When did they stop "American" night and the Baked Alaska parade in the MDR?

Kay S

20 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

I just got off the Discovery and there was the Baked Alaska Parade with fake candles.  

Thank god!

Years ago, they used to toss some sugar cubes in a shot glass in the center of the baked alaska.

Add some sterno, and light it for the parade.

You have not lived until you have (accidently) enjoyed one of these sterno soaked sugar cubes in a bit of cake.

I have net eaten baked alaska since...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

As part of American night (the final dinner of the voyage when returning to US ports$

I have never heard it called American night.  It’s always been Farewell Gala on all the cruises we’ve been on.

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

As part of American night (the final dinner of the voyage when returning to US ports), they do have a speech and such to recognize the chefs and dining staff. 

But surely the chefs and dining staff are not American, so why the need for a special night ?

23 hours ago, mom says said:

I think it's gross too. And tasteless, cheesy, and highly unsanitary. And there is no way I'm eating anything that has been paraded, unprotected, past hundreds of dirty, microbe laden napkins flailing about

better hope everyone puts their teeth back in before the flailing of the napkins begins!  Worse than a drive by fruiting when one gets a partial upper to the left temple!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Senga said:

I have never heard it called American night.  It’s always been Farewell Gala on all the cruises we’ve been on.

I think they called it American night only on Princess.  Other lines will have different names.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kay S said:

I think they called it American night only on Princess.  Other lines will have different names.

I remember it sometimes being called “Landfall Dinner” on Princess. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Senga said:

Did you mention it to the OP or read thread title?  It is an American themed menu night.  Whatever you wamt to call it doesn't change the menu theme.

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

But surely the chefs and dining staff are not American, so why the need for a special night ?

Most if them aren't Italian eithrt, but they have an Italian theme menu.  

We had some themed dishes when in Greece area and a nod or two to other Mediterranean dishes.  It doesn't need to be special either.  The only thing "special" was the goofy parade.

When we first started cruising on Princess there was an American Night menu and a parade with real baked Alaska (dome shaped) that at the end of the parade was brought to your table and then cut to serve

At some point Princess dropped the Amarican Night name, but kept the same menu and the same American themed attire for the wait staff.

Then at a later point in time, they started using fake baked Alaskas (dome shaped) for  the parade. The baked Alaska served was from a sheet cake with each serving being about 1/4 the size of when it was served from a real domed baked Alaska. I am sure this was a money saver for Princess,

Now, as a poster said above, they have been serving an individual small domed shape version.

On 10/28/2022 at 1:20 AM, caribill said:

When we first started cruising on Princess there was an American Night menu and a parade with real baked Alaska (dome shaped) that at the end of the parade was brought to your table and then cut to serve

At some point Princess dropped the Amarican Night name, but kept the same menu and the same American themed attire for the wait staff.

Thanks for the confirmation.  Yes, the wait staff had red, white and blue vests.  I wish I had a picture.

I was on the Majestic in March, my first cruise since the restart. They did have the fake Alaska's  and the intro's on the last night but definitely no uniform changes. All week there were menus that mirrored the old "Italian night" etc but no uniform changes. I like it better this way. I also like that their "Always Available" menu items are quite extensive. 

On 10/27/2022 at 4:03 PM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

better hope everyone puts their teeth back in before the flailing of the napkins begins!  Worse than a drive by fruiting when one gets a partial upper to the left temple!!!

I believe that was a "Run by fruiting". 😉

• Haha 1