Grandson wants to wear golf shorts to MDR. on the glory.

51st FMS

Here is the dress code, now just wait for everyone to say wear what you want.

What to Wear - Evening Attire  
Following is the dress code in the main dining room(s) for both men, women and children:

“Cruise Casual” Dress Code

• Men: sports slacks, khakis, jeans, long dress shorts and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, jeans blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: cut-off jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Be sure to bring a red or blue outfit or a top for our Mega Deck Party.

“Cruise Elegant” Dress Code (formal evenings)

• 2-day to 5-day cruise: one “Cruise Elegant” evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two “Cruise Elegant” evenings

The first “Cruise Elegant” evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second “Cruise Elegant” evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting. 

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire 

20 minutes ago, jsglow said:

To sum it up 51st, he's completely 'good' on all nights except Elegant night where he would need long pants (not jeans) to be in policy compliance.  I bring khakis.

He CAN wear jeans on elegant night, it's not an issue and no one, literally no one will say anything. I've worn jeans on Elegant night. It's a NON ISSUE.

• Like 1

It is like kwokpot said, odds are no one will say anything. But if not wanting to follow the dress code, why not eat at a different venue. Personally, I do not sit and look at what others are wearing unless it is just something outlandish. To each their own.

8 minutes ago, canes20 said:

It is like kwokpot said, odds are no one will say anything. But if not wanting to follow the dress code, why not eat at a different venue. Personally, I do not sit and look at what others are wearing unless it is just something outlandish. To each their own.

The issue with dress codes is the definition of each piece of clothing. I don't wear jeans that look like I just went hiking in. They are fitted dark black, dark blue, and sometimes white. I pair them with a nice button shirt like the one I'm wearing in my profile photo (Which btw was taken on a Celebrity cruiseship). The jeans I wear look nicer than many men who wear 'dress pants' from the year 2000 with cuffs not properly hemmed so there's so much fabric bunched up around their shoes it would fit someone 12" taller. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

The issue with dress codes is the definition of each piece of clothing. I don't wear jeans that look like I just went hiking in. They are fitted dark black, dark blue, and sometimes white. I pair them with a nice button shirt like the one I'm wearing in my profile photo (Which btw was taken on a Celebrity cruiseship). The jeans I wear look nicer than many men who wear 'dress pants' from the year 2000 with cuffs not properly hemmed so there's so much fabric bunched up around their shoes it would fit someone 12" taller. 

I completely agree with what you are saying. There is a difference in jeans that have been worn hard and put up wet and nice jeans that would work well in the MDR.

giphy.gif

Edited by canes20
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, canes20 said:

That would be funny. About 50-100 people in the dining room

4 hours ago, canes20 said:

Here is the first

It's Carnival; the resort casual line. It's 110% okay every night. If im wrong send me the bill for your cruise and I'll pay it. 

You're gonna see graphic t-shirts, fishing shorts, bootie shorts, and all kinds of fun casual wear on Carnival. My advice is do what pleases YOU and enjoy your party. None of those other people will notice you and the idea of reciting some old dress code on a CARNIVAL cruise is laugh out loud funny. 

I know I don't stand a chance of losing a single cent in offering to pay for your cruise if I am wrong. 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 1

Can and should are two different things. I know you can wear a baseball cap on elegant night because on our last cruise I just happened to glance around us and in the small portion of the MDR I could see I saw five guys at four different tables wearing them. So you can, but having been taught manners, I wouldn't. Did it bother me? Not in the least. I was glad to see it. It makes me look good.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, canes20 said:

Here is the dress code, now just wait for everyone to say wear what you want.

Just got off the dream. Literally wear what you want.

OP- You and your grandson are on vacation and everybody is doing their own thing anyway- plus Golf shorts are "nicer" than most other types of shorts.

He probably should pack a pair of pants for Elegant/Formal night, but a nice polo/button down with golf shorts and decent shoes on the Glory is pretty much par for the course down here. Either way, he won't likely get a side-eye or get refused service.

Edited by keels81
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 51st FMS said:

My grandson asked if he could wear golf shorts in the MDR.  He's 16 if that makes a difference.  

When we sailed with our kids the minimum dress code was the cruise line's dress code. So as far as Carnival is concerned there are no issues with golf shorts. But then our boys had to pass Mrs. Dawg's dress code which was long pants only on Elegant night (and shirts and shoes of course😉). At least until after dinner and after photos. Never a battle over this as they all knew who was paying for the cruise and, by then, they had figured out if their mom wanted them to do something, they'd better just do it. Anyone remember the line from one of the Star Trek series when the Borg said "Resistance is futile", guess where the writers got that line from? 🤔 😁

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yes Carnival has a dress code suggestion and no they do not enforce it- at all, save the part about the bathing suits. They do enforce that in the MDR last I knew. Some can read this as my telling you to wear whatever you want- No- I am telling you that Carnival allows you to wear whatever you want. It's their line and their call on that, not mine. AS far as dressing up there are two considerations I have no matter the evening onboard. FIRST, there are typically 4 irons for the ENTIRE SHIP on say a vessel the size of the Vista. Why did I stop wearing a suit jacket? Because there are only four irons, one is probably broken, two work in a basic manner and they all have a line of people. So I end up looking like I was wrestled to the ground right before dinner and held there under a pile of animals. Yes I've used Carnival's laundry for pressing and it sucked too. That said, SECOND there are numerous photo opportunities on board and it's not often that I get photos of my son and I together so I do want at least a few where we look "nice". I mean it's something to keep in mind on say "Formal Night". A group family photo is a good excuse to go a little dressier which my son and I do BUT he typically wears dark pants (cotton twill) and a Polo shirt ironed as best as I can coax out of an iron picked up at a garage sale and installed in the laundry room on the ship by Carnival.   

• Like 1

If anyone is still keeping a running total on how many will say " wear anything you want "...better mark my name on that list. 

While I'm sure the MDR sheriffs won't allow just anything, I sometimes wonder. I personally always try to dress according to the ' rules ', but sure see a lot of peeps who do not. Many times I've seen jeans and shorts on elegant night. This actually doesn't bother me in the slightest. Our last cruise in November, one of our table mates wore either jeans or shorts every single night, and most nights with a simple t shirt. He was always clean looking, and our entire table enjoyed his company very much. We had fabulous table mates...very fun people...and that means way more to me than what they are wearing. So...for the OP...go with the shorts!

• Like 1

The reality is that this exact thread gets repeated approximately once a month with completely predictable posts.  Here's what I've personally done for a long time: Casual - shorts/polo. Elegant - slacks/Tommy Bahama (warm), long sleeve button down (cold). That probably puts me somewhere in the middle. Haven't taken a jacket in years; would never consider wearing shorts/tee/sneakers on Elegant.

• Like 1