Short Port Hours...Same boring Eastern Caribbean Itinerary

ken4556

Looking at options for a cruise next December before Christmas, HAL is offering an Eastern Caribbean on the NA with port times at Half Moon Cay from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm.  This is in addition to leaving St. Thomas at 4 pm.

I have been cruising with HAL since 2008 and every year, it is the same Eastern Caribbean itinerary offered with only St. Thomas and St. Marteen being interchanged.  I know many of the HAL faithful will say we do not care about the ports and the early departure times.  But someone of us do value the ports we visit. Why even bother to stop at Half Moon Cay for such a short stop?

HAL has already lost four cruises now to Celebrity due to better itineraries....and it looks like they will loose number 5.

I really starting to wonder if anyone in Seattle cares anymore about the passenger experience they are providing....

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ken4556 said:

Looking at options for a cruise next December before Christmas, HAL is offering an Eastern Caribbean on the NA with port times at Half Moon Cay from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm.  This is in addition to leaving St. Thomas at 4 pm.

I have been cruising with HAL since 2008 and every year, it is the same Eastern Caribbean itinerary offered with only St. Thomas and St. Marteen being interchanged.  I know many of the HAL faithful will say we do not care about the ports and the early departure times.  But someone of us do value the ports we visit. Why even bother to stop at Half Moon Cay for such a short stop?

HAL has already lost four cruises now to Celebrity due to better itineraries....and it looks like they will loose number 5.

I really starting to wonder if anyone in Seattle cares anymore about the passenger experience they are providing....

It's the typical Carnival experience.

• Like 3

HAL's 7 day Caribbean itineraries are pretty basic. And yet, corporate seems to be satisfied with passenger yields if they haven't changed them in such a long time. You may want to look into HAL's 10/11 day ones, which either go to the Panama Canal or the southern Caribbean islands, for a more interesting/varied itinerary. In any case, judging by pricing comparisons, HAL isn't as competitive in the Caribbean space. Their notable profitable margins I would think come from the Alaska and European cruises.

• Like 1

If I were sailing  the Caribbean for 7 days I would look beyond HAL.  Those sailings are strictly cash flow cruises and not their true niche. 

I have done a 12 day with HAL in the Caribbean and that seemed run off the mill. 

41 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

HAL's 7 day Caribbean itineraries are pretty basic. And yet, corporate seems to be satisfied with passenger yields if they haven't changed them in such a long time. You may want to look into HAL's 10/11 day ones, which either go to the Panama Canal or the southern Caribbean islands, for a more interesting/varied itinerary. In any case, judging by pricing comparisons, HAL isn't as competitive in the Caribbean space. Their notable profitable margins I would think come from the Alaska and European cruises.

Even the canal and southern Caribbean cruises are the same year after year. Cruise lines have their relationships with ports and it's easier to stay with the same places than work out new arrangements. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, albingirl said:

Those are enjoyable ports and not unusual. I wish we could stay longer at Half Moon. It does seem pathetically short.

The HMC stop has ended earlier and earlier over the years, but 2 PM is ridiculous when you consider everyone has to tender. Even using the island tenders, people don't get to stay on the island until 2:00. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The HMC stop has ended earlier and earlier over the years, but 2 PM is ridiculous when you consider everyone has to tender. Even using the island tenders, people don't get to stay on the island until 2:00. 

Sounds like an effort to eliminate the HMC lunch service?

4 hours ago, ken4556 said:

IMHO HAL is in a bad place right now and they need to get their act together. They can't blame the pandemic anymore and all the cuts they have made is making for a lousy cruise experience. This past year we sailed with HAL twice and Celebrity 3 times and the difference is startling, HAL can't come close to Celebrity when it comes to food and entertainment. Service is still great on both lines but cabin service on Celebrity is still twice a day with mints on the pillows every night. We received 4 mints for the week on our recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruise and the rationing of butter is pathetic.  We have noticed the short times in port and scratch our heads, 6 hours in some ports is a joke. What is happening with HAL is sad as we watch a once great cruise line reach new lows.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Sounds like an effort to eliminate the HMC lunch service?

I wonder if there's less interest in the lunch than there used to be. I usually go in the morning, swim or snorkel, and go back to the ship for lunch. My last time there, just before the covid shut down, I went early, did the horse ride, and hoped to do the afternoon snorkel by boat. The afternoon tour was cancelled because of too few people. So maybe people are skipping lunch and afternoon activities on the island.

I do think shortening the day reduces the value of renting a cabana or villa. Has the price gone down at all?

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
typos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

IMHO HAL is in a bad place right now and they need to get their act together. They can't blame the pandemic anymore and all the cuts they have made is making for a lousy cruise experience. This past year we sailed with HAL twice and Celebrity 3 times and the difference is startling, HAL can't come close to Celebrity when it comes to food and entertainment. Service is still great on both lines but cabin service on Celebrity is still twice a day with mints on the pillows every night. We received 4 mints for the week on our recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruise and the rationing of butter is pathetic.  We have noticed the short times in port and scratch our heads, 6 hours in some ports is a joke. What is happening with HAL is sad as we watch a once great cruise line reach new lows.

Wow.. A mint on your pillow every night. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Just off the NS. Arrival 9 am, last tender to ship 2:30 pm. But local clearance did not occur until 9:30 am, so you had maybe at most four hours at HMC.

38 minutes ago, albingirl said:

I just booked a European cruise.  The port stays are long and even overnight in some places.  Much better for the traveler who wants to immerse themselves in the visits.

As soon as I saw the title to this thread my first thought was "then branch out from the Caribbean, there's a lot more interesting places!"

26 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Wow.. A mint on your pillow every night. 

In Oct-Nov. on the NS we got pillow chocolates every night.  Our stewards were the best.  Also got 6 tiles (not that we need them) 😉  

• Like 3

I have looked at Celebrity and their prices are crazy - sorry for a mint on my pillow not going to pay way more for a Caribbean cruise.  And unless you are in a suite you are now 2nd class - and the infinity verandas on the new ships are not a veranda.  We were avid Celebrity cruisers but gave up with all their changes and their ridiculous prices.  

• Like 1

True, Celebrity prices are typically higher than HAL in most regions.

And high non refundable deposits.

However if they can deliver better food and service with less cutbacks they are an option for those who have stated “I would gladly pay more to get better”.

What truly is better of course is open to everyone’s opinion.