New behavior patterns on Viking Ocean since COVID?

CCWineLover

12 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

I would have been unable to resist walking by and saying "thank you for the access to your brokerage account - nothing like a free cruise!" 🍺🥌

We did comment something similar under our breath as we walked by!

• Like 1

Is it unacceptable to call out the person who is using cell phone speaker?  Many restaurants and doctors offices we go to have the no cell phone signs indicating no talking please.  Even though Viking does not post such signs, it is a universal courtesy.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, katlew said:

".......bikini top under a denim overall, half unbuttoned jeans & a crop top, or shorts that were barely a bathing suit bottom...."

On Viking? Are you sure you weren't on Carnival? It's bad enough seeing at 25 year old like that, but a 70 year old.....

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Is it unacceptable to call out the person who is using cell phone speaker?  Many restaurants and doctors offices we go to have the no cell phone signs indicating no talking please.  Even though Viking does not post such signs, it is a universal courtesy.  

Maybe someone braver than me would have. It does seem like it should be a courtesy everywhere though.

1 hour ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

On Viking? Are you sure you weren't on Carnival? It's bad enough seeing at 25 year old like that, but a 70 year old.....

Oh, she wasn’t 70, though her companion may have been…

AWW, I always feel sad for those who feel they have to put down other cruisers. We've enjoyed fraction of the price, yet SO much fun and excitement in younger days!  Speaking from over 30 years of twice yearly, mainstream cruises; some fantastic, all great - now older; 5 VO cruises.  Just not into this; we met wonderful friends through the years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rudychance said:

AWW, I always feel sad for those who feel they have to put down other cruisers. We've enjoyed fraction of the price, yet SO much fun and excitement in younger days!  Speaking from over 30 years of twice yearly, mainstream cruises; some fantastic, all great - now older; 5 VO cruises.  Just not into this; we met wonderful friends through the years. 

Thanks for the thoughtful response!

Agree with you 💯

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 6:16 PM, katlew said:

There was one rude behavior that drove us crazy though, taking cellphone calls on speaker! 

This seems to be everywhere, and increasing.  I've seen it on the train, in the airport, on the airplane before pushback, and even in the hospital waiting room, despite the no cell phone signage.  I was in Target ahead of my last trip wheeling towards the pharmacy to grab some cough drops and could hear a big commotion in the middle aisles.  Rounding the corner I saw that it was two different people on their speaker phones in the cold & flu aisle at the same time.  It was, in essence, four people shouting about their ailments and the products they wanted.  

On Octantis recently a gentleman walked past us on his way back to the buffet with his plate.  He raised it to his face, and began licking it.  I guess he wanted it nice and clean for his reload.  

People are just people I guess.  I don't think it's Viking or any cruisers really, I just think that we've been emerging back out into the world finally and had forgotten how annoying other people can be sometimes.  

• Like 6

On 1/11/2023 at 12:34 PM, rudychance said:

Thankfully these boards are not a reflection of the vast majority of passenger's attitudes towards others who don't fit their view of the world as very few passengers even know about CC.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, tocruiseguy said:

Thankfully these boards are not a reflection of the vast majority of passenger's attitudes towards others who don't fit their view of the world as very few passengers even know about CC.  

I don't think any of this discussion has to do with attitudes towards people who don't fit THEIR view of the world.  I think it has to do with behaviors that have not normally been associated with human behavior and interactions with each other, throughout the years.  And it doesn't apply to just CC people - it is just a fact of this day in the world where common courtesy, respect for others, and unselfishness have begun to disappear.  I'm not understanding why this disappearance is a good thing.  At some point human being's "right" to do whatever they want to in the world, regardless of anyone else in it, is bound to cause some friction among most people.

I suggest we put this topic to bed, give it a rest, and let all parties nicely agree to disagree.  Let's move on!

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Let's move on!

But you started the thread.  And I apologize to everyone on this board, but I just have to finally ask, especially if we're moving on, would you rather sit beside someone with their feet on the cocktail table or someone who takes a photo of your feet?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tocruiseguy said:

If rude and churlish behaviours demonstrated to crew don’t fit my view of the world then I’m fine with that. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pushka said:

If rude and churlish behaviours demonstrated to crew don’t fit my view of the world then I’m fine with that. 

You're absolutely right, rude and churlish behaviours demonstrated towards crew should never be tolerated.

We have taken several cruises on Viking.  I have never taken a cruise where I saw anyone taking pictures of other people's feet.  To me that is a new behaviour pattern on Viking.  

Edited by millybess
m
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, millybess said:

We have taken several cruises on Viking.  I have never taken a cruise where I saw anyone taking pictures of other people's feet.  To me that is a new behaviour pattern on Viking.

On your cruises, did you ever see anyone put bare feet on a table used for food? Genuine question. We never have. (Thankfully.) 

This thread poses an interesting dilemma. Just what is the best response to seeing bad or thoughtless behavior? Kvetching about it on social media can feel good, but it probably doesn’t change anything. Is there a kind yet effective approach that others have discovered? (Emphasis on kind.) If so, I’d love to hear about it. 

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

I don't think any of this discussion has to do with attitudes towards people who don't fit THEIR view of the world.  I think it has to do with behaviors that have not normally been associated with human behavior and interactions with each other, throughout the years.  And it doesn't apply to just CC people - it is just a fact of this day in the world where common courtesy, respect for others, and unselfishness have begun to disappear.  I'm not understanding why this disappearance is a good thing.  At some point human being's "right" to do whatever they want to in the world, regardless of anyone else in it, is bound to cause some friction among most people.

I suggest we put this topic to bed, give it a rest, and let all parties nicely agree to disagree.  Let's move on!

The issue was someone stereotyping passengers on another cruise line. 

14 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

On your cruises, did you ever see anyone put bare feet on a table used for food? Genuine question. We never have. (Thankfully.) 

This thread poses an interesting dilemma. Just what is the best response to seeing bad or thoughtless behavior? Kvetching about it on social media can feel good, but it probably doesn’t change anything. Is there a kind yet effective approach that others have discovered? (Emphasis on kind.) If so, I’d love to hear about it. 

I haven't noticed anyone with their feet on a drinks table.  But more thankfully I haven't noticed a man taking pictures of people's feet, including my own.

When this thread was first posted on November 3, silently I questioned which was worse:  the feet on the table or, I assume, the surreptitious photos of feet.  For me, it was, which event brought on more of an ewwww factor.  The answer will be different for each of us.  

But on future cruises I'll be watching for the photographer of feet and will try to hide my bunion(s) 🥺

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Were they asked to leave and dress properly?

No, they stayed a few minutes, sat down, and then left. Their significant others were dress up looking like they were heading to a nightclub but wearing goofy hats, sort of mocking high tea and the English. I got the feeling the men were being passive aggressive.

BTW I heard them talk. There were Americans.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

7 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

No, they stayed a few minutes, sat down, and then left. Their significant others were dress up looking like they were heading to a nightclub but wearing goofy hats, sort of mocking high tea and the English. I got the feeling the men were being passive aggressive.

BTW I heard them talk. There were Americans.

How full is your cruise? Hope you can stay far away from these boorish fools.I enjoy your posts here  on this forum. 

My next cruise in June is basically sold out , so with a full ship  I will be able to ignore the few who always complain etc . They are on every cruise .  

• Like 3

On 11/5/2022 at 6:01 PM, Liz Masterson said:

Well here’s more fodder for the PJ bottom debate. 
I always make sure I have this kind of bottom in my carry on with a nice top to go with them. In a pinch they are nice enough for dinner in the dining room, and if you need pajamas they work too! 

I may regret posting this if any of ya’ll call me out in the dining room one evening! 

https://shop.pbs.org/HZ9337.html?p=1&OP1=TQ&OP2=L&websource=PBSGOOGLE7&source_code=PBSGOOGLE7&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&coupon_code=PBSGS21&websource=PBSGOOGLE76&source_code=PBSGOOGLE76&gclid=Cj0KCQjwk5ibBhDqARIsACzmgLR9dvy_7Z7xUa0KdM0c708oqu8FtjLDQyAtJS18RcgOVDqouM8Lfr0aAjLjEALw_wcB#gallery-1

D0285734-2DE6-4591-B664-82CB64BE17F1.jpeg

Thanks. I immediately ordered 2 pair! Super cute. We can wear them to the World Cafe together. Safety in numbers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4