Hold that 2nd Lobster Tail and 3rd Entree in the MDR

MACE

5 minutes ago, nelblu said:

This topic IMO is an offshoot of the test menu presently on Symphony.  The so-called menu is quite skimpy and get rid of the classic entree options.  As a substitute on lobster night is the so-called Maine lobster tail, which from the picture is not any bigger than the present Caribbean one.  

Classics were not gotten rid of, they are rotated. 
What photo are you talking about? I have not seen a photo posted. In this thread of the Coldwater lobster being served on Symphony.

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, nelblu said:

This topic IMO is an offshoot of the test menu presently on Symphony.  The so-called menu is quite skimpy and get rid of the classic entree options.  As a substitute on lobster night is the so-called Maine lobster tail, which from the picture is not any bigger than the present Caribbean one.  

First of all, IT IS A TEST. Except for some people posting that their waiters told them it will be the current menu, Royal Caribbean has not made any announcements that the current menu will be implemented exactly as it is now. For all we know, they purposely left off the classic entrees as a control to be able to see which of the new items were most popular and best to include. Until an announcement is made by Royal Caribbean, all of this is pure speculation. And I am flabbergasted at people that are threatening to cancel their cruises and excoriating RCL over a TEST on ONE ship.

Secondly, you are from the East Coast. Surely you are aware of the difference in quality and size between current Caribbean lobster and cold water Maine lobster.

People making a big deal about this are just wanting to complain without knowing what they are talking about and/or without paying attention to detail.  You can't compare the two tails.  I would much rather have 1 Maine lobster tail than 10 of the warm water ones they currently serve.  

Besides, Maine lobster is currently very expensive due to legal battles over the fishing of the lobster. Some restaurants have taken Maine lobster off their menu entirely. The fact that someone can get one Maine lobster complimentary is a huge upgrade over the current warm water things they serve.

Can you post some pictures from Symphony of the actual Maine tails that are being served?

Edited by cured
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 5:26 PM, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

I don't believe most see it as just a "trial". It's about the start of endless cost cutting and nickel and dimming. The road to less choice of food, while at the same time charging more for extras etc. IMHO

I know right.  It is just totally disgusting that you can only order 2 lobster tails and prime rib.  How uncourteous of them.  Geez.  If you are that big of an eater, maybe staying home and spending the cruise money on restaurants would be a better fit.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2022 at 6:26 PM, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

I don't believe most see it as just a "trial". It's about the start of endless cost cutting and nickel and dimming. The road to less choice of food, while at the same time charging more for extras etc. IMHO

Exactly, I am nervous that this will become a fleetwide thing. My biggest issue is the removing of the classics, it will be a real shame if they make that move on all ships. I love my French onion soup every night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Classics were not gotten rid of, they are rotated. 
What photo are you talking about? I have not seen a photo posted. In this thread of the Coldwater lobster being served on Symphony.

Look up topic "New Menu on Symphony Reported". Test menus illustrated in topic and the lobster photo is on page 8.

18 minutes ago, gallagher123123 said:

Exactly, I am nervous that this will become a fleetwide thing. My biggest issue is the removing of the classics, it will be a real shame if they make that move on all ships. I love my French onion soup every night.

Maybe your fellow passengers don't enjoy it the rest of the evening?  😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

Look up topic "New Menu on Symphony Reported". Test menus illustrated in topic and the lobster photo is on page 8.

Yes, that photo is from "Hooked" and not the MDR.  It was listed on the menu as a 4oz warm water lobster (same as traditionally offered in MDR on lobster night)

This picture is NOT of a cold water Maine lobster tail form the MDR.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2022 at 12:19 PM, shellunderwater said:

But I didn't learn to type until high school.

🙂

lol...9th Grade Typing Class: "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"

In regard to the trial about the possible start of MDR extra Fees for Lobster Tails and Entrees fleet wide, remember: Royal is Loyal to their Customers and their Money.

Some fun at Royal's expense (pun intended)

Why stop in the MDR for charging extra fees?

Windjammer: Have to swipe your SeaPass Card to get a plate, then swipe it again to exit the WJ

Pool Deck Towel Station: Have to swipe your card every 30 minutes to extend the time of using your Pool Towel. It's a win win for Royal, more money, and cuts down on Chair Hogs

Stateroom: Here's where Royal can make a lot of $$$ on extra fees

-Swipe your card every time you need to open the safe

-Swipe your card for a new roll of toilet paper

-Swipe your card every time you want a fresh bathroom towel

-Swipe your card every time to enter the bathroom, after the 1st three complementary visits per day

-Like the Corkage fee, swipe your card every time you want to open the balcony door to enjoy those fresh free Ocean Breezes...wait "free" fresh Ocean Breezes? Royal may see an another opportunity to charge a extra fee

Royal just might find Endless Opportunities Aboard to Make the most extra Fees possible of Every Cruise Moment...lol

Edited by MACE

32 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Didn't realize the concept of "complementary" dining equaled "all you can shove down your gullet".

That's why you go to the Gutjammer...

7 hours ago, cured said:

First of all, IT IS A TEST. Except for some people posting that their waiters told them it will be the current menu, Royal Caribbean has not made any announcements that the current menu will be implemented exactly as it is now. For all we know, they purposely left off the classic entrees as a control to be able to see which of the new items were most popular and best to include. Until an announcement is made by Royal Caribbean, all of this is pure speculation. And I am flabbergasted at people that are threatening to cancel their cruises and excoriating RCL over a TEST on ONE ship.

Secondly, you are from the East Coast. Surely you are aware of the difference in quality and size between current Caribbean lobster and cold water Maine lobster.

People making a big deal about this are just wanting to complain without knowing what they are talking about and/or without paying attention to detail.  You can't compare the two tails.  I would much rather have 1 Maine lobster tail than 10 of the warm water ones they currently serve.  

Besides, Maine lobster is currently very expensive due to legal battles over the fishing of the lobster. Some restaurants have taken Maine lobster off their menu entirely. The fact that someone can get one Maine lobster complimentary is a huge upgrade over the current warm water things they serve.

Can you post some pictures from Symphony of the actual Maine tails that are being served?

I hope these new menus do turn these people off. The only element of cruising I dislike are the entitled passengers who say they have a great time but still moan about everything and cause unnecessary grief to the hardworking crew over minor issues.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MACE said:

In regard to the trial about the possible start of MDR extra Fees for Lobster Tails and Entrees fleet wide, remember: Royal is Loyal to their Customers and their Money.

Windjammer: Have to swipe your SeaPass Card to get a plate, then swipe it again to exit the WJ

Pool Deck Towel Station: Have to swipe your card every 30 minutes to extend the time of using your Pool Towel. It's a win win for Royal, more money, and cuts down on Chair Hogs

-Swipe your card every time to enter the bathroom, after the 1st three complementary visits per day

-Like the Corkage fee, swipe your card every time you want to open the balcony door to enjoy those fresh free Ocean Breezes...wait "free" fresh Ocean Breezes? Royal may see an another opportunity to charge a extra fee

Royal just might find Endless Opportunities Aboard to Make the most extra Fees possible of Every Cruise Moment...lol

I bring my own TP

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, MACE said:

That's why you go to the Gutjammer...

Yes, if I received a "complimentary" meal at Golden Corral, I would expect to have all I could eat, as that is their "meal".  If, however, I was "comped" a meal at Ruth's Chris, I doubt they'd allow me to order 3 filet mignons.

• Like 2

In my line of work I am keenly aware of todays food cost and supply chain issues.

I understand the need to charge for extra high cost entrees.

I just hope they don’t take it too far with limiting choices each day or further reducing portion sizes below industry norms or downgrading ingredients.

Guests can and do understand changes, they just can’t all be obvious in your face cheapening of what is expected.

• Like 1

Such an emotional topic! 

I can see why people are disappointed. Lobster night has always been a thing, and some waiters really play it up with the extra tails. Maybe its success is part of the problem. It has become somewhat of a competitive eating challenge for some folks. But nothing is really free. The rest of the passengers have to subsidize the few who are having four+ tails. Having never personally consumed that many, I can't argue against charging for it, though charging after two would be my preference. They are tiny, two seems reasonable as a portion size. 

I can't imagine canceling a cruise over this issue but I understand the disappointment. Loving lobster night doesn't mean you are some gluttonous hog who deserves a trough in the back of the buffet. We all have things that are important to us.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

Such an emotional topic! 

I can see why people are disappointed. Lobster night has always been a thing, and some waiters really play it up with the extra tails. Maybe its success is part of the problem. It has become somewhat of a competitive eating challenge for some folks. But nothing is really free. The rest of the passengers have to subsidize the few who are having four+ tails. Having never personally consumed that many, I can't argue against charging for it, though charging after two would be my preference. They are tiny, two seems reasonable as a portion size. 

I can't imagine canceling a cruise over this issue but I understand the disappointment. Loving lobster night doesn't mean you are some gluttonous hog who deserves a trough in the back of the buffet. We all have things that are important to us.

They aren’t charging for the tiny lobster tails; they have switched to a larger, higher quality cold water lobster. The trade off in higher quality makes the fee reasonable. 

• Like 2

Maybe I'm not the best person to interject in this "emotional" issue as I believe that food quality has declined on mainline cruising for a few years, but here are my thoughts..

First sailed back in 2000 on NCL Seaward.  Our cruise fare for the "cheapest" inside cabin was approx. $950 pp for a 7 day sailing.  I believe that there were 2 lobster nights at that time and yes you could order extra tails.  We are not big drinkers so I can't comment on drink prices at the time.

Fast forward to today, a 10 day sailing on Celebrity Millennium lovely Sunset Veranda cabin in May cost us the same price.  Adjusted for inflation, the actual price is MUCH lower.  My belief is that the cruise vacation "value" is still very strong; however the cruise "experience" has diminished. The cruise companies are trying to keep the cruise fare low with an "ala-carte" model.  

We have sailed on many of the Mainline cruises for the past 22 years, but haven't sailed on a luxury cruise as of yet.  In order to see if we can capture the elevated cruise experience of the past, we have reserved our first luxury cruise in June on the Regent Seven Seas Splendor.  If we enjoy the experience, we will just be selective with our cruise lines, albeit forfeit sailings to compensate for the additional costs.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 5:10 AM, sailor05 said:

My personal opinion is they should just do away with the lobster nights. I HATE fish and the smell of it. Lobster nights smell terrible! Then there wouldn't be any complaining about getting a second or third one...

3rd grade palette speaks up.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, MACE said:

At the Windjammer perhaps a better option would be to weigh in and weigh out. 

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Didn't realize the concept of "complementary" dining equaled "all you can shove down your gullet".

This is the part that confuses me.  On lobster night, EVERY TIME, the waiter asks if we want more. Some are more pointed and practically beg us to take a second tail.  When one person at the table accepts a second one, the waiter ALWAYS brings a plate with 3-4, asking if anyone else wants one.  So there seem to be some very mixed signals here.

• Like 2