Warning for New Caledonia bound cruisers

Have just received an email from Carnival regarding enhanced rules for mask wearing aboard our imminent cruise [not to the South Pacific], and the email contained the following very important notice for those travelling to New Caledonia:

NOTE:  Guests traveling on a South Pacific cruise that calls on New Caledonia (Noumea or Lifou) must present printed proof of travel insurance at time of check-in.  The selected international travel insurance must have both cruise and COVID coverage.  Guests may also be requested to present it during the cruise. Any guest who is unable to provide proof of holding suitable travel insurance will be denied boarding.

55 minutes ago, cruisermsoon said:

Have just received an email from Carnival regarding enhanced rules for mask wearing aboard our imminent cruise [not to the South Pacific], and the email contained the following very important notice for those travelling to New Caledonia:

NOTE:  Guests traveling on a South Pacific cruise that calls on New Caledonia (Noumea or Lifou) must present printed proof of travel insurance at time of check-in.  The selected international travel insurance must have both cruise and COVID coverage.  Guests may also be requested to present it during the cruise. Any guest who is unable to provide proof of holding suitable travel insurance will be denied boarding.

I think it’s always been required to have travel insurance in New Caledonia.

Not that it’s been enforced.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tripmode33 said:

Our email stressed that insurance requirements you mention are for both Fiji and New Caledonia. If you are unable to provide proof of insurance cover, you will be denied boarding.

Perhaps they plan to start enforcing it!

The key point - International cruise coverage must have cruise and Covid-19 coverage.  When I phoned around for travel insurance on an Australian cruise this year not all insurance companies offered Covid-19 coverage.  I was paranoid that I would catch covid before I boarded the ship in Cairns.  It really put a damper on my cruise, because I couldn't go shopping for summer clothes in Cairns as I normally would have cruising to Darwin.  Does anyone know of an insurance company which offers both in their travel insurance policies to seniors over say 75? 

The cynic in me wonders if Carnival are about to have a special offer on insurance cover!!!! 

Going to have a look at my Westpac Credit Card included travel insurance though (expect most big bank issued card will be the same), pretty sure it now includes COVID but does have some restrictions and exemptions to that but I’m pretty sure it’s along the lines of not following official travel advice etc

27 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The key point - International cruise coverage must have cruise and Covid-19 coverage.  When I phoned around for travel insurance on an Australian cruise this year not all insurance companies offered Covid-19 coverage.  I was paranoid that I would catch covid before I boarded the ship in Cairns.  It really put a damper on my cruise, because I couldn't go shopping for summer clothes in Cairns as I normally would have cruising to Darwin.  Does anyone know of an insurance company which offers both in their travel insurance policies to seniors over say 75? 

The complimentary travel insurance available with some credit cards covers both cruising and COVID. You just have to pay a certain amount of the travel cost on the card. This is $250 with ANZ and $500 with one of the other banks. This type of insurance could work for you if you don't have serious pre-existing conditions. Minor pre-existing can be covered after payment of a small amount ($70 for ANZ) for a phone consultation.

We were just there a week ago on Hal and there was never a question of travelers insurance. Our CD mentioned it and said another Hal ship had been there just ahead of us without issues. 
    No one asked us for anything and it was never mentioned. 

2 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

Our email stressed that insurance requirements you mention are for both Fiji and New Caledonia. If you are unable to provide proof of insurance cover, you will be denied boarding.

Perhaps they plan to start enforcing it!

And so they should enforce it, no insurance no cruise 🚢!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The complimentary travel insurance available with some credit cards covers both cruising and COVID. You just have to pay a certain amount of the travel cost on the card. This is $250 with ANZ and $500 with one of the other banks. This type of insurance could work for you if you don't have serious pre-existing conditions. Minor pre-existing can be covered after payment of a small amount ($70 for ANZ) for a phone consultation.

I use my ANZ card to take advantage of the travel insurance, but you don’t actually get a formal policy. How are we meant to prove we have insurance? 

39 minutes ago, Jandex said:

I use my ANZ card to take advantage of the travel insurance, but you don’t actually get a formal policy. How are we meant to prove we have insurance? 

We used our CBA cc insurance a number of times for OS travel, including cruises. We were able to download a certificate for the insurance to show as required 

14 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Covermore should do it. But it won't be cheap!

9 hours ago, Jandex said:

Go to your card's website and look for a link where you can download a copy of policy. You may have to input your card and client number. I've had to do that (NAB Visa) for O/S cruises and tours. Sometimes you have to show the copy and policy number, sometimes you don't.

9 hours ago, Jandex said:

We also use the ANZ card. You can get printed confirmation from Allianz that you are covered under their insurance. We also carry a copy of the pds with us so we know exactly what is covered.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jandex said:

we use HSBC  I have a complete download of their Allianz policy and take that with me everywhere

Edited by windsor26

23 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Marion, we've just taken out travel insurance with NRMA for our January Cunard cruise to NZ and Tassie.  It's not cheap, believe me, but it was the best price we could find, and it covers Covid.  I turned 74 this week, and Mario is 78.  No problem with our ages.

• Like 1

In the UK, Cunard required all UK citizens to have travel insurance before boarding their vessels.  That doesn't apply if you book Cunard here in Australia.  Not sure about other countries.  Cunard is, of course, owned by Carnival now.

21 hours ago, Jandex said:

With ANZ in New Zealand I could go online to find out if we qualified for covid insurance. Once I got confirmation I emailed ANZ and requested proof - they emailed back with a covid cover insurance certificate and the full policy.

I will be doing this again for our next cruise in 8 weeks time. 

19 minutes ago, Fortunatefew said:

With ANZ in New Zealand I could go online to find out if we qualified for covid insurance. Once I got confirmation I emailed ANZ and requested proof - they emailed back with a covid cover insurance certificate and the full policy.

I will be doing this again for our next cruise in 8 weeks time. 

The pds brochure for ANZ Aust travel insurance specifically states that it covers COVID related claims.

22 hours ago, Jandex said:

If you trawl through the ANZ site looking for TA, there will be a link to the information and a download to show it is valid. It can sometimes take a bit of digging though.

EDIT - sorry didn't see that info had been posted above 

Edited by Aussieflyer

On 11/17/2022 at 9:33 PM, Jandex said:

I am with ANZ in AU as well, there is a number on their website that takes you to Allianz (supplier) who will issue you a formal statement saying you are covered for Covid and cruising as long as you meet ANZ conditions (age and expenditure etc) and follow government advice etc etc

Edited by P&T
spelling