Tips on protecting valuables when in port/beach/excursion?

NJRonbo

So, if I am understanding correctly, I can bring a scanned copy of my passport or Drivers License while in port, leaving the originals in the safe.

My other concerns...

1. When in port, I would think everyone likes to bring their phone to take photos,.  But what do you do with that phone when at the beach and you decide to go swimming?  How can you protect it from theft?  My first guess would be a wearable waterproof protector.

2. Same scenario as above when swimming.  How do you protect your beach bag and whatever is inside from being stolen?  Is this even an issue to be concerned about?

Any other tips some experienced cruisers may have would be appreciated.

Edited by NJRonbo

• NJRonbo changed the title to Tips on protecting valuables when in port/beach/excursion?
14 minutes ago, NJRonbo said:

So, if I am understanding correctly, I can bring a scanned copy of my passport or Drivers License while in port, leaving the originals in the safe.

My other concerns...

1. When in port, I would think everyone likes to bring their phone to take photos,.  But what do you do with that phone when at the beach and you decide to go swimming?  How can you protect it from theft?  My first guess would be a wearable waterproof protector.

2. Same scenario as above when swimming.  How do you protect your beach bag and whatever is inside from being stolen?  Is this even an issue to be concerned about?

these are all issues even when not cruising. Thieves love beaches

1 minute ago, gold1953 said:

these are all issues even when not cruising. Thieves love beaches

True.  However, this is a cruise forum and I generally don't go to foreign beaches with my iPhone unless I am arriving by ship or otherwise.

Just looking to see how some cruisers are protecting their valuables.

Thanks for the help

• Like 2

Just now, NJRonbo said:

True.  However, this is a cruise forum and I generally don't go to foreign beaches with my iPhone unless I am arriving by ship or otherwise.

Just looking to see how some cruisers are protecting their valuables.

Thanks for the help

we ear our phones around our neck. We have great waterproof cases with comfortable neck straps

• Like 5

Be aware of anyone that approaches you to sell something. 

We were waiting in a bar patio at a resort in Mexico waiting to check in.  We were having a drink at a table that was next to the beach.   Our friend took off his shoes and walked in the sand to the water.  While he was away we were approached by a hawk trying to sell us a timeshare.     

Our friend came back and couldn’t find his shoes.   Apparently when the person was standing next to our table he slipped his feet into the shoes and then walked away with them. 

The thieves are pros and know all the tricks to take sometime while you are looking at them. They are like the illusionists.  They can make stuff disappear in front of you.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1

I have an earlier version of the SafeGo safe and love it!  I lock it to two beach chairs or some other unmoveable item, like a grounded pole that would take a long time to dig out unnoticed.   I carry my phone in a waterproof waist bag.  It has three different ziplocs that are fastened after folding the bag closed.  

In port (and even on the ship) carry your cross body purse in front of you with a hand on it.  NEVER hang your purse over the back of a chair when dining.  

Hope these tips are helpful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dunedinmaiden said:

One last note -- it's not too large.  We've put two cell phones, credit cards and some cash in ours.

That's large enough for the essentials.  Thanks again for sharing.  It has overwhelmingly positive reviews on Amazon.

• Like 1

I use this beach bag: https://www.kyssbag.com/product-page/large-kyss-ii-bag

It is 100% not theft proof, bolt cutter can easily cut through the chain I'm sure. I think the hope is that a thief wants to take easy things and not make a scene, so they would probably just go to the next bag. I like that it's large, because it's just my bag for the day. Fits a towel, 4 celebrity water bottles, sunscreen, etc.  

Most of the time, I just roll with CASH, my ID and one Credit Card....I can find pictures of everywhere I went online....and my memory is still pretty good.  

I do have a very inexpensive digital camera that I take sometimes...if I lose it, big deal.  You can get them now for well under $100.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

This is a great reason why Celebrity could really use a proprietary beach resort option for some of its itineraries in the Caribbean.  A private beach / Island, with lockers, controlled access, etc., would reduce the potential for being accosted or robbed by locals.  Costa Maya was overrun with stray dogs, people of all ages soliciting, and generally not on par with the on-ship resort experience.  

When we go to beaches it’s generally on a Celebrity excursion and you’ll end up sitting exclusively with fellow passengers. We just ask those sat by us to watch our gear and do the same in return. Obviously useless advice if you are there independently and don’t trust those around you in which case I’d choose not to swim far at all.

Interesting.  I have a mini waterproof bag that will hold my phone, a credit card (I never take cash with me) and a copy of my passport.  It fits in a pocket on my swimsuit.

We also usually take a flip phone on cruises as I tend to lose them.  Pictures are just ok but really don't care if I lose.

In Puerto Rico thieves look for items cabled to chairs etc assuming if it is secured it is valuable - duh.  They simply cut the cable.  I haveca rotozip at home will cut through a 1/2" cable in seconds, fits in my pocket, is battery powered and cost under $20.

6 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

When we go to beaches it’s generally on a Celebrity excursion and you’ll end up sitting exclusively with fellow passengers. We just ask those sat by us to watch our gear and do the same in return. Obviously useless advice if you are there independently and don’t trust those around you in which case I’d choose not to swim far at all.

Agree with your thoughts except locals are always around except at a ship owned private beach.  Just don't take expensive items on shore.  No different in the US!  Also don't be paranoid as theft is very very small even in places like Jamacia or Haiti for those that use common sense.  While you will look like tourists; don't wear expensive jewelry (best none!) or watches.  Don't wear a lanyard.  You need very little on shore.

The issue is the same on shore with snatch and grab thieves that will grab necklaces, purses and lanyards on the streets.  Argentina, Italy, all the Caribbean and Mexico/Central America are hot spots for this activity.

I use Pacsafe Exomesh.  You can put an entire beach bag inside it, and then attached it to a beach chair, or around a tree or any immovable object.  

Anti-theft Safe | Pacsafe 55L in Neutral by Pacsafe - Pacsafe – Official North America Store

It packs up pretty small. The attached photos are mine.

IMG_1991.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

2 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

My other concerns...

You can bring a copy of your passport while in port, but I never found any use for it when I did, so after a couple of tries, I stopped.  I don't think a scanned copy of your DL/photo ID would work for getting back on the ship should the authorities require that.  YMMV.

I'm not a swimmer and I'm not a beach person, so I can't help you there.  I do my best to bring as few valuables as practicable in port or on vacation in general.

Having done this for decades we have a few simple rules.  Do not take any valuables off the ship that you do not really need.  This especially goes for good jewelry, watches, etc.  Our 2nd rule is that any valuables we must have (such as phone, money, credit card) go into a waterproof pouch that stays with me whether on the beach or in the water.  What we leave on the beach is a cheap backpack with towels and sometimes our Kindles (not overly valuable).  

As to Passports, we never carry them unless it is absolutely necessary (very rare).  We have pictures of our main Passport pages on our phones but the real documents are almost always locked in a safe whether it be in our cruise ship cabin or in a hotel.  Over 50 years of International travel has taught us that the risk of NOT carrying our Passports is much greater than the risk of carrying the document.  There are a few rare times (such as in some countries where I rent a car or a country such as Russia where you must carry we do have our Passports, but they are in very secure places (such as a Passport carrier under my shirt).  We have never been to a beach where we needed our Passports

Hank

• Like 3