be necessary to provide proof.  It’s easy to find (or see) if you look for it.  Travel is down across both borders, and understandably so.  I am always dismayed to see antagonistic posts.  I wish they had the ability to rein it in but I doubt they recognize it.  That makes it sadder.  Knee-jerk reactions never end well.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

We are Canadian and live close to a US border and for us it is also simply too much trouble to cross the US border.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, iceman93 said:

Thanks, @BermudaBound2014, but I don't think the doubter above is going to care about facts.  After all, Canadians have just dealt with everything SO WELL while we Americans just complain.  Apparently.

I don’t remember ANY canadians complaining like a few Americans do on this board. I’m talking when we had to test within one day of flying.  Please share links to those that did complain.  I’ll be more than happy to say I’m wrong 🙄.  My guess is that there will be crickets chirping.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I don’t remember ANY canadians complaining like a few Americans do on this board. I’m talking when we had to test within one day of flying.  Please share links to those that did complain.  I’ll be more than happy to say I’m wrong 🙄.  My guess is that there will be crickets chirping.

May I ask an off topic question? If you are Canadian why do you use a United States signature name? You use a comment such as "like a few Americans " which leads me to believe you aren't an American.. 

50 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I suspect it's just a simple matter of volume of posters. The data shows that Canadians are avoiding travel to the USA at the same rate as USA citizens are avoiding traveling to Canada. People (regardless of citizenship) don't want to travel, especially when there are strict covid protocols.

Why paint an entire country with the same brush. Even you admit that there were just a 'few' Americans complaining. I would guess that Americans outnumber Canadians on this forum so perhaps if there were an equal amount of each citizenship represented you would see an equal amount of complaining ;-). 

We just aren't that much different. 

• Like 2