NEW to Medallion App - Ordering a Beverage Before Arriving to Dining Room?

shirazcruiser

This will be our 1st Princess cruise with the Medallion app and I would appreciate any advice.  I've read that sometimes it can take a while to have an alcohol beverage delivered when you order in the dining room and that waiters don't take alcohol orders.  Can I order a glass of wine from my cabin to be delivered to my dining room prior to arrival?  When you order a drink from the dining room, does the app asks for your table number?  We'll be dining in Club Class with no regular dining assignment.  

As far as I know, you would need to be physically with your medallion for the delivery. It is a locating device. Just order room service to your room while you are getting ready for dinner. It usually took about 5-10 minutes, but there is no way to tell how long the wait might be.

Better yet, stop in at a bar by your dining room before you enter the dining room. That is what we usually did.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

We'll be dining in Club Class with no regular dining assignment.  

In my experience in CC dining the service is so quick that you will not need to use the app. Order your drinks when you are given your menu, and you will get it almost immediately. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the responses!

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

In my experience in CC dining the service is so quick that you will not need to use the app. Order your drinks when you are given your menu, and you will get it almost immediately. 

So I can order my drink from the waiter since you said I will not need to use the app?   Thanks for responding

Personally, it is a MUCH shorter wait time to swing by the bar; like Good Spirits and then go to the dining room.

It always took much longer for a glass of wine if I ordered it in the dining room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

So I can order my drink from the waiter since you said I will not need to use the app?   Thanks for responding

Correct !

But no problem taking a  glass in with you from a nearby bar, if you want to.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nini said:

Personally, it is a MUCH shorter wait time to swing by the bar; like Good Spirits and then go to the dining room.

It always took much longer for a glass of wine if I ordered it in the dining room.

But the OP has cc dining, so much faster service.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

This will be our 1st Princess cruise with the Medallion app and I would appreciate any advice.  I've read that sometimes it can take a while to have an alcohol beverage delivered when you order in the dining room and that waiters don't take alcohol orders. 

Where ever you read that waiters don't take alcohol orders has steered you wrong.

Waiters and assistants do so.

If you have traditional dining, they may have your drink ready when you arrvie..

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Standard procedure for us was always sit, look at wine list, order from our own waiter, get the bottle pretty fast and then leave any leftover with the waiter to get at our next dinner.  Traditional dining...  Sigh...  On the Majestic after the pause, we tried to do this, but like everything else on that cruise, it was a nightmare.  Different waiter every night who had no clue what we were talking about.  Our solution was to drink the whole bottle at one sitting.  Getting a glass to carry in to the MDR was not an option for me.  The lines were long and the dining foyers were packed with jostling guests.  Club Class this time, so I'm hoping it will work out.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

If you have a drink package other than being convenient why would one consider buying a bottle of wine?

In the olden days, we didn't have a drink package.  Now, DH is not thrilled with the by-the-glass selection.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

How about ordering a bottle in a bar,  and carrying the bottle into the MDR? 

Because it is hard to operate my wheelchair when I have a bottle of wine in my hand.  You ask the strangest question sometimes.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

yes, the waiter or usually the jr waiter will take your drink orders, I don't believe you can get deliver through the app in the dining rooms (what you can order changes based on your location)

2 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

yes, the waiter or usually the jr waiter will take your drink orders, I don't believe you can get deliver through the app in the dining rooms (what you can order changes based on your location)

If you order with the app, when it is time to deliver they see where you (really your Medallion) is and that is where they deliver the beverage.

So, if you order via  the app when you are not in the dining room but are in the dining room when they are ready to deliver the beverage, will they still deliver it to you?

15 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Where ever you read that waiters don't take alcohol orders has steered you wrong.

Waiters and assistants do so.

If you have traditional dining, they may have your drink ready when you arrvie..

Its no longer 'officially traditional dining,' its just same table / same wait staff / same time. Cannot be arranged in the app, must be arranged with the HW in the respective dining room (not available in MDR midship deck 6)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Which no longer exists! 

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Its no longer 'officially traditional dining,' its just same table / same wait staff / same time. Cannot be arranged in the app, must be arranged with the HW in the respective dining room (not available in MDR midship deck 6)

Mr. Ombud ... thank you for clarifying what apparently Mr. wow meant.

Your post is much more useful to the original poster.

As the original poster has cc dining, it is very likely that they will 'know' their wait staff, and can arrive

at a particular time every night ... if they so choose.

Edited by Roberto256
  • Like 3

Supposedly the bar which processes your order is determined by the location you are at when you place the order.  So if you order when you are at Crooners, the server will have a much longer walk to deliver the drink to the MDR.  

Out of two orders I have placed using the Medallion App, zero have been delivered.  I always place my orders directly with a bartender or waiter.

On 11/5/2022 at 10:00 AM, Mike45LC said:

Out of two orders I have placed using the Medallion App, zero have been delivered.

Made 3 attempts to get a cappuccino on deck 5 of Piazza. First two got canceled, even though I didn’t remember canceling them. 

Third attempt was masterminded by @abbydancerwho has more experience with the medallion than I do. The difference was, she caused the app to move to a different screen after the order, whereas I clicked the submit button and let it sit on the same screen. The third order was delivered.

I don’t think it SHOULD have cancelled my first two attempts, but I will be more careful based on this experience.