Suit jacket required?

LoriAB

Help me out here folks. My BF and I are leaving on Freedom in 2 days. He is insisting that he needs to take a suit jacket. I’m telling him that he doesn’t need anything other than a nice shirt and pants for the more formal dinner. It’s been many years since I sailed on Carnival, so thanks for the information. He really just wants to make sure that he’s not the only one without a jacket. They’re a pain to pack 🙄

Edited by LoriAB
  • Like 1

I don't recall ever bringing, much less wearing, a suit jacket for the Elegant nights.

A buttoned and collared shirt is what I would consider a good baseline, and adding a tie is what I always do.

Oh, and pants - apparently that's also a good idea.  😉 

Other folks do wear jackets, but I would say not the majority.

• Like 2

Tell your BF to relax, it's a vacation. There's no enforced dress code, only suggestions.

Formal night is not even called that any longer, it's elegant night and the only difference between that day and any other is the dining room serves a sea bug that at one time was thought so disgusting it was considered by-catch, or waste, and discarded as such.

A small lobster tail.

No one cares. They will only stop you going into main dining room (MDR) if you're in flip flops, cut off jeans and a crop top, and EVEN THEN its questionable is they'd actually turn you away.

Nice shirt, dark jeans or pants and you're good.

Dress respectful, like you would for Thanksgiving....how's that?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SCBarker said:

Let the man dress up a little. I makes some of us feel good. 🤪

I'm still known to bring tuxedos for elegant nights and sport coats for casual nights.

and good on you, nothing wrong with it. Makes you happy, all good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LoriAB said:

He really just wants to make sure that he’s not the only one without a jacket.

Based on this sentence, I would say your BF can leave the jacket at home - it is not required, and if the only reason to bring one is concern about being the only one without one, then that is not the case.

But, if he wants to bring one anyway, he won't be out of place wearing it.  Unless it is a Herb Tarlek jacket...then all bets are off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

if you are planning on buying some photos of you two all gussied up, then maybe he'd want to bring it, but it's definitely not necessary. 

IMO, the greatest invention I've found are my khaki and olive tracker pants from Costco, super light weight, nice dressy casual look, I'd pair them with a collared shirt and that alone was probably dressier than many men in the dining venues.

• Like 1

I wear cargo shorts and a polo each night. I used to wear jeans/polo on elegant nights several years ago but have slowly morphed into just wearing my usual cargo shorts and polo on the elegant nights as well. You'll see a few jackets but not many. Not everyone enjoys dressing up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, jimbob22 said:

if you are planning on buying some photos of you two all gussied up, then maybe he'd want to bring it, but it's definitely not necessary. 

IMO, the greatest invention I've found are my khaki and olive tracker pants from Costco, super light weight, nice dressy casual look, I'd pair them with a collared shirt and that alone was probably dressier than many men in the dining venues.

You hit it on the head. The athleisure wear change from companies like Lululemon and Under armour and Nike have given men the options of pants other than cotton denim or khaki/Docker/chino type of pants. Clothing designated as Golf wear are the perfect choices for a cruise and the clothes themselves are comfortable, lightweight and pack easier. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! He can dress as he likes, but he was worried that he would be the only one without a jacket. Not having to bring one makes packing much easier! Thanks to everyone for your help/assistance! Less than 48 hours until we board!

5 hours ago, jimbob22 said:

Can you post a picture of the pants?

1 hour ago, sunonfire said:

Can you post a picture of the pants?

found them on amazon, look up "

Weatherproof Vintage Men's Performance Weather-Flex Flex Flatfront Pant".   

I think they were around 15-16 bucks when I got them at costco, but that was maybe a year or two ago.  My jeans are 32x32 and so are these pants, but I have to wear these with a belt b/c they seem to like to slide down a bit.  They're probably half the weight and bulk of jeans.