Lifeboat #13...

Tom-n-Cheryl

I've noticed on most ships, they opt to skip labeling any decks as #13.  I'm not superstitious (though I've been known to knock on wood -  just because, lol), but this caught my eye on the Reflection last night as we left Tuscan Grille.

There it was - a sign showing the way to the lifeboats, #13 included.

So, if they're willing to skip labeling a deck as #13, do they think anyone would have an issue being told to board LIFEBOAT #13 ? !! 

I suppose, if it should come to that - any port (errr, lifeboat) in a storm !

i-T9TbSHw-L.jpg

Tom

32 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I've noticed on most ships, they opt to skip labeling any decks as #13.  I'm not superstitious (though I've been known to knock on wood -  just because, lol), but this caught my eye on the Reflection last night as we left Tuscan Grille.

There it was - a sign showing the way to the lifeboats, #13 included.

So, if they're willing to skip labeling a deck as #13, do they think anyone would have an issue being told to board LIFEBOAT #13 ? !! 

I suppose, if it should come to that - any port (errr, lifeboat) in a storm !

i-T9TbSHw-L.jpg

Tom

I would be ok with Lifeboat #13 if the cruise ship was sinking.   On the other hand, I would not be ok with Emergency Parachute #13......

Edited by mahdnc
  • Haha 8

You guys are too funny!  I would think the reason there is no deck 13 is that no one would book a cabin on it.  Whereas with lifeboat #13, life would be in danger and no one thinking about options or superstitions.  May we never have to use one except for tenders.

I can see where there might be some safety reason for having consecutive lifeboat numbers (so it might be out of their hands). I'd imagine that it's simpler if rescue personnel know that they have, in an emergency, located all the lifeboats from a ship, without having to worry about "Oh, this ship doesn't have a #13"!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

I would be ok with Lifeboat #13 if the cruise ship was sinking.   On the other hand, I would not be ok with Emergency Parachute #13......

If you're 13th in line, and there isn't a #14 or above...

Of course, if that's the case, who is flying the plane?!?!?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

What are the odds you’re on both a sinking ship and sinking lifeboat?  If you are, you need to survive so you can buy a lottery ticket 🙃

Add in the plane from David's example above, and there's a joke to be made about an aircraft carrier, but I have too much of a headache to come up with it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

13 is my lucky number!  They told me to beware of Friday the 13th.  I told them it was the other 363 days I had to worry about😂

We have friends who got married on Friday the 13th. They paid about 40% of normal prices for the venue, catering, DJ, etc. 

They are pretty smart cookies, and it was a lovely wedding in May of 2005. . 

4 hours ago, MamaFej said:

We have friends who got married on Friday the 13th. They paid about 40% of normal prices for the venue, catering, DJ, etc. 

They are pretty smart cookies, and it was a lovely wedding in May of 2005. . 

Are they still together?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Are they still together?

Thay are, with two lovely children.

Scratch that. 

With one lovely child, and one who has the potential to become lovely again, after he gets this through this %(&^  phase. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1