Crew masks 😷

3 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Are you saying the crew should not wear masks so you can "hear" them?

I get it. Everyone reads lips to process language. It doesn't matter if your hearing is normal or impaired, everyone looks at the lips of the person we are speaking with. It is much easier to have a discussion with a person when you can see their lips.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Grandma Petania said:

I will follow masking guidelines as long as it seems wise.  However, when I sailed a year ago, I definitely had more difficulty understanding some of the servers.  Besides their voices being muffled, I hadn't previously realized how much I had relied on seeing their faces to understand what they were saying.  I never considered myself a lip reader, but I now know what a difference that makes - on a cruise or out in the world the past three years.

You just verified what I have read about this subject. People do not realize that they are reading lips; even those who have perfect hearing do it. We all do it.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Once again I find myself using discretion in my response.   I'll only say that people are still getting sick with masks on!  That is all

That is because they are not wearing the proper masks for protection. Anyone who really wants protection, should wear an N95 mask. Anything other than that, is window dressing and does absolutely nothing for protection.

Earlier in the pandemic, all other masks (NOT N95) were for source control. Meaning, EVERYONE had to wear a mask to control the virus. You know the saying........."your mask protects me and my mask protects you". We are beyond that now. The only people who need to wear masks are the people who want and need protection. The source control aspect never did work anyway because too many people refused to mask and that was BEFORE the vaccines were available to us.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

What anyone does with there life and body is not my business. Free country baby.

I much prefer not to see anyone wearing a mask. If it isn't an N95 mask, I realize the person has no clue what they are doing. On the other hand, anyone who IS wearing an N95 mask, I realize they must need protection from the virus. I figure they are immunocompromised and are savey with their choice of mask.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FireEMT978 said:

Exact same situation! Costco rocks! Just got mine in Jamuary for the same reasons! Best $1400.00 spent recently.

I really really wish we had a Costco closer to us.  We have a Sam's within 4 miles of us.  But, I like options.  Two big box warehouse types would be really great.  It would be even better if we also had a BJs close.  I'd join them all.  

37 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

everyone looks at the lips of the person we are speaking with.

Really?  That's news to me.  I guess all that yelling at my kids to look at me while I talk to them, I was mistaken that they weren't looking at me.  As a Retired Sergeant from the Army we had to discipline/train young folks to look at people that are talking to them.  Hell, today, no matter what the age, people have their heads in their phones, not looking a people talking to them. 

37 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I really really wish we had a Costco closer to us.  We have a Sam's within 4 miles of us.  But, I like options.  Two big box warehouse types would be really great.  It would be even better if we also had a BJs close.  I'd join them all.  

So an hour is too far to drive?  I live in the Birmingham metro area and it takes me over 30 minutes to get to Costco.  I'm there once a week.  If you ever want to go and don't want to make the membership investment, give me a ping and I'll meet you there.  My email address is "my screen name " @ "my screen name" .com. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rudeney said:

So an hour is too far to drive?  I live in the Birmingham metro area and it takes me over 30 minutes to get to Costco.  I'm there once a week.  If you ever want to go and don't want to make the membership investment, give me a ping and I'll meet you there.  My email address is "my screen name " @ "my screen name" .com. 

Thanks, the next time we go to Bucees, Outdoor World, just might take you up on that.  It's not to far to drive for me, just not always worth it unless I combine reasons to go to Birmingham, which I hate to do. 

When we go up to Indiana to visit my youngest daughter, we go to her local Costco using her card.  We just got back a little over a week ago.  Man did we ever fill up the car from Costco for the drive back.  I also bought my current Drone (DJI Mini 2) from Costco the time before this past visit.  Used it in Alaska in May while on the Ovation.  We also go the the one near Senoia, GA (I think it is in Peachtree City) where my oldest daughter lives.  

Unedited:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Thanks, the next time we go to Bucees, Outdoor World, just might take you up on that.  It's not to far to drive for me, just not always worth it unless I combine reasons to go to Birmingham, which I hate to do. 

When we go up to Indiana to visit my youngest daughter, we go to her local Costco using her card.  We just got back a little over a week ago.  Man did we ever fill up the car from Costco for the drive back.  I also bought my current Drone (DJI Mini 2) from Costco the time before this past visit.  Used it in Alaska in May while on the Ovation.  We also go the the one near Senoia, GA (I think it is in Peachtree City) where my oldest daughter lives.  

Unedited:

Great drone footage! 

Seriously, next time you come over this way, let me know.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

I was on Wonder last week and saw 50% or more of MDR staff and stateroom attendants still wearing them. For others like bartenders and retail shops staff, not so much. As others have said, they should be able to mask and protect themselves if they choose to.

More like 90% not wearing them this week. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Why would they be wearing them anyway?

Presumably because the crew are still catching covid and have to isolate which causes crew shortages, which causes problems on board with reduction in service 🤔 

There's a chance the masks may help 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, FireEMT978 said:

Exact same situation! Costco rocks! Just got mine in Jamuary for the same reasons! Best $1400.00 spent recently.

The first place I got tested wanted about $6K for the brand that they sold. No wonder the owner/audiologist drove a Porsche!  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ret MP said:

If @DirtyDawgdoesn't, I do.  I need to see their mouth to hear them.  It's kinda like reading lips.  My hearing is bad but not the kind of bad that can be aided with hearing aides.  So, I rely on seeing the "smiling face", especially in noisy places/situations, to know (hear them) what they are saying.  Generally speaking, if I can't see your face, all I hear is moji jsoifjsaj kjsf nmsfojiwe bla bla bla.  Seeing a face is also one of the many factors involved in social intercourse.  Good or bad.  I like seeing the crew's face for many reasons, knowing what they are saying is a big part of it.  Especially crews, they are from all over the world and have different degrees of accents which make it even harder to hear/understand the spoken word.  Anyone in Law Enforcement will tell you that being able to see someone's face (the whole face) is an important part of their job, being able to decern a lot of factors.   

My wife is my source of repeating what people say to me in noisy, masked, or heavily accented situations.  It can be embarrassing at times especially if what I think was said, wasn't.  

I have some hearing loss, but wear hearing aids, and if you put someone in a mask and then behind a plastic screen to boot, it's like they are talking through a pillow.  Even She Who Must Be Obeyed who can hear a mouse fart has trouble. 

On my cruises since the restart, I have just about given up trying to interact with the crew because I cannot understand them, especially if English is their second language.  Plus, with most of their face covered I can't easily tell them apart.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I'm not allowed to contribute to a Covid discussion per Cruise Critic but what a business owner makes their employees do, is not really a concern of mine unless it affects my enjoyment.  

Yes, for sure.  And a customer service/hospitality business should allow their employees to communicate with their customers/guests unincumbered.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

The first place I got tested wanted about $6K for the brand that they sold. No wonder the owner/audiologist drove a Porsche!  

Paid $5K ten years ago at an audiologist for the highest power Phonak aids. 

Paid $2.5K six months ago at Costco for the highest power Phonak aids.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I need to see their smiling faces so I can "hear" them.  

15 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I need to see their mouth to hear them.  It's kinda like reading lips.  My hearing is bad but not the kind of bad that can be aided with hearing aides.  So, I rely on seeing the "smiling face", especially in noisy places/situations, to know (hear them) what they are saying.  Generally speaking, if I can't see your face, all I hear is moji jsoifjsaj kjsf nmsfojiwe bla bla bla.  Seeing a face is also one of the many factors involved in social intercourse. 

For people who don't "get it" just how much reading lips matters to the average person (with regular hearing), show them this video, then ask them how they think it works out for someone with compromised hearing:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

57 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

I agree... wish everyone would stop giving me nasty looks when I have my chin diaper on  

Agreed. 

We will be wearing them for our upcoming B2B and I don't care who stares or who comments.  Don't like it, don't wear one but don't comment on my choice.  Your thoughts don't matter to me.  Your feelings that it protects nothing doesn't matter to me.  If I offend you, walk away.  I'm always amazed at people wanting to tell others they are wrong when it doesn't affect them.  

There, I said it.  😉