Sailing on Regal - Which MDR for 700+ person group set dining time.

Tonsoffun44

My guess would be the aft deck 6 dining room on any Grand or Royal class ship. .

It would be the easiest one to close off for a private charter group.

On Island or Coral, that's tougher as there's only the two dining rooms..

On Sapphire or Diamond, likely the aft dining room, as it's larger than the other 4, and easy to close off for private event.. 

Assuming this is an actual intact group that's expected to be dining same time, essentially.. 

If the group isn't expected to dine altogether, then it'll be wherever you choose in the app or walk-up when you're ready.  

However, and I mean this sincerely, absolutely no one here knows. The ship will be working with your group coordinator to arrange all that - why not ask them? Although, it's very possible it hasn't been arranged as yet..  

And, this is pure curiosity - why does it matter? If you're all eating as a group in the MDR, does it make any difference to know that know versus when you board? The reservation would be set already.. it's not like you'd be able to then change the entire group reservation if you didn't like the dining room for some reason.. 

Good luck and enjoy.. 

Edited by reedprincess
  • Like 3

I am going to say it is maybe Jan. 29th.

Even on large group cruises, I don't know if I have heard of them reserving a dining room for the cruise.  Everybody could be free to make their own dining arrangements.  Even if there are a lot of planned events.

The person to ask is probably the person in charge of arranging the group.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tonsoffun44 said:

Traveling with a large group 700+ people - which main dining room should we expect to be put in for set dining time?? 

There is no set dining time on Princess.  I would expect you to know that if you and your 699 friends have already booked.  I would also expect the cruise line to be working with you, suggesting dining venues and times.  I find it curious you have opened a thread here on CC to ask a question you should be asking the cruise line. 

Edited by Kay S
  • Like 2

It looks like this is may  be the link to the group arranging your cruise. If so, you should contact them for information regarding what dining arrangements if any have been planned.

https://www.cruiseofirishstars.com/

if not your group, then it’s best to contact whoever is handling your groups arrangements as they are in the best position to answer your question.

Edited by Shelly97060
Found info on web that seemed more relevant then my original post
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 2:16 PM, Tonsoffun44 said:

Traveling with a large group 700+ people - which main dining room should we expect to be put in for set dining time?? 

We’ll good luck with getting 700 people to agree on a time to eat dinner or anything else. Some people may want to go to specialty dining ,some people may want the buffet , some may be too tired from shore excursions to eat dinner,etc.

so I seriously doubt 700 of you are going to be in the same dining room at the same time, that would be a logistical nightmare .

Like others have said probably best to ask whoever is your travel coordinator that booked the 700 of you .

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 3:59 PM, Wishing on a star said:

I am going to say it is maybe Jan. 29th.

Even on large group cruises, I don't know if I have heard of them reserving a dining room for the cruise.  Everybody could be free to make their own dining arrangements.  Even if there are a lot of planned events.

The person to ask is probably the person in charge of arranging the group.

Just curious, why do you think it is Jan 29th?

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

That group will take over the ship and make the cruise miserable for everyone else on board.  Everyone else on that cruise  who is not on the group should cancel if at all possible.

DON

the group is only twenty percent of total passengers

why should

the other 80% cancel?

29 minutes ago, that said:

the group is only twenty percent of total passengers

why should

the other 80% cancel?

What public spaces which should be available to all the passengers will be reserved for just the group of 700.  If I pay for a cruise I don't want to be denied usage of any area of the ship.  Perhaps people who have booked on a ship where a large group of passengers also booked can respond.  Would the people who have been subjected to large group booked cruises like to respond?

DON

• Thanks 1

Because, even though Princess doesn't usually even consider to try to seat a group of 700 people, groups like this cause very significant disruptions with the events and the venues that they do take over.  Venues are often 'closed' to accomodate that group.  And, any group of that size that tries to navigate around as a whole,  let's say, hitting the pool deck after the mornings planned event, causes very real problems.

There is a very real thing as 'group think', and 'pack mentality'.

Some of us have seen this before.

Believe me, if you have ever seen this, you know it.

We have been to adults only, couples oriented, resorts that actually refuse to do anything to handle groups of more than eight.   One night, we were dining, having a very nice meal, and a group of about 16 all trouped by, like a heard of hyenas, talking and carrying on at the top of their voices to talk over one another.   The staff politely refused to be able to sit them, and then, again, as a 'group', they paraded right back past our table.  

Many people know to try to avoid cruises or resorts that are hosting such a huge group.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

No, not Polka...  Seems to be Irish musicians and entertainers. 

Check out the link somebody posted earlier.

I am not sure whether this cruise is billed as an Irish Entertainment cruise for all onboard, or if most of the actual performances will be for those booked with the group only.

Those with the group should be receiving some kind of schedule of events, from entertainment shows, meet and greets, etc.  I certainly would not think that this will involve taking over an entire dining room for a group dinner.  If this were the case, those who are booked would have the info about when and where.

5 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

No, not Polka...  Seems to be Irish musicians and entertainers. 

Check out the link somebody posted earlier.

I am not sure whether this cruise is billed as an Irish Entertainment cruise for all onboard, or if most of the actual performances will be for those booked with the group only.

Those with the group should be receiving some kind of schedule of events, from entertainment shows, meet and greets, etc.  I certainly would not think that this will involve taking over an entire dining room for a group dinner.  If this were the case, those who are booked would have the info about when and where.

The info on the Irish group said that all the entertainment was for their group only. For this it would make complete sense to have an entire dining room so there could be entertainment with dinner. I suspect the OP was the organizer and is getting the info together.

Yes, that appears to be true.  There is no mention of this Irish theme on the cruise on the Princess web-site.  So, yes this appears to be a private group.

I would imagine that these group events would be set up in the Vista Lounge, in the Theater, at Princess Live.  That kind of thing.  With people showing that that are with this group to get in.

If they wanted a whole catered meal,  Maybe Irish foods, maybe like the Pub Lunch, for this group, with hosts and maybe entertainmant, I could see this happening as a luncheon in one of the Dining rooms that is not open for lunch.  I believe that usually one of the mid-ship main dining rooms off the Piazza is open for lunch service, for all passengers, on embarkation day and on sea days. 

• Like 1