JamieLogical's Live from the Breakaway 10/30 - 11/6

JamieLogical

19 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Yes... there are showers in the spa on the Breakaway... not sure how that would have dried my bathing suit? Good to know. Thanks. I like to shower and change into clean clothes before leaving the spa. 

My understanding was that LaGuardia is not usually impacted by the marathon the way JFK allegedly is, but I don't think it had much impact on JFK either. Oh well, better safe than sorry. I did not go with one of the aggressive uber drivers, btw... we ordered an uber through the app like normal. Definitely the way to go. I just wanted to warn others. 

13 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

Is NCL back into your regular rotation or is this still just a one off?  Interested in your thoughts.  

I still think it won't be my first choice, but if I can find a great deal at the right time, I might do it again. I did not purchase any CruiseNext, as I am not confident I will sail with NCL again in the next four years. I certainly got my money's worth, so no complaints there! I will say, that for sailing solo, it really was nice to have more solo meet-up opportunities and more of a night-life to enjoy and make friends with. I feel like, when sailing with my husband, we wouldn't take as much advantage of the night life and social activities. So, I will definitely just keep an eye out for great solo deals.

• Like 3

AFC East tightening up, thanks J-E-T-S. I was flipping back and forth between Fins/Bears and Bills/Jets wondering if JL made it home to see the game in time...

Are you a member of the Bills Mafia? I saw them take over the Elbow Room in Ft. Lauderdale when the Bills visited earlier this year. They are definitely the team to beat.

19 minutes ago, Wedgie Wedgie said:

AFC East tightening up, thanks J-E-T-S. I was flipping back and forth between Fins/Bears and Bills/Jets wondering if JL made it home to see the game in time...

Are you a member of the Bills Mafia? I saw them take over the Elbow Room in Ft. Lauderdale when the Bills visited earlier this year. They are definitely the team to beat.

My flight was a little delayed so I landed in Rochester about 5 minutes into the game and got home even later. However, I recorded it so was able to just watch it delayed. Got to say, I could have missed it and been better off...

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, ESCARGO said:

Jamie, It was definitely a great cruise! I am so glad I finally got to meet you! I left the ship at 9:30 am and got home right before 11:00 am! I can't wait to sail with you again! We have to keep in touch. If you still have Ed's business card please email him as I will do and we can stay in touch that way.

Ted

So happy you got home safe! Was thinking about you all day yesterday 

7 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

My flight was a little delayed so I landed in Rochester about 5 minutes into the game and got home even later. However, I recorded it so was able to just watch it delayed. Got to say, I could have missed it and been better off...

It could have been worse.  I had to watch my Cowboys get destroyed by the eagles at Spice H20 on the Getaway.  

Missed my Bengals.  Trying to watch it on my phone was pretty difficult.  But they were already up by 14 as I was boarding.  Paid $8 for WFi on the flight and couldn’t stream anything.  Quick game.  It was over by the time I landed.  We win by 21!

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

@reeinaz @kylenyc @Megp

Just wanted to let you know that Ted @ESCARGO, Ed, and I are all now booked on the first MSC sailing out of Brooklyn on the Meraviglia on April 22.  Would be awesome to have a reunion onboard and try to get as many other solo cruisers to book as we can!

Thanks for the heads up. I will have to take a look!

JamieLogical, As you have never cruised on MSC before, make sure that you are aware of the cultural differences on MSC as regards to the availability of drink packages and the obtaining of alcoholic beverages.

The differences have been a shock to some cruisers who have only cruised on other cruise lines.

7 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

JamieLogical, As you have never cruised on MSC before, make sure that you are aware of the cultural differences on MSC as regards to the availability of drink packages and the obtaining of alcoholic beverages.

The differences have been a shock to some cruisers who have only cruised on other cruise lines.

What does this mean?

It sounds... ominous?  weird? ...??

Thanks!

GC

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Geezer Couple, I am trying to be discreet.

MSC is not a "party" cruise line.  Because of recent problems on short  three-four day cruises, drink packages are no longer available for those cruises .  

The availability of packages on other itineraries will be decided on the characteristics of  that particular sailing.

While the seven day cruise from NYC is more than three-four days, it is the same itinerary as  the cruise line has had problems with (more sea days).

One will find that bars will open later in the morning and the number open will be limited depending on the time of day.    Pours may also be light compared to other cruise lines.

In other words, if one cruises to drink, MSC may not be the best choice.

Let the flaming begin....

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Geezer Couple, I am trying to be discreet.

MSC is not a "party" cruise line.  Because of recent problems on short  three-four day cruises, drink packages are no longer available for those cruises .  

The availability of packages on other itineraries will be decided on the characteristics of  that particular sailing.

While the seven day cruise from NYC is more than three-four days, it is the same itinerary as  the cruise line has had problems with (more sea days).

One will find that bars will open later in the morning and the number open will be limited depending on the time of day.    Pours may also be light compared to other cruise lines.

In other words, if one cruises to drink, MSC may not be the best choice.

Let the flaming begin....

I don't have any flaming...but I am curious as to why you're being discreet? That seems....a bit unnecessary. We're not talking state secrets here. 

What you're basically saying is MSC doesn't want to be the next Carnival since their fares are as cheap as they come, so they limit either the number of drink packages, or the availability to purchase a drink package? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

What you're basically saying is MSC doesn't want to be the next Carnival since their fares are as cheap as they come, so they limit either the number of drink packages, or the availability to purchase a drink package? 

In a nutshell, yes.

I belong to a MSC board located elsewhere on the web, and the alcohol policy on MSC has caused some agita to those cruisers who were unaware of the differences in the on board experience from other cruise lines.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I don't have any flaming...but I am curious as to why you're being discreet? That seems....a bit unnecessary. We're not talking state secrets here. 

I think @Homosassawas trying to be polite in referring to my heavy drinking on cruises... as illustrated by my daily drinks lists. I have done a LOT of research into the drinks package on MSC. For my upcoming sailings in April, I will have the Easy Plus package and I am mentally preparing myself to not have as many options available to me.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, JoeTec said:

Hi Jamie

Are you planning on doing a live review on princess?

I am certainly going to try, but I don't know how well the wifi will work for me and we have very few port days on our itinerary where I can reliably get cell service.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I think @Homosassawas trying to be polite in referring to my heavy drinking on cruises... as illustrated by my daily drinks lists. I have done a LOT of research into the drinks package on MSC. For my upcoming sailings in April, I will have the Easy Plus package and I am mentally preparing myself to not have as many options available to me.

I didn't want you to be disappointed in your MSC cruise.

There are many differences in MSC that cause unprepared cruisers to become upset.

Some examples are change and cancellation policies, what to some people are limited kids programs, recommended dress code, and the cosmopolitan and multicultural composition of the passengers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, njkate said:

Jamie, I'm curious as to what has turned you off on NCL? You cruise a lot and in past has been your go to line

Towards the end of the shutdown, NCL announce their Return to Sea, which including sailings out of two Caribbean ports in order to no longer be beholden to the CDC no sail order. One of those was the Joy out of Montego Bay. After having had several cancelations due to COVID restrictions, my husband and I jumped at the opportunity to book a sailing that NCL swore up and down was certain to sail and not be cancelled. We booked a Haven for the first time and even paid to upgrade my parents to a Haven from a normal balcony. We were incredibly excited. Then, just before those sailings were set to start, Alaska cruising opened up. NCL made a reasonable business decision to cancel the Montego Bay sailings and move the already trained crew from the Joy to the Encore and get some Alaska cruises in before the end of the season. I get that the logistics and money-making prospects were stronger for an Alaska season than sailing out of a foreign home port they had never sailed from before. What bothered me though was that they treated this as a normal COVID cancellation. They offered us no additional compensation and no option to switch our booking to the Encore.

I was incredibly upset because, while I had unfortunately become accustomed to COVID cancellations that were not NCL's fault, this was 100% their decision and they screwed over their most loyal customers who jumped at the opportunity to book their first "sure to happen" sailings. I felt they should have treated us much better than they did.

• Like 4

Hi Jamie. It is exciting that you are trying some different cruise lines. I still enjoy NCL, but have always wanted to go on Meraviglia. I just received an offer from Bally's Twin River for either a Princess or Holland America cruise. I think Princess will be a better fit for me, but have never tried them. I would love to know what you think of them. When is your Princess cruise, and what ship?

• Like 1