Another cut being tested: Once per day cabin service

Tenderpaw

I do enjoy returning to my cabin after dinner and seeing the curtains drawn, the lighting adjusted, the bedding neatened and the Compass and whatever letters/notices left on the bed. I would miss it if it was discontinued. 
Not the end of the world, but for all of those saying that if you don’t like these trends, simply sail with some other company, I’ve invested a lot of time and money to get to the level I’ve earned on Royal (albeit only half a Pinn at this time) and want to enjoy the benefits I’ve earned and expected to receive. 
Not going to walk away but my tipping situation will be closely aligned with the service provided. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

Post your scheduled cruises, give it about 3 days, and you're chances of a royalup to any room will have greatly improved.  (No need for ya to bid a penny over min either).

Why do I need to?  I have three lined up next year, why would I need to royal up when I book a cruise I pick the room I want to stay in, no need to worry if I am going to bid up just to get a room.  I already picked it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Longford said:

Your response tells me a lot about you and your lifestyle, if you don't understand why people stay in an airbnb and others pay more to cruise.  LOL!

Oh really, I have stayed at resorts, hotels and Vacation Clubs and I paid more at a Vacation Club than on a Cruise, you haven't proven anything.

• Haha 1

On 12/8/2022 at 1:31 AM, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

Again, I am upset that right after I paid for next 2 years non refundable trips, the cuts started almost daily and over the weeks haven't stopped or showed signs of stopping. And I'm stuck having paid for more then the services I believed I was to receive. 

On 12/9/2022 at 5:05 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

How would insurance help with cut backs? 

The cut backs are real.  I've been on two cruises in the last three months -- I still had two fantastic trips, but I did see the cuts. 

Pulling out your kid's bunk bed, whether it's easy or difficult, seems to be "too much" on a vacation where you've paid for cabin service -- especially, as I said above, when a 3rd or 4th guest is in a cabin, the steward is making more money…

Insurance would have helped so he could have canceled his 2 cruises if the cutbacks were to much. Or if he would have gone with a refundable deposit he could have canceled them. 

I’m well aware of the cut backs. I’ve been on 27 cruises since the restart and have seen them. Royal and other cruise lines are trying to dig themselves out of a deep hole and are doing what they can. I would rather see cabin service cut back instead of food quality. I’m surprised people don’t put the beds away as soon as they get up since I would think they would be in the way and wouldn’t want to wait for the cabin attendant. Just my thought.

Edited by ReneeFLL

On 12/7/2022 at 2:50 PM, TravelGirlinDallas said:

This is disappointing. I've cruised both Carnival and Royal, and the continued twice-a-day service was for us one of the big advantages of Royal over Carnival once Carnival discontinued the second service. 

Do I need new towels twice a day at home? No. But at home I'm not going to the beach all day and then showering afterward, then needing another shower the next morning when the towel hasn't had time to dry. That was an issue for us on Carnival. Also, when our son slept on the sofa bed on Carnival, the steward left it as a bed the entire time, so we didn't have use of the couch at all. I really appreciated having the couch available during the day and the bed made up at night on our Ovation cruise. 

It's just one of the special things that (used to) set cruising apart from all other types of vacation. It was something I appreciated and will miss when it's gone. 

.Exactly and certainly agree with this. I have always said that about cruising.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plum Happy said:

Why do I need to?  I have three lined up next year, why would I need to royal up when I book a cruise I pick the room I want to stay in, no need to worry if I am going to bid up just to get a room.  I already picked it.

Sorry I have to spell it out for you.  If you let us know your cruise dates, plenty of cabins will magically become available. 

Edited by bucfan2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Plum Happy said:

Agreed. Same here. 

• Like 1

I just want to make a couple speculative comments. I was on quantum Nov 26th sailing and my cabin steward was already doing once a day cleaning. The embarkment day I did have a turn down service and then never again.

This was not an advertised change though. 

I say speculative because there was quite a lot of covid onboard and even the cruise director was in isolation for 5 days at the start of the cruise. I was strongly under the impression they had massive staff shortages. Despite the once a day clean my cabin steward hadn’t been able to get to my cabin yet one day until after 5PM, despite me having been out of room prior to 8am. I overheard he had 25 cabins. There was no way logistically for him to achieve turn down service as well. 

So yes, while it is definitely occurring on quantum, I don’t know if it’s really intentional right now as a test as opposed to just being acknowledged for the current cruises. If they suddenly stop doing this in a few cruises I’d chalk it up to staff shortages more than a real change they are pursuing.

Edited by BrianLo
  • Like 2

I will say if this is a permanent change, my biggest issue is not the once a day service but the sheer timing of when one receives it. 

If cabin stewards double their load moving forward, I found the timing to your room being serviced was generally quite slow.

My experience on other RCL vessels this year was consistent that if you put your sign out and leave for a good hour it’s pretty reliable the ninjas would be in an out. Or often I could see them visibly notice me leave and swing in. Versus I’d frequently leave the room all day, return to it still being uncleaned and would vacate when the cabin steward did eventually come.

The one day I turned down service entirely, because his shift was finished at 6 and I wanted to spend the 5-6 window in the room. It visibly upset my steward that I received no service, which was obviously my preference and not really his fault that my room was at the end of the rotation. He did compensate and get to my room instantly the following day.

Edited by BrianLo

7 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Right, I'm clean and don't like messes. Neither is anything that I'm embarrassed about. Never been in an Air BnB but have no issue cleaning up after myself. On a ship I guess my options are throw the used glasses out in the passageway or over the balcony railing.

I really can't believe people want to make issue about someone or many someone's wanting to have a clean towel after every shower.  It has nothing to do with being clean or not,  It's just a personal preference.   Damn, I just can't believe it!!!!!!!

BTW, I have stayed in an Air B&B about 3 or 4 times too many (We go because my daughter and son-in-law and kids love 'em).  My wife and I wash the towels, sheets, plates, pots, pans, silverware, toilet, sink, and shower upon arrival.  We wash towels, again, when we start to run out after using them only once.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bretts173 said:

So after every shower at home you wash your towel?

Yep

EDITED IN:  Yep, but I don't start the washing machine and run the dryer after each shower.  I must be very fortunate and I/we own many towels and can go for several days without running the washer and dryer.  But, I use a clean and fresh towel after every use.  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread is gold for some jokes but I've started a couple this morning and .... nothing. Just not feeling it today. 

I'm just going to sign off and go take a shower. I hope that's OK with everyone. It will be my second in less than 18 hours and the towel will be newly cleaned ... and pressed ... and warmed by my towel warning rack. 🔌

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

We stay on VRBOs every year.  Most often, we are in the Florida Keys.  My wife, a self-confessed washaholic, never lets clothes or towels go unwashed for more than a few hours.  We did a men’s trip last year and I did the same—everyone’s clothes and towels were clean by morning.

I did not fold anything, though.

I like fresh towels every time I shower on trips.  I enjoy that little bit of pampering.  I like twice a day service in cabins.  It just adds a little feel of pampering to the trip. 

I don’t so tents any more.  That ended with my Marine Corps career.  Lots do, of course, and more power to them.  I do stay in rustic shelter when hunting and that is okay, too.

• Like 3

RCCL is a publicly traded company. Order of priority is:

1. Shareholders.

2. Customers.

3. Employees.

For a CEO of a publicly traded company, return on shareholder value is an imperative, above all other things.

In order to return maximum shareholder value, RCCL must always find ways to cut costs. Each year, the dial is clicked further and further around implementation of cost cutting measures.

The trick: Balance cost cutting measures with customer tolerance. You cut too much, and you risk devaluing your brand, and customer loyalty. It's quite the dance!

Luckily, we all have choices! 

Thanks!

Edited by mramella
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mramella said:

RCCL is a publicly traded company. Order of priority is:

1. Shareholders.

2. Customers.

3. Employees.

For a CEO of a publicly traded company, return on shareholder value is an imperative, above all other things.

In order to return maximum shareholder value, RCCL must always find ways to cut costs. Each year, the dial is clicked further and further around implementation of cost cutting measures.

The trick: Balance cost cutting measures with customer tolerance. You cut too much, and you risk devaluing your brand, and customer loyalty. It's quite the dance!

Luckily, we all have choices! 

Thanks!

In reality, “1 is greed, they all get huge bonuses based on something. I thought it was profits but they all got big bonuses during the pandemic when none of the ships were sailing and they were drowning it debt.

29 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

In reality, “1 is greed, they all get huge bonuses based on something. I thought it was profits but they all got big bonuses during the pandemic when none of the ships were sailing and they were drowning it debt.

The bonuses show no regard for any of the three groups mentioned in the post you quoted.  

30 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

You make it sound like greed is a bad thing. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Greed!  In and of itself, I don't have a problem with "GREED".  If it wasn't for greed, we would not have innovation, inspiration, and much more.  Where I find a fault with "GREED" is, for example, big Pharma., charging hundreds of % more than what a drug costs.  That's not to say that I don't think that they don't deserve a very high margin, not at all.  It's very expensive to introduce a new drug.  And without greed, we become stationary.  It, for me, depends on "How much is enough" and I don't have an answer to that question.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TexasRon said:

The bonuses show no regard for any of the three groups mentioned in the post you quoted.  

Well actually those bonuses had to be approved by the shareholders directly or through the Board of Directors who have a fiduciary obligation to the corporation and its shareholders. 

I was only a RCL shareholder for a few months in 2020 and never had a chance to vote at the AGM - so don't blame me! 😁

Edited by DirtyDawg

30 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Well actually those bonuses had to be approved by the shareholders directly or through the Board of Directors who have a fiduciary obligation to the corporation and its shareholders. 

I was only a RCL shareholder for a few months in 2020 and never had a chance to vote at the AGM - so don't blame me! 😁

No no no, it's all your fault!  :classic_ninja:.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2