3 Things I'll Miss About NCL, and 3 Things I Won't

AndyCapn

1 minute ago, ggTexasGal said:

Prices are certainly varied across the board. 

Most $50(or under) are either equipment rentals, or they are for short excursions in the US Virgin Islands or such, but there are some available!

None in the Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, or Iceland. The ad campaign does not say free on selected cruises. 

• Like 1

Well…that didn’t take long.

OP….Celebrity is a good cruise line, too.  I’m betting you’ll like it.  NCL is my “go to” most of the time no matter how much they seem to want me to leave.  Not sure the purpose behind the public proclamation, but OK!

Now….carry on with the tipping and drinks…..ummmm….”discussion”.  But, since we’re making public proclamations, I have sailed NCL for a long while.  I know of no one……NO ONE…who has EVER bought the full price drink package.  NEVER!  If they do/did they deserve to pay the prices NCL lists and they aren’t the brightest bulb in the light socket.

Same goes for the speciality dinners.  I KNOW OF NO ONE WHO’S EVER DINED IN A SPECIALTY RESTAURANT WHILE PAYING NCL’S  A LA CARTE PRICING!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I think I fall in the never say never camp. A company would need an incompatible culture or egregious error to cause me to proclaim a forever goodbye or “breakup” with them in a public setting, as such. Companies change. Prices fluctuate. Newer ships are built, better itineraries are offered. 

Like most products, no cruise lines offer perfect cruising. Some ships are too big with too many people. Some ships are smaller and, while crowds are smaller, there is less entertainment and things to do. Some ships cater to families. Some ships cater to an older generation. Some are louder parties while others are quieter relaxation. 

Spend your dollars where you get the most enjoyment. But no need to finish your meal at Chick-fil-A and before walking out the door declare, “I’ll miss your lemonade but I’m not coming back because you don’t serve burgers.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I think I fall in the never say never camp. A company would need an incompatible culture or egregious error to cause me to proclaim a forever goodbye or “breakup” with them in a public setting, as such. Companies change. Prices fluctuate. Newer ships are built, better itineraries are offered. 

Like most products, no cruise lines offer perfect cruising. Some ships are too big with too many people. Some ships are smaller and, while crowds are smaller, there is less entertainment and things to do. Some ships cater to families. Some ships cater to an older generation. Some are louder parties while others are quieter relaxation. 

Spend your dollars where you get the most enjoyment. But no need to finish your meal at Chick-fil-A and before walking out the door declare, “I’ll miss your lemonade but I’m not coming back because you don’t serve burgers.”

👏 

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Same goes for the speciality dinners.  I KNOW OF NO ONE WHO’S EVER DINED IN A SPECIALTY RESTAURANT WHILE PAYING NCL’S  A LA CARTE PRICING!

Before it was included in the SDP and was a la carte only, I've eaten at Food Republic on multiple occasions.....using OBC.😉

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Before it was included in the SDP and was a la carte only, I've eaten at Food Republic on multiple occasions.....using OBC.😉

Should have qualified that.  Have done the same in Food Republic before they were included in the SDP.  BTW….Food Republic is one of my Specialty Dining faves.

• Like 2

We used to only go on Princess and Oceania then friends of ours convinced us to go on Celebrity. NCL cruises year round from New York and I LOVE THE SLOTS so now we go Celebrity from Florida ( they give me 40% off even off the biggest suite) and NCL Haven which subtracts the cost of an ocean view (very little ). Sthrngary, you will be in a state of shock on Oceania especially if you like trivia where it is a Blood sport. You will meet very A type personalities. Everyone is either a former CEO or a Professor of Classical Literature ( joking). Food good ( but not as good as they make it out to be, great itineraries, excellent service especially if you are in a suite, and no lines) They have a small outdoor grill open for when you come back from touring with delicious Reubens, and Fish sandwiches. Now that we've gone Haven, I just am so happy with NCL that I accept no matter how much I bet they aren't giving me gobs off. Last cruise I hit four  big handpays, gave it all back and nothing changed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I KNOW OF NO ONE WHO’S EVER DINED IN A SPECIALTY RESTAURANT WHILE PAYING NCL’S  A LA CARTE PRICING!

I have.  It was years ago, on our second NCL cruise.  We had not built up enough Latitudes points to get something for nothing, yet we wanted to see what the big deal was with specialty dining.  We went to Teppanyaki one night and Le Bistro another and paid full fare.  Since we made the decisions on the spur of the moment, we had not purchased a dining package.  We just went in, ate, and signed the bill.  Since then we have had dinner in NCL specialty restaurants about a hundred times, each time "on the cuff."

• Like 3

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

We have on the Encore.  Paid A La Carte for the Q Texas Smokehouse, as the cost breakdown was better that way.   Didn't want to use up one of our 2 package meals.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

When we were new to cruising with NCL we did indeed pay for Moderno,  we were over all pretty happy with the included places.  😉 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Now you have.  DW and I did this on a couple of cruises on NCL prior to their more generous FAS offers.  This would be 8 or more years ago.  We booked steerage and didn't receive any free dinners or drinks.  I refer to this as the dark ages.  We generally ate two dinners in specialty dinning and just paid the price.  I do remember paying fixed fee at Tepanyaki in HI and Moderno in AK.  The Tepanyaki was half off due to first day of the cruise (it was an error offered by an NCL tour guide, but they honored it for us and others at our table).  The Moderno was awful (everything well done) and NCL gave us OBC on our next cruise.  Got a steak at Cagneys and shared a side (no appetizer, no dessert).  So yes, there have been people/suckers who paid the price.  Would I do it again?  NO WAY!!! 😎  Live and learn....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

We used to only go on Princess and Oceania then friends of ours convinced us to go on Celebrity. NCL cruises year round from New York and I LOVE THE SLOTS so now we go Celebrity from Florida ( they give me 40% off even off the biggest suite) and NCL Haven which subtracts the cost of an ocean view (very little ). Sthrngary, you will be in a state of shock on Oceania especially if you like trivia where it is a Blood sport. You will meet very A type personalities. Everyone is either a former CEO or a Professor of Classical Literature ( joking). Food good ( but not as good as they make it out to be, great itineraries, excellent service especially if you are in a suite, and no lines) They have a small outdoor grill open for when you come back from touring with delicious Reubens, and Fish sandwiches. Now that we've gone Haven, I just am so happy with NCL that I accept no matter how much I bet they aren't giving me gobs off. Last cruise I hit four  big handpays, gave it all back and nothing changed.

@Treasure Hunter After going on a Crystal Cruises ship that was 25% filled, I will not be in shock.  The Cruise On Oceania is with our best very competitive friends.  We will rule that ship.  Time to Havenize Oceania, LOL. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2