Arrival Time

romandog

Our check in opened this morning at midnight. I checked in at 12:04 and the only times available were at 1:00 or later. I picked 1:00. My dilemma is that the hotel check out time is 11:00. Has anyone shown up at the port early, and was able to check in early, or were you stuck waiting outside?

Very unusual that there were no times before 1 p.m. - even with Diamonds and Platinums checking in 2 days prior.  Must be tons of them on board.  When we cruised in June (NY) they were checking boarding times - same with Feb. from Miami.   Other reports on this board says people have shown up early and been allowed to check in.  Maybe you can ask for late checkout at hotel, or hang in the lobby for a bit.

Where are you sailing from?  

What time is the ship departing?

I've not been able to get an early arrival appointment only one time and that was my most recent cruise (15 days to Hawaii) where I swear half the ship was Diamond or Platinum, and even then my arrival appointment was 11:00 AM and boarding zone C-3.  

One time I was only able to get a 1:00 PM arrival appointment but I found out that I'd neglected to read the email informing me that departure had been delayed.

To be honest I can see an advantage for getting a very late arrival appointment - avoid crowds and walk straight onto the ship with immediate access to your cabin.  In fact that's going to be my strategy from now on, we'll have a leisurely breakfast at the hotel, maybe go for a swim before checking out, go shopping to pick up our carry-on soft drinks and anything else we might have forgot, and then have lunch before heading to the port.

As far as arriving at the port well before your arrival appointment and getting into the terminal, sometimes they don't check arrival times (in which case there's quite a few people who get into the terminal that shouldn't be there yet and it's a total mess), and other times there have been separate ques based on arrival appointment.  I get the impression that more ports might be moving toward enforcing arrival times.  To be honest you're not going to get on the ship any sooner by cheating because you board based on boarding zone and they're very strict about enforcing that.

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 1

We had a 10:30-11:00 boarding time, got to the checkin area at 10:55, and saw early checkins in a que, but since we were probably the last ones for our time slot, they had started to let the early ones go.  They’ll do that until the next time slot is due and let those folks begin the checkin, holding the que until that time slot empties out.

Best to wait in the hotel lobby or swim or eat until your time slot, then go to the port.  

3 hours ago, romandog said:

I’m going on the Legend out of Baltimore. I’m not looking at cheating, just asking if there is a place to sit and wait. It is what it is.

Just for grins I looked up a few of Legend's itineraries and it looks like most of them leave at either 5:00 PM or 6:00 PM, which could explain the later than expected arrival times.  It's quite possible that you're in one of the first groups. 

What boarding zone are you in (will be on your boarding pass) ?

Edited by groundloop

Most hotels, if you ask, will allow a late check-out, which is usually around 12:00 pm or sometimes 1:00 pm. Just ask nicely and explain your situation. At the very least, they will hold your luggage so you can explore the area.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mz-s said:

Most of the homeports these days are enforcing arrival appointments during busy times. You will likely be stuck waiting in an early arrival line if you show up before your arrival appointment.

Didn’t happen on Mardi Gras two days ago. Lots of 12:30, 1:00 or later people checking in during our 10-10:30 time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, romandog said:

I’m going on the Legend out of Baltimore. I’m not looking at cheating, just asking if there is a place to sit and wait. It is what it is.

Baltimore cruise port is strict about not allowing incoming cruisers to arrive early for their cruise before the departing guests have debarked and removed their cars from the port parking facility or have their other vehicles for transportation (taxis, buses, etc.) out of the port area.

This is because of the severe traffic problems that early arrivals cause on the traffic flow outside and inside the port area. 

If you are driving to post, there is plenty to do in Baltimore (museums and the Inner Harbor) that are close to the cruise port.

For some reason, I can't post a link to the Baltimore Cruise Port website.

Please google in and read  the official Embarkation page where the first bullet is not to arrive before your arrival time on your documents.

1 hour ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Didn’t happen on Mardi Gras two days ago. Lots of 12:30, 1:00 or later people checking in during our 10-10:30 time.

Does the Mardi Gras cruise out of Baltimore?

If the answer is no, how does this answer the OP's question?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Does the Mardi Gras cruise out of Baltimore?

If the answer is no, how does this answer the OP's question?

It was said that said most homeports enforce the rules. If it can be pointed out other ports on this thread then I felt it was ok for me to let others know about that port. 

Edited by Colorado Beach Bum

Legend returns to port for disembarkation at 10am!  

So a 1pm time is actually quite close to the start.

Check out and hang out in the Lobby, or breakfast area.  Drive around if you are driving.  You might meet fellow cruisers and socialize to pass the time.

We received a automated call yesterday for our cruise departing this Saturday and it basically said arrive at your assigned boarding time and that if you arrive earlier you will be turned away and asked to return at the time assigned.  Whether or not it will be enforced we will  see.  It's out of Norfolk and from what we experienced 3  years ago there was nothing but a circus.  Hopefully these automated calls will prompt those to come at their assigned time.