Man Overboard on Carnival Valor found alive

BlerkOne

1 hour ago, Pyxie said:

We actually do have a general idea of the latest he could have gone over due to where he was found. He was found just south of the mouth of the Mississippi River. If he had gone overboard much later, he would have been further out in open ocean.

Would that not depend on currents and tidal movement?

Just now, broberts said:

Would that not depend on currents and tidal movement?

Exactly. Which is basically an educated guess not an exact science from what I understand. It could likely give a radius. But couldn’t say for 100% certainty where he went in and ended up. 

Someone posted on here a year or two ago that they had a jumper on a cruise ship they were on once. Multiple people saw him jump. Ship stopped, put in a lifeboat, and they pulled him out of the water...and he was ok.  For some reason, I thought that it was a cruise to Hawaii, but I could be wrong.

16 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And another wholly unsubstantiated conspiracy theory has made its way onto the thread. 🤦‍♂️

I heard from a reliable source that what actually happened was Scotty beamed the guy off the ship and he helped Captain Kirk and Spock return the Enterprise to it's proper time period. They just beamed him into the Gulf so he had a cover story for those missing hours. 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

People keep on mentioning "treading" water.   When I took swimming lesson when I was a youngster, they tought us how to tread water by moving arms and/or hands.

They also taught us that you do not have to tread water.  You can lay on your back or front and float.  If you this you are burning a lot less energy than treading water.

Also the more saline the water is the easier it is to float.Look up tours that go to the Dead Sea.  One of the selling points is the ability to float because of the extremely high salinity of the water.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 9:07 PM, CruizinSusan70 said:

Leo DiCaprio didn't do too well in Titanic.

On 11/26/2022 at 11:59 PM, staceyglow said:

That's 100% on Kate Winslet.  She wouldn't let him on the floating door with her.

I'm just sayin' . . . .
  titanic-door.jpg
(if you can't see the picture, its multiple ways Kate & Leo would have BOTH fit on the board)

Edited by angela12345
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, gatour said:

People keep on mentioning "treading" water.   When I took swimming lesson when I was a youngster, they tought us how to tread water by moving arms and/or hands.

They also taught us that you do not have to tread water.  You can lay on your back or front and float.  If you this you are burning a lot less energy than treading water.

Also the more saline the water is the easier it is to float.Look up tours that go to the Dead Sea.  One of the selling points is the ability to float because of the extremely high salinity of the water.

People still drown in the Dead Sea.

On 11/27/2022 at 4:13 AM, rodndonna said:

Quite a mystery ....

Possibly an attempt to claim a life insurance policy being involved.

He's 28 years old, and as far as we know, single. Why would he have a life insurance policy ?

(sincere question)  

34 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

He's 28 years old, and as far as we know, single. Why would he have a life insurance policy ?

(sincere question)  

Not sure about the US, but most Canadian companies provide life insurance as a standard benefit. I know I  always had insurance when I was single through the companies I worked for. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

(sincere question)  

It is not that uncommon to have a life insurance policy even if you are single. My parents got me a policy when I was a minor. When I turned 21 it was converted to an adult policy. Even though I am 50+ years old and single I still have the policy.

• Like 3

We were onboard the Valor when this happened. We could tell something was going on Thursday afternoon. They called for this person over and over to report to Guest Services. The whole ship was searched including staterooms and we could tell we were turning back. The captain then made the man overboard announcement. Of course there were several rumors going around: suicide note was left, jumped naked with a life jacket on, drunk and yelling at a bartender because he was cut off. Our time in Cozumel and Progresso was adjusted. As far as consequences for the individual, I am happy he is alive, but do believe there should be laws against intentionally jumping or "falling" overboard. I have been on 20+ cruises and do not believe there is anyway to fall. You can jump, fall while climbing on the railing, or be pushed, but I find it hard to believe that anyone could accidentally fall.

• Like 9

20 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Someone posted on here a year or two ago that they had a jumper on a cruise ship they were on once. Multiple people saw him jump. Ship stopped, put in a lifeboat, and they pulled him out of the water...and he was ok.  For some reason, I thought that it was a cruise to Hawaii, but I could be wrong.

We were on that cruise. It was a 15 day from San Diego to Hawaii in 2012. He jumped around 1 PM from the Lido, so many people saw him. They took him to the hospital at our first HI port. I don't know how injured he was.

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2022 at 6:50 PM, BlerkOne said:

I don't think anyone disputes he was plucked from the water, but says nothing about what time he went in or where, or how.

Maybe he climbed over a rail or other barrier to do something illicit and was looking for a location where he wouldn't be busted. Maybe it was a stunt and he was bobbing on a flotation device until he knew he would be rescued. or maybe....

12 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Just sayin'

Good grief. It's like a game of telephone, or CruiseCritic as it were:

"Fellow passenger Whitney Gaines told the Daily Mail that she heard the man’s family talking about him during breakfast the morning after he disappeared.

They talked about how “he kept getting in trouble for vaping in non-designated smoke areas because there’s only one area where you can really go smoke,” Gaines told the outlet.

“I think they were kind of alluding to the fact that he stepped out to go somewhere,” she said, adding that his family believed he had been drunk before he vanished.

Gaines also told the Daily Mail that the man’s sister said she had been with him at a bar.

“She said, ‘He was with me, and then he wasn’t,’” the passenger recounted hearing the woman say.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Not sure about the US, but most Canadian companies provide life insurance as a standard benefit. I know I  always had insurance when I was single through the companies I worked for. 

All US based companies also provide life insurance, just like they all provide health insurance and they all provide a pension till the day you die. 🤔🤔🤔

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

All US based companies also provide life insurance, just like they all provide health insurance and they all provide a pension till the day you die. 🤔🤔🤔

Maybe still a little better here in Canada, most companies still provide benefits, but the days of the pensions are long gone and have been for many years, unless you are employed by the government.

5 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Maybe still a little better here in Canada, most companies still provide benefits, but the days of the pensions are long gone and have been for many years, unless you are employed by the government.

My response was 100% sarcasm.  There are zero guarantees when it comes to insurance as well as pensions.  It's on a job to job basis and even many white collar jobs don't come with life insurance, don't provide pensions and may provide health insurance.  

It's a whole different situation in the lower 48.

15 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

My response was 100% sarcasm.  There are zero guarantees when it comes to insurance as well as pensions.  It's on a job to job basis and even many white collar jobs don't come with life insurance, don't provide pensions and may provide health insurance.  

It's a whole different situation in the lower 48.

I kinda knew your response was sarcasm .. I just didn't want to respond  in a way that sounded like I thought Canada was superior in terms of employment benefits (and laws).. 😉