An Adventure on The Voyager

DeepFreeze63

Cruise going GREAT!

CD John is very good organizer and very, very affable. Super directing Trivia - a packed house in Observation Lounge.

Had Voyager's first Formal Optional night yesterday - very well attended. I saw about 6 white dinner jackets and about a dozen tuxes; almost everyone else was in sport coats with maybe a third wearing ties.

English female vocalist on second night sang Dusty Springfield, Barbara Striesand (sp), Judy Garland etc. - a WOW for DW and I. Last night was first Production Cast show - high energy, great scenery, super choreography but voice quality was mixed. Tough performing songs of the great artist of our youth!

Internet - SLOW.

• Like 3

Our cruise continues as a Very Good (except for internet) to Great experience for DW and I.

2nd night of female vocalist and 1st night of British/Israeli tenor were both WOWs for us. Some barrel chairs being removed from theater; makes for easier and more efficient seating.

Trivia being held in OL at 10 AM on sea days - controversial as this conflicts with a lecturer! Yesterday's winners had 15/15 with several 2nds doing 14/15. Today, several had16/16 and questions were not "trivial"!

52 minutes ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

Our cruise continues as a Very Good (except for internet) to Great experience for DW and I.

2nd night of female vocalist and 1st night of British/Israeli tenor were both WOWs for us. Some barrel chairs being removed from theater; makes for easier and more efficient seating.

Trivia being held in OL at 10 AM on sea days - controversial as this conflicts with a lecturer! Yesterday's winners had 15/15 with several 2nds doing 14/15. Today, several had16/16 and questions were not "trivial"!

I much prefer trivia at 5. We would get a pre dinner drink, learn how much we didn’t know, go change at 6…😀

1 hour ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time.   One of these days we'll have better internet onboard Regent, and it will fall into line with all the other great offerings.

Continue to enjoy!

Yes, great time continues. Last night, Chris Hamilton "Piano Showman" performed - another wow for us. Tonight, it's a magician, we'll see.

Trivia back at 4:30 every day, even on sea days.

Haven't heard yet how many on board but I'm sure it's a big number. Cruise Consultant maintains that the Grandeur is on schedule.

Block Party held last night - great fun. The tenor and the "piano showman" are in Cabin 713, our neighbors. Staff Captain ran the route in lieu of the Captain,

Off now for a full sea day.

• Like 2

The "adventures" continue; Dakar was just cancelled - an extra day in Cape Verde was added.

Other notables:

newspapers are not yet back in the library,

dinners with passengers are allowed for "non-licensed" staff,

Voyager's computer room is spacious with 11 computers, 2 printers, and desk area for personal devices - Nice.

• Like 1

Hi DeepFreeze - following along with interest as we’re on this trip in Nov 2023.  We were wondering if you have any local currency for the African ports or will you be using US dollars?

Disappointing about Dakar but hope you make the rest of the African countries.

Thanks for the updates.

On 11/17/2022 at 3:20 AM, DeepFreeze63 said:

...Trivia being held in OL at 10 AM on sea days - controversial as this conflicts with a lecturer! Yesterday's winners had 15/15 with several 2nds doing 14/15. Today, several had16/16 and questions were not "trivial"!

And who says the Internet doesn't work well... 😄

• Haha 1

On 11/15/2022 at 6:08 AM, DeepFreeze63 said:

Yes, as noted by Turn8A. Maitre'd La Verandah said "but only periodically".

On our recent B2B cruises on Splendor cronuts  were available almost every day. We preferred the strawberry filled cronuts, but after the first week, they only had other varieties.

Our 2 stops in the Canary Islands were beautiful, interesting places. Cape Verde is relatively clean and neat with bright colored buildings but not very interesting. Saturday morning fish market in Minelo was fascinating for a short visit.

The magician/humorist last evening was fabulous!

CC said we have 638 guests aboard; the Voyager handles this number well. The passengers that we have met are well-traveled (but not necessarily with Regent) and very affable; makes for very enjoyable dinners (we always share dinner tables). 

We have been having a "civilized" breakfast often in CR. Extensive menu and attentive service but leisurely.

• Like 1

Jim, what are you going to do on your second day in Cabo Verde?  Do you know if you will be crossing the equator at the Primer Meridian?  Null Island?  Since I am a geography junkie I think that would be the highlight of the trip for me.

Also, you mentioned earlier that Grandeur was on schedule according to CC.  Just learned that one of the NCL new builds has been delayed due to "supply chain issues;" any rumbling of Grandeur facing the same fate?  Almost time to choose excursions and, more importantly, air; beginning to get curious.

• Like 1

Entertainment continues to be terrific! last night's show was Piano Showman and the quest tenor collaboration - they got a standing ovation.

Reference to a question - John E the CD departs soon to do the world cruise on the Mariner preceded by a vacation.

2nd stop in Cape Verde was BORING. Praia is the capitol and the biggest city of the 10 islands. Again, relatively clean and neat with bright colored buildings. BUT, on a Sunday morning everything but churches are closed - even the souvenir shops!

On 11/19/2022 at 10:47 AM, mrlevin said:

Jim, what are you going to do on your second day in Cabo Verde?  Do you know if you will be crossing the equator at the Primer Meridian?  Null Island?  Since I am a geography junkie I think that would be the highlight of the trip for me.

Also, you mentioned earlier that Grandeur was on schedule according to CC.  Just learned that one of the NCL new builds has been delayed due to "supply chain issues;" any rumbling of Grandeur facing the same fate?  Almost time to choose excursions and, more importantly, air; beginning to get curious.

Navigation Officer says we will pass about 300 miles from Null Island. GM says that we will have an on-deck celebration when we pass the Equator several of the Production Cast have never sailed across the Equator - they get to kiss the BIG fish!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

Correction to earlier post: CD John E. is on board for last 2 months of the World Cruise; Paul ? does the 1st two months. The husband/wife team, who had been CD & Social Hostess on WCs retired. 

I'm surprised to hear that Andy and Tammie retired; this past September was first time that I have ever sailed with them and I truly enjoyed how they led the entertainment department.  They are only in their 40s; must be nice to retire so young.  

Too bad about Null Island.

Marc

PS Hopefully Margaret replaces John on Voyager.

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

I'm surprised to hear that Andy and Tammie retired; this past September was first time that I have ever sailed with them and I truly enjoyed how they led the entertainment department.  They are only in their 40s; must be nice to retire so young.  

Too bad about Null Island.

Marc

PS Hopefully Margaret replaces John on Voyager.

I think the reference was to Jamie and Dana Logan who retired.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

Correction to earlier post: CD John E. is on board for last 2 months of the World Cruise; Paul ? does the 1st two months. The husband/wife team, who had been CD & Social Hostess on WCs retired. 

Thank you, I asked about John E. 

If he is leaving soon is there any information on who is replacing him? 

Will be sorry to miss him.