Check in time vs boarding time

getawaygirl

We are leaving out of New York on the Breakaway. We picked 9:30am as our preboarding time. However, our paperwork shows they don't actually board until 12:00. Is there any reason to get there by 9:30? Or should we just relax for a bit at our hotel? I really don't want to stand around waiting to board if we can't board til 12:00. Any info on how this works?

15 minutes ago, getawaygirl said:

We are leaving out of New York on the Breakaway. We picked 9:30am as our preboarding time. However, our paperwork shows they don't actually board until 12:00. Is there any reason to get there by 9:30? Or should we just relax for a bit at our hotel? I really don't want to stand around waiting to board if we can't board til 12:00. Any info on how this works?

You have selected a time to arrive at the terminal. When you arrive, you will need to wait in line and clear security. Then wait in line to check in. At check-in, you will be assigned a boarding group. You board with your boarding group.

Haven (suite) boarding starts around 11:00

Priority Boarding (Latitudes Platinum, Sapphire, Diamond, Ambassador) starts around 11:15

General Boarding (by boarding group) will start around 11:30

If you arrive at 12:00, the lines at security and check in will be long and you will be standing around there. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fredflint said:

But if you arrive at 2 PM there will not be any line more than likely not like someone if going to take your room 🙂

Depends on your departure time. In order to clear the ship with US immigrations, check-in closes 2 hours prior to departure. Our NY cruise departs at 4 pm. In our case, arriving after 2 pm should result in denial of boarding. 

Edited by BirdTravels

2 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Doesn't that shorten your cruise fun by several hours?  I'm confused.

Perhaps.  To a great extent it depends upon the port.  We spent almost two hours standing in line before we could checkin for our last cruise at NOLA.  So, it's a tradeoff.  We've decided to wait until ~1300 to checkin.  Sure, that means we will shorten the 'fun' by a couple of hours, but it also means we will shorten the 'fun' of standing in line by a couple of hours.  Boarding a couple of hours earlier doesn't seem to be worth standing in line for two hours.  

• Like 1

Yes, There is no longer a drill. You need to watch the safety video multiple times and then go to your Muster Station and have your key card swiped. If you are in the Haven, someone will take you there before there is a crowd and then put you on the elevator to the Haven.  ( sorry, I still call guest services The Purser)

20 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Doesn't that shorten your cruise fun by several hours?  I'm confused.

True…but I just HATE waiting in lines.  To me, I’m happier to get to the pier, checkin, and walk on b lard.  I don’ t need to be the first on board when the cabins aren’t ready yet after fighting the throngs who are getting off the ship, and the throngs trying to get on the ship.

I saunter to the checkin area after all the chaos is over.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

True…but I just HATE waiting in lines.  To me, I’m happier to get to the pier, checkin, and walk on b lard.  I don’ t need to be the first on board when the cabins aren’t ready yet after fighting the throngs who are getting off the ship, and the throngs trying to get on the ship.

I saunter to the checkin area after all the chaos is over.

We prefer to get there early, after we board we go to a MDR, have lunch, once we are done the cabins are usually available.

36 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

We prefer to get there early, after we board we go to a MDR, have lunch, once we are done the cabins are usually available.

That works, too.  If I’m in the Haven, I can board right away.  I’m OK getting there early for that.

But, getting caught up in the crowds early is something I try to avoid.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

That works, too.  If I’m in the Haven, I can board right away.  I’m OK getting there early for that.

Lol I hate crowds too, I suggested we wait to go to the ship for our last cruise, my husband and kids were like no way (we live 20 minutes away and were just sitting around at 8:30 am at home).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Early boarding for haven depends on the port.  We stood in line for over an hour in NOLA even though we were Haven. There was no separate boarding line for Haven guests.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Early boarding for haven depends on the port.  We stood in line for over an hour in NOLA even though we were Haven. There was no separate boarding line for Haven guests.

We have found that to be disappointing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Depends on your departure time. In order to clear the ship with US immigrations, check-in closes 2 hours prior to departure. Our NY cruise departs at 4 pm. In our case, arriving after 2 pm should result in denial of boarding. 

I've taken 5 cruises out of NYC. Their is always people who seem to be boarding up to 20-30 minutes before we pull out

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ucfpirate said:

Thanks. Trying to determine what time at 21 days out does it open up. 

What is so critical about being first to check=in. After all you have paid in full and have a stateroom assigned. Beyond that, relax and let life unfold. It is a vacation not a contest.