Seabourn compared to Regent, Oceania & Azamara

dabear

We are considering a cruise on the Sojourn and are concerned about the formalness (vs country club casual) & food as compared to Regent, Oceania & Azamara which we've cruised on multiple times. From some cc posts there appears to be a trend to be more casual but a lot of objections to it from other posters. I mean nice collared shirt & pants & possibly a sport coat but no tie (worn one most of my life).Can you comment ?  We don't want to feel uncomfortable. Also don't want only buffets for breakfast.

Edited by dabear
typo

On most nights the MDR dress code for men is collared long sleeved shirt and  trousers, and shoes ( I don't think socks are mandatory), but not sandals. On formal night you should wear a jacket (sport coat or blazer, linen perhaps) on top, but no one is insisting on a dickie bow, nor even a tie. Having said that I often wear a jacket anyway because I have some nice ones and it looks a little smarter and makes it feel more of an occasion. And let's not forget that the aircon can be tad fierce in some spots, so you may requre the jacket to drape over your wife's or partner's shoulders if they are feeling the chill in their jazzy little blouse. The Colonnade has a more easy-going vibe, and most people like to 'dress up' for TK.

Many passengers on SB have good taste, like nice clothes and enjoy wearing them.

I have always found the buffet breakfast offerings to be quite adequate, and similar to what one will find in many 4 and 5 star hotels (but avoid the hash browns). Waiters will come round to take orders for tea or coffee and toast, and one can order eggs in a variety of styles, as well as bacon, sausages, grilled tomatoes or anything else you can think of, and they will (or perhaps these days one should say should) bring these to your table (eventually). Oh , and freshly squeezed orange juice (hopefully). 

Edited by Flamin_June
fixed typos

2 hours ago, dabear said:

We are considering a cruise on the Sojourn and are concerned about the formalness (vs country club casual) & food as compared to Regent, Oceania & Azamara which we've cruised on multiple times. From some cc posts there appears to be a trend to be more casual but a lot of objections to it from other posters. I mean nice collared shirt & pants & possibly a sport coat but no tie (worn one most of my life).Can you comment ?  We don't want to feel uncomfortable. Also don't want only buffets for breakfast.

I don't know where people have gotten the idea that there is only buffet for breakfast.  The Colonnade does have a breakfast buffet, but you absolutely can order table service for pretty much whatever you might want for breakfast -- pancakes, french toast, omelets, eggs benedict, etc.

As far as attire, I would consider Seabourn "country club casual" in the main dining room for all but formal nights, and even then it's really not very formal at all.  Maybe a few more ties and slightly dressier dresses by most folks.

• Like 4

Dress code topics on here always become heated because people keep confusing what they want the dress code to be with what it is. All you need on “formal optional” nights is a sports jacket and slacks (no jeans). And only in The Restaurant at that. All other venues are smart casual every night. It really isn’t more complicated than that and although some Seabourn regulars aren’t happy with it, Seabourn hasn’t been formal for many years now. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SDuckers said:

I don't know where people have gotten the idea that there is only buffet for breakfast.  The Colonnade does have a breakfast buffet, but you absolutely can order table service for pretty much whatever you might want for breakfast -- pancakes, french toast, omelets, eggs benedict, etc.

As far as attire, I would consider Seabourn "country club casual" in the main dining room for all but formal nights, and even then it's really not very formal at all.  Maybe a few more ties and slightly dressier dresses by most folks.

As a seasoned SB cruiser, I know that.  The ISSUE is the ambience--and in the Colonnade, it is a bit frenetic--what with the buffet going on and all.  Indoors, the ambience is a bit like an upscale cafeteria.  Outdoors is better--when you can get a table and the weather is ok.   It is NOT the same thing as a serene breakfast in the MDR.  It is NOT all about the food, but about ambience as well.  I think this fact is lost on some who may enjoy being surrounded by people at all times.  

I have never liked the ambience in the Colonnade--except for the occasional lunch on the deck outside of the Colonnade and ordering from the menu at that.  The inside part of the Colonnade is never pleasant--it's noisy, crowded and just generally not luxurious.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I agree completely with florisdekort - the dress code on the Seabourn website clearly states that formal attire for men is "tuxedo, suit or sport coat and slacks" when dining in the Restaurant. Others have gone on and on about black tie - sorry, no mention anywhere on the Seabourn site. The rest of the nights and anywhere else on the ship, "country club casual" is a great description of reality. And a tie is rarely seen.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, twodjs said:

I agree completely with florisdekort - the dress code on the Seabourn website clearly states that formal attire for men is "tuxedo, suit or sport coat and slacks" when dining in the Restaurant. Others have gone on and on about black tie - sorry, no mention anywhere on the Seabourn site. The rest of the nights and anywhere else on the ship, "country club casual" is a great description of reality. And a tie is rarely seen.

I totally agree with you.  You state Seabourn's dress code exactly. I don not agree that a tie is rarely seen. Mr. SLSD wears one every night because he looks great in them and wants to match in terms of dressiness what I am wearing.  It's not a big deal for him.  He likes to look great.  I do understand that there are different perceptions of dress.  I think (as I have said before) it all comes down to your culture (and where you live).  What do you think it appropriate for elegant dining?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

As a seasoned SB cruiser, I know that.  The ISSUE is the ambience--and in the Colonnade, it is a bit frenetic--what with the buffet going on and all.  Indoors, the ambience is a bit like an upscale cafeteria.  Outdoors is better--when you can get a table and the weather is ok.   It is NOT the same thing as a serene breakfast in the MDR.  It is NOT all about the food, but about ambience as well.  I think this fact is lost on some who may enjoy being surrounded by people at all times.  

I have never liked the ambience in the Colonnade--except for the occasional lunch on the deck outside of the Colonnade and ordering from the menu at that.  The inside part of the Colonnade is never pleasant--it's noisy, crowded and just generally not luxurious.  

Maybe it's because DH and I are early risers, so we are at the Colonnade for breakfast not long after it opens on most days,  but it has never seemed all that hectic or noisy then (although I do prefer sitting outside if the weather is good, just because I love the view).  Or maybe before I have my coffee, I just don't notice as much, LOL.  Lunch, I totally agree with you about the Colonnade, and we rarely if ever eat lunch there because of that.  I am perfectly happy with the Patio Grill for lunch most days (again, weather permitting).

10 minutes ago, SDuckers said:

Maybe it's because DH and I are early risers, so we are at the Colonnade for breakfast not long after it opens on most days,  but it has never seemed all that hectic or noisy then (although I do prefer sitting outside if the weather is good, just because I love the view).  Or maybe before I have my coffee, I just don't notice as much, LOL.  Lunch, I totally agree with you about the Colonnade, and we rarely if ever eat lunch there because of that.  I am perfectly happy with the Patio Grill for lunch most days (again, weather permitting).

We also enjoy the Patio Grill for many lunches, but not ALL of them on a long cruise.  By the same token, we do not want to dine every day on the patio outside of the Colonnade either--as we only order from the menu and it is very short.  I think some will see my point.  It's not about asking for a panoply of cuisine choices, it's about asking for a serene place to dine in keeping with a luxurious  cruise. 

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, florisdekort said:

Dress code topics on here always become heated because people keep confusing what they want the dress code to be with what it is. All you need on “formal optional” nights is a sports jacket and slacks (no jeans). And only in The Restaurant at that. All other venues are smart casual every night. It really isn’t more complicated than that and although some Seabourn regulars aren’t happy with it, Seabourn hasn’t been formal for many years now. 

I really miss the days when formal attire was worn on formal nights. It was a treat to see men in tuxedos for a change. They were so attractive to look at. And the ladies looked so glamorous in their floor-length gowns. You don't have to invest in a fortune to look splendid. Just a bit of taste & imagination will do it!

• Like 2

We never found Seabourn overly dressy. We found our Caribbean cruise was very relaxed with mostly sport coats and suits on formal optional nights. I saw just one or two tuxes. I saw no ballgowns but women looked nice. I wore black dress pants with a dressy shirt and some bling. When we went to Asia it was slightly dressier but still few tuxes or long dresses. And we tend to pack the same clothes for Seabourn as we did on Regent.  The exception would be a gala for a world cruise on either line but that is a different type of formal night. I think with the challenges of traveling in this day and age,  the dress code of old is going to be harder to maintain. 

• Like 2

You asked for a comparison to Azamara, which we sailed many times prior to Covid.  While we have always enjoyed AZ, and will return someday, we have found the food quality and variety to be a slight step above on Seabourn, in all venues, the specialty resto, the deck grill, the main dining room, and the buffet.  We have also found Seabourn to be slightly more dressy than AZ due to the country club casual dress code in the main dining room, something that does not really exist on AZ.  So slightly better food, slightly more dressy.  Finally, because of the passenger load, the Seabourn ships are more spacious than AZ, which can feel crowded on sea days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2022 at 4:06 PM, Ka Honu said:

Lamb chops and eggs to order at breakfast in the Colonnade. Also lots of other stuff. Every day. Every cruise.

That's all anyone needs to know.

Wow, I'm all in on the Lamb Chops and eggs for breakfast.  Is this new on the menu or special order?  If speical order, does it need to be ordered 24 hours before.

I have 247 days on Seabourn but have not been on since Jan. 2020.  Thanks

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 11:53 AM, dabear said:

We are considering a cruise on the Sojourn and are concerned about the formalness (vs country club casual) & food as compared to Regent, Oceania 

I've been or a LOT of cruise lines (see signature below) but have settled in on Seabourn as my default cruise line of choice.  We did test drive Oceania and found the food to be dreadful, to say the least.   Oceania starts with lower quality food and triples down on the spices and sauces to cover up the low quality.  Personally I get migraine headaches from certain spices (especially MSG) and I couldn't find anything on Oceania that wasn't full of MSG, onions and garlic.

I think lamb chops are always on offer.  And personally have found eating in the Colonnade not a horrid experience; we order most things, so don't wait in line at the buffet except maybe for fruit and yogurt etc. to get exactly what you want.  Always enjoyed eggs benedict or blueberry pancakes with syrup etc.  Being a Brit. I admit to not being a connoisseur of proper maple syrup, however.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raphael360 said:

Wow, I'm all in on the Lamb Chops and eggs for breakfast.  Is this new on the menu or special order?

Me too!  Steak and eggs for breakfast?  Yes!  Have enjoyed that a few times.  But, Lamb Chops?  Never thought of that!  Sounds good, but, does Mint Jelly go well with Scrambled Eggs and Toast?  😀

Edited by rkacruiser

26 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Me too!  Steak and eggs for breakfast?  Yes!  Have enjoyed that a few times.  But, Lamb Chops?  Never thought of that!  Sounds good, but, does Mint Jelly go well with Scrambled Eggs and Toast?  😀

The patio grill also had lamb chops available some days at lunch.  I would have them with those wonderful crispy french fries!  Did not try for the mint jelly though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SDuckers said:

The patio grill also had lamb chops available some days at lunch.  I would have them with those wonderful crispy french fries!  Did not try for the mint jelly though.

Sadly on Odyssey they have zero Mint Jelly and zero Mint Sauce to go with the Lamb such is the chaos of the organisation of this entire cruise 

4 hours ago, phillipahain said:

Itinery itinery itinery everytime but if it comes to a choice its Regent first 2nd 3rd and beyond 

Seriously in order for us its 

1) Regent

2) Seabourn

3) Oceania

4) Azamara 

No Silversea in your list?

This IS getting outta hand!

Never mind, dear… Help is on the way. Your trusted source will be in Silver Dawn starting 2 Nov., and will report on all mint sauce/jelly concerns.

So just be patient a bit longer.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, raphael360 said:

Wow, I'm all in on the Lamb Chops and eggs for breakfast.  Is this new on the menu or special order?  If speical order, does it need to be ordered 24 hours before

I got hooked on lamb chops for breakfast on my first "big boy" cruise on Radisson in '96 and was thrilled several years ago to find it always available on Seabourn. The only "special order" required is telling your waiter how you want your eggs and chops done. I also ask them to put both on the same plate (I don't see the point of using two). 

18 hours ago, phillipahain said:

1) Regent

2) Seabourn

3) Oceania

4) Azamara 

Matched our choices until Regent took itself completely off our list about 5 years ago by raising prices several hundred $/day to include shore excursions we didn't want. 

Edited by Ka Honu
  • Like 1