Bermuda travel authorization

puggylicious

I am aware of having to do the Bermuda travel authorization when cruising to Bermuda.  Royal Caribbean hasn’t sent anything about this requirement.  Have people been turned away from boarding the cruise because they hadn’t received the authorization?

4 hours ago, puggylicious said:

I am aware of having to do the Bermuda travel authorization when cruising to Bermuda.  Royal Caribbean hasn’t sent anything about this requirement.  Have people been turned away from boarding the cruise because they hadn’t received the authorization?

The first notification email we received from RCL was 7 days before our sail date. (Ironically on the same day that we received the TA from the Bermuda government.

On our August Mariner cruise to Bermuda, there were officials from the Bermuda government processing TAs at the terminal for those who didn't have them yet (but I wouldn't count on that as standard practice)

Just now, moposh said:

I found out from RCI when I booked my cruise.  The info was on the Web site.

We booked long before the TA process was put into effect, and had we not seen the threads on CC, we would never have thought to look at the RCL website.

52 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We booked long before the TA process was put into effect, and had we not seen the threads on CC, we would never have thought to look at the RCL website.

I knew about the process and am going in three weeks.  If I wouldn't lose my money I would cancel and just take a cruise where the fee and testing are not required.  Only because I am all tested out.  

• Like 1

We travel to Bermuda in late May. We received dozens of reminders from Royal Caribbean. Numerous emails, some reminders were on our check-in process, and some were on the website.

If the authorization is still in place when you sail, you will not be able to board without it.   I believe our authorization took about 10 days to process. Give yourself ample time. 

m

Edited by cruisegirl1

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

Wow.  You must have booked a long time ago.  RCI did send me an email at some point.

Anyone know why RCI Bermuda testing requirements are currently more restrictive than on the Bermuda travel authorization site? Especially since they have dropped testing on most other cruises? Any chance they change it? My unvaccinated granddaughter needs a pcr 3 days out but Bermuda says 4 days for pcr  or accepting 2 day antigen when accompanied by vaccinated parent. ( her dad refused consent for vaccination) No one within an hour of us guarantees pcr within 3 days although they say 1-3 days. 4 days would be better.  Walgreens in NJ that we checked are only taking appointments 3 days out, and charging close to $130. Daughter ok with paying rather than fight with the dad. We are driving to NJ on Friday so stressful wondering if we can make an appointment time. We knew about testing when we booked but didn’t have any idea free and/ or convenient testing would end. We are planning to use supervised antigen ourselves. 

5 minutes ago, landerslp said:

Anyone know why RCI Bermuda testing requirements are currently more restrictive than on the Bermuda travel authorization site? Especially since they have dropped testing on most other cruises? Any chance they change it? My unvaccinated granddaughter needs a pcr 3 days out but Bermuda says 4 days for pcr  or accepting 2 day antigen when accompanied by vaccinated parent. ( her dad refused consent for vaccination) No one within an hour of us guarantees pcr within 3 days although they say 1-3 days. 4 days would be better.  Walgreens in NJ that we checked are only taking appointments 3 days out, and charging close to $130. Daughter ok with paying rather than fight with the dad. We are driving to NJ on Friday so stressful wondering if we can make an appointment time. We knew about testing when we booked but didn’t have any idea free and/ or convenient testing would end. We are planning to use supervised antigen ourselves. 

I would say RCI hasn't updated their Web site.

Bermuda is not going to drop the TA, regardless of changes in covid protocols.  It's a cash cow, and they are loving it.  Our Bermudian guide explained to us that it's not just tourists.  EVERYONE must pay the $40 fee to enter the country, including its own citizens!

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

Bermuda is not going to drop the TA, regardless of changes in covid protocols.  It's a cash cow, and they are loving it.  Our Bermudian guide explained to us that it's not just tourists.  EVERYONE must pay the $40 fee to enter the country, including its own citizens!

There are changes being announced Friday. I suspect though they might only affect transatlantics. Or they may drop requiring their own residents from the TA. It is not popular in Bermuda and there are political stirrings... They anounced that the state of emergency is ending November 1. Not really understanding how they picked  November 1. 

Edited by Charles4515

18 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Todays news is that the TA form will be phased out but no decision on the fee. As some suspect they may keep the fee somehow. 

https://www.royalgazette.com/health/news/article/20220929/ta-form-to-be-phased-out-but-no-decision-on-fee/

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, mrpayroll said:

I went to Bermuda travel authorization page on Monday for our October 8th Bermuda cruise on Mariner. Hopefully i did everything correct.

I did mine a week ago for an Oct 16 cruise. Still waiting on approval paperwork. 

They do have my money 😉

15 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Todays news is that the TA form will be phased out but no decision on the fee. As some suspect they may keep the fee somehow. 

https://www.royalgazette.com/health/news/article/20220929/ta-form-to-be-phased-out-but-no-decision-on-fee/

I can live with the $40 money grab but this is the part that sounds the best to me:

"From October 25, the requirement for pre-arrival and pre-departure testing, arrival testing, and day-four testing for travellers will be dropped."

Edited by NightOne

19 hours ago, landerslp said:

Your granddaughter can take a proctored telehealth test 2 days prior, right?  That seems the least expensive option.  BinaxNOW can be done with a cell phone from anywhere.  Cost is $70 for a 2-pack from the Optum.com store. 

• 1 month later...

Better late than never, Bermuda is finally removing the travel authorization form, which was needed to be allowed to travel to the island by plane or cruise ship.

The form will no longer be required starting November 14, almost three weeks earlier than previously announced, and in time for several cruise ships to take advantage. 

Bermuda implemented the $40 travel authorization during the pandemic to be able to track and minimize the risk of COVID coming to the island.

However, although Bermuda opened up for all travelers some time ago, it held on to the travel authorization form. The form will now be replaced with the old Bermuda arrival card, which is free of charge. 

Bermuda Removes $40 Travel Authorisation

Effective November 14, those traveling to Bermuda by air or by cruise ship will no longer be required to apply for and pay a $40 fee for the travel authorization form that has been in place during the last two years.

Although the Bermuda government had announced previously it would remove the form in December, this has been pushed forward by three weeks.

A Government spokesperson said the following: “Today, the Bermuda Government is pleased to announce the elimination of the travel authorization [TA] process three weeks earlier than previously announced, a move which will streamline the overall travel experience for visitors.”

“The requirement for an approved TA, the associated forty-dollar fee, and proof of vaccination or medical insurance will end on 13th November 2022.”

The Travel Authorization form will be removed, and the Bermuda Tourism Authority will bring back the old Arrival Card:

“Effective 14th November, the Bermuda Tourism Authority [BTA] will reinstate the Bermuda Arrival Card, a digital form for visitors only, which was in place prior to the onset of the pandemic. The BTA will provide more information on the process around the Bermuda Arrival Card later today.”

With the removal of the Travel Authorization, Bermuda removed the last hurdles that were in place post-pandemic. Regardless of their vaccination status, everyone is free to travel to Bermuda

Those traveling to Bermuda can apply for the arrival card at www.BermudaArrivalCard.com. There is no approval process or fee, and once the required fields have been completed, the form is available as a downloadable link or by email.

All non-residents who travel to Bermuda as of November 14 must complete the Bermuda Arrival Card even if they have previously completed a travel authorization form. 

Several Cruise Ships Impacted

Although we are already in November, several cruise ships will still be able to benefit from the changes implemented by the Bermuda government.

Norwegian Joy arrives in Bermuda on November 21 for a three-day stay. The ship will sail from New York City on November 19 and return on November 26.

Ocean Cruises’ Sirena arrives in Hamilton, Bermuda, on November 14 and is the first cruise ship to benefit from the new protocols. She is sailing a 14-night transatlantic voyage from Barcelona to Miami. The next day, Norwegian Joy will arrive in Bermuda.

MSC Seascape guests sailing from Rome to New York will arrive in Bermuda on December 2. Unfortunately, those arriving in Bermuda before November 14 will still need to apply for the Travel Authorization. This includes cruises onboard Norwegian Pearl on November 6 and 13.

Bermuda Will Finally Drop Its Travel Authorization (cruisehive.com)

Edited by Biker19