Turn Down to be reduced to once a day 2023!

ulster-cruiser

According to Crew Centre:

Norwegian Cruise Line will reduce cleaning services in guest staterooms aboard all of its ships in 2023. According to a letter sent to crew, the company will adjust the current daily stateroom (turn-down) service provided to guests in all categories below a Suite level. Guests staying in Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony, and Club Balcony Suite will receive once-daily stateroom service. The letter goes on to explain that all other suite and Haven categories will continue to receive twice-daily stateroom service. 

The first ship to implement the new policy will be Norwegian Epic, starting January 8, 2023. The new company policy will be rolled out to the entire fleet in the following three-month period, expected to be completed with the Norwegian Pearl on March 31, 2023.

According to NCL the reduction in daily housekeeping service will have a positive impact on the company’s “commitment to environmental sustainability”, and aligns with current “standard practices in the cruise and hotel industries by conservation of water, energy and reducing the use of chemicals.”

“Over the last two-plus years., the collective hospitality industry has evolved tremendously. From airlines, hotels and cruise lines, a new travel environment has emerged with renewed preferences in all aspects of the guest's travel experience Environmental sustainability is on stage more than ever and will continue to play a crucial role in all business practices now and into the future,” the letter reads in parts.

Shocking if true! The future is bleak - what will they take next?

• Like 2

I guess this will cause a reduction in the Discretion Service Charge, since my steward doesn't have to work as many hours for me.  But his income should stay the same since each steward can now do more cabins and thus get their share of DSC from more guests.  Maybe cruise fares will go down too since they need less staff.

But we all know it hasn't worked out that way in hotels since they reduced housekeeping, so it won't happen on cruises either

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

22 minutes ago, DwayneG said:

I guess this will cause a reduction in the Discretion Service Charge, since my steward doesn't have to work as many hours for me.  But his income should stay the same since each steward can now do more cabins and thus get their share of DSC from more guests.  Maybe cruise fares will go down too since they need less staff.

But we all know it hasn't worked out that way in hotels since they reduced housekeeping, so it won't happen on cruises either

Between higher fares, higher DSC and a reduction in services we shall see if people stop booking. Throw into that mix the sky high air fare if one has to fly. The days of cruising as a vacation that didn’t break the bank is coming to an end.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Surprised 🙀 not at all.  This is consistent with hospitality trending elsewhere, realigning of service level.  Perhaps, there will be a "new" self-service element next to these, soon thereafter, i.e. towel exchange, trash disposa, etc. to hold down further increases in DSC. Hahaha 😂

Welcome to the new $40 daily fees for 2 in "steerage" cabins for 2023, shared by many behind the scenes.  The great "Takeaway" version 4.1b

How does this fit the tagline of going above and beyond as vacation heros, some of us will need to really look harder & think about it. 

• Like 4

I hope they will allow guests to select an am or pm housekeeping.  Personally I’d give up am service for a nightly turndown. I like coming back to a cabin with the lights on, bed turned down, fresh towels, a new Daily, and sometimes a surprise treat.

And, of course we would be on the first ship to adopt this policy.  Epic in February.  Since we booked this cruise, DSC went up $4 pp/pd, daily service reduced by 50%, complimentary daily breakfast went from free to $4.95+20%, and they eliminated the major off-broadway production of Priscilla.  I understand the need to regain a positive cash balance…but holy cow.  NCL is the new Fed.  Except NCL is contributing to consumer spending…or, perhaps, not for long.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, AwesomO said:

this is going to be a little annoying for those of us using the extra beds- couch or Pullmans. means they'll either set it up or put it away, but not both. 

I agree- I would imagine they are harder to set up than put away? Maybe they will do the service as a turn down and not clean in the morning?  The you just have to put it away? Humm

9 minutes ago, AwesomO said:

this is going to be a little annoying for those of us using the extra beds- couch or Pullmans. means they'll either set it up or put it away, but not both. 

When we stay at a hotel with sofa sleeper, we've always had to pull it out at night.  Takes about 1 minute.  Are the convertible beds on a ship more difficult?  I've never used one.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AwesomO said:

My guess is they stay down or setup.

16 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

This would be true if the evening "service" required the same time/effort as the morning service.  It does not.  

Yes, but it was more dramatic to say 50%. I’m taking lessons from you 🤣
BTW, you’re being extra generous on this thread.  Your New Years resolution?

Edited by laudergayle
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

When we stay at a hotel with sofa sleeper, we've always had to pull it out at night.  Takes about 1 minute.  Are the convertible beds on a ship more difficult?  I've never used one.

not sure about a cruise, but hotel rooms tend to have a little more space to move around which helps. but besides the couch, the Pullmans especially seem more annoying. We didn't need it on our last cruise, but our family used it in their inside room and it was very tight in there while it was down. Sheets day for my kids' bunk bed is one of my least favorite chores, so not excited to deal with that on vacation. 

it's not a deal breaker, obviously, and other cruise lines are making similar changes. But I think it's fair to feel a little annoyed about it, particularly as all the little changes here and there keep adding up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Daily Service Charges increased by 25% and at the same time...cabin cleaning service is cut by 50%. Why is anyone surprised? NCL is the leader of squeezing every possible penny out of customers and reducing the services and items offered at the same time.

They're not the leader in this, at least. RCL started it first 

4 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

There appears to be no end to all the cutbacks. As long as people willingly keep paying more for less the cruises lines will do whatever it takes to increase their margins. I really wish I could break this cruising addiction.

Called shrinkflation. It is everywhere around you, if you have not noticed. It is because of the massive, uncontrolled inflation caused by the current US. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2