5 Ships for the USA in Winter 2023-24

sidari

No surprise, considering the economic situation on where the EU is living these days. I believe a 6th ship would be added if more cruise berths were available for them to operate. Alaska would be great, but it is perhaps too busy to support a new market entrant.

12 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Love to see that MSC are expanding their fleet in the US.  However, I would have loved it even more if one of those ships was earmarked for Alaska.  Hopefully soon.  

Alaska was being considered even before Covid-19. It could still happen in the future. 

Explora Journeys will be there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Explora Journeys will be there. 

Yes, I have looked in to this option as the new ship look beautiful and the all inclusive aspect is very appealing.  I've priced out a 10 night Alaska cruise for 2023 and it's currently just over 10k...not terrible when considering the per person/per day breakdown but still pricey.

1 hour ago, phissy said:

Obviously , we would prefer a Seattle port.😎

I wouldn't mind that too much either.  Could tie a cruise from there with a visit to friends and relatives in Sequim/Pt. Angeles area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, riredsox said:

I prefer sailing out of Port Canaveral but they are bringing the Seashore there.  I’ve sailed it twice,  beautiful ship, fantastic crew but both times I was not happy with the YC dining room.  

May I ask why?

7 hours ago, phissy said:

Would be great if MSC would sail Alaska out of Seattle.  
Sailing out of Vancouver can be difficult with airport and port back ups.

Obviously , we would prefer a Seattle port.😎

Why not sailing from San Francisco?  Would provide a longer cruise, scenic sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge, a new cruise terminal, air connections would be good:  lots of good reasons for that city serving as a homeport for Alaska cruises, I think.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Why not sailing from San Francisco?  Would provide a longer cruise, scenic sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge, a new cruise terminal, air connections would be good:  lots of good reasons for that city serving as a homeport for Alaska cruises, I think.  

I read a while back that it has to do with berth payments in Alaska and the likes of RCI, NCL and Princess have the bragging rights on them which makes it difficult for MSC to get a foot in the door.

14 hours ago, mafig said:

May I ask why?

Usually on a cruise I can’t wait to go to dinner but the food in the YC dining never impressed me.  It just wasn’t that good.   A shame because the crew was the absolute best!

• Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 8:29 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

To what are you referring?

It is poorly coded to handle mobile devices such as my iPad pro.  I can get on with my Airbook and navigate in ways that are not possible on my iPad.  On iPad won’t acknowledge I have a cruise booked or allow me to manage anything in it….go to the laptop and completely different experience.  Never had that happen with any other travel or cruise site.  Frustratiing. 

And yes this is using the same login credentials in both cases.

Edited by Laserjock

4 hours ago, Laserjock said:

It is poorly coded to handle mobile devices such as my iPad pro.  I can get on with my Airbook and navigate in ways that are not possible on my iPad.  On iPad won’t acknowledge I have a cruise booked or allow me to manage anything in it….go to the laptop and completely different experience.  Never had that happen with any other travel or cruise site.  Frustratiing. 

And yes this is using the same login credentials in both cases.

Yes, I agree with your frustration.  Their website has been a challenge for us as well.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That's what we did when we sailed to AK, on Princess.  For us it was lovely having more sea days before and after, and, of course, a longer cruise overall.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

That's what we did when we sailed to AK, on Princess.  For us it was lovely having more sea days before and after, and, of course, a longer cruise overall.

My opinion:  there are cruising itineraries that could be developed by the cruise lines that would appeal to those of us who have sailed the "traditional 3-4-5-6-7-10-11-14, etc. days itineraries".  Probably not a season of such, but,  maybe a few each cruising.  

20 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

MSC making good on their strategic decision to expand its footprint in North America and compete with the "big boys"

If I understand the plans correctly, Costa Luminosa will also be sailing Alaska itineraries next year.  Any connection with MSC's decision, I wonder?  

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

If I understand the plans correctly, Costa Luminosa will also be sailing Alaska itineraries next year.  Any connection with MSC's decision, I wonder?  

The former CL is now the Carnival Luminosa from September.