TA Cabin Availability

Tedferg

I see cabins available on Princess site but not on Big Box site. I believe I have seen this on other occasions. I have not tried other regular TA. I guess I could book it on Princess and transfer to Big Box right?

Edited by Tedferg

18 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I see cabins available on Princess site but not on Big Box site. I believe I have seen this on other occasions. I have not tried other regular TA. I guess I could book it on Princess and transfer to Big Box right?

We always just call Big Box.  That way they have Princess on the line and can verify in real time what cabins are available.

9 minutes ago, Kenswing said:

We always just call Big Box.  That way they have Princess on the line and can verify in real time what cabins are available.

Please tell me more. I called Big Box and told her which cabin we wanted; I asked her if she could see all Princess available and she could not see it. Are you saying she should contact Princess? Maybe the Big Box rep did not know the procedure.

Separate but related, can you add Princess insurance this way rather than Big Bix insurance.

Tedferg,  which sailing and which cabin?

I don't know if Big Box only offers so many cabins?

Princess seems to have, like, contracts with some companies.

For example, the new Princess Bidding program states that some agencies are not eligible.

Some offer Princess Cruises.  But some might have a limited availability or inventory of  'so many' cabins available.

I think I have seen online agencies, at least one, that does not even pull up Princess at all.

Or, it could be the funky system that we have been talking about, where the 'system' just shows certain cabins available for two guests, for three guests, etc. Seems to just be kind of odd.

If the Big Box does not see this cabin, ask them if you make the booking,  with a same category cabin that they have access to, can they then change your cabin over to the one you like.  Maybe a work-around?

This is all very very confusing!

Edited by Wishing on a star

17 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Please tell me more. I called Big Box and told her which cabin we wanted; I asked her if she could see all Princess available and she could not see it. Are you saying she should contact Princess? Maybe the Big Box rep did not know the procedure.

Separate but related, can you add Princess insurance this way rather than Big Bix insurance.

The way I do it is to go onto Princess site.  Find the cabin I want.  Call Big Box.  They place me on hold and call Princess to book it.

As far as insurance I usually just go with Big Box so can't answer.

Edited by Kenswing
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I would think that any agency that handles Princess SHOULD be able to sell the Princess Insurance.

But, I have no experience.  I just can't imagine why they could or would not.

Several Big Box TAs do not participate in MoveUp  - their choice.  The also can elect not to handle insurance by Princess. 

Why in the heck would you want to deal with that?  There are many reputable TAs that have group space blocked - thus perks included - and will do MoveUp. 

Until final payment date Orincess does not know exactly how many cabins they have left as group blocks are not turned back to the cruiselinecuntil approximately final payment date.

24 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I would think that any agency that handles Princess SHOULD be able to sell the Princess Insurance.

But, I have no experience.  I just can't imagine why they could or would not.

The cruise is Regal, British Isles, June 13th, 2023. We are looking at Deluxe Balcony E411. Only Promenade below so no Obstruction even though priced as Obstructed. Big Box has E401 but that is obstructed compared to E411. 

I booked with Big Box last year and forgot about insurance, Big Box had an insurance option with another company. I was able to call Princess and add insurance, Big Box should have reissued invoice but never did. It was during 2 Hour phone calls to both sites. Worked out but felt messy.

Edited by Tedferg

22 minutes ago, Kenswing said:

The way I do it is to go onto Princess site.  Find the cabin I want.  Call Big Box.  They place me on hold and call Princess to book it.

As far as insurance I usually just go with Big Box so can't answer.

I am sure Big Box insurance is fine.

22 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I'd cut two round holes in the Big Box.  Shine a flashlight into one hole and look in the other and maybe you can see what's inside.

Well, it's an awfully big box and I have short arms.

• Haha 1

In POLAR which travel agents use - they can type in any cabin and if it is available on Princess, they have access and can book it. I believe their system just shows the most central cabins.

I am guessing you are dealing with an inexperienced person.

Yes - you can book it and transfer it.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Do compare Princess, Big Box, and third party insurance.

Especially regarding Covid, or Cancel for any reason, and other coverages.

Thanks. Once we hit 80 third party insurance became very expensive, so we always go with Princess.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Several Big Box TAs do not participate in MoveUp  - their choice.  The also can elect not to handle insurance by Princess. 

Why in the heck would you want to deal with that?  There are many reputable TAs that have group space blocked - thus perks included - and will do MoveUp. 

Until final payment date Orincess does not know exactly how many cabins they have left as group blocks are not turned back to the cruiselinecuntil approximately final payment date.

I have only used Princess, or one Big Box and the tie breaker was a store credit card, worth several hundred dollars. I did try a couple of other large TA's but it seemed I had to call them for a quote, I did not like the interface. Prefer seeing price online and doing a comparison. BTW what is Move-Up?

Edited by Tedferg

28 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I have only used Princess, or one Big Box and the tie breaker was a store credit card, worth several hundred dollars. I did try a couple of other large TA's but it seemed I had to call them for a quote, I did not like the interface. Prefer seeing price online and doing a comparison. BTW what is Move-Up?

The problem is that Princess doesn't allow agents to post discounted prices - thus you have to ask for a quote. Honestly - I prefer agents who discount because the price is off the cost up front. You don't have to wait for a bonus store card.

Move-up deals with bidding and upsells.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

I have observed this as well. Once, I booked what I wanted on Princess site and transferred to Big Box. These days I have been using a Princess Vacation Planner. Most recently she was able to book a Lido Deck cabin for me where none were showing available even on the Princess site. 

Coral nailed it.  The TA’s use OneSource / Polar for booking CCL & Princess.  They are proud of the site but I think it stinks compared to the X/RCL site for TA’s.  

Even when booking something for myself, I find the cabin on the Princess site and before selecting it (which places a temporary hold on the cabin) I book it through Polar.  I think (but not sure)  the PVP’s use Polar as well. 

Reserving on your own than then moving it to a TA before final payment is always fair advice.  An independent TA can nearly always offer you more spiffs than you can get direct or through a PVP.  Some TA’s give spiffs.  Some do not.   Some Princess PVP’s are very good.  Many are terrible.  (Same can be said about the other lines but we’re in the Princess forum).  However a TA can offer you more than a PVP can - it’s whether they want to and the agency allows them to.  

I think booking through the PVP’s is fairly similar to booking all the excursions through the ship or insurance through the cruise line. You’re not getting the best deal or service, but it “feels safer.”  

Edited by Griff4AU
Spell check

@Tedferg We always book through said Big Box. I have found the opposite to be true. Big Box always lists all available cabins and the Princess site is limited by offering a cabin (guaranteed) category. 

Anyway, we have purchased insurance through this TA (it is a third party) and it was super reasonable in cost and fit our situation very well. Insurance needs to be purchased by final payment.

Due to circumstanves, we have also booked with Princess and then transferred into this TA. There is a time limit on that but works nicely.

7 hours ago, Tedferg said:

I booked a cruise this summer & my TA (& the Princess rep she was on the line with) could not see the rooms that I had picked out (I could still see them)...it was so strange