Meraviglia 12/23-12/30 - big let down

hollyalyn

8 hours ago, agentJoey said:

Cruising on this ship in January first time on MSC. Hope it is better. Seems MSC gets alot of negative reviews

It is easy to seperate the useless reviews from the useful. Just click on the profile, if somebody registered 30 minutes before and has exactly one post certainly this can be ignored. Not worth to think if there really was a dead animal in the salad 😄

The good thing about a board like this, you get to know the people. At the moment @morpheusofthesea and @Stockjock write reviews, just two examples of highly reputable people sharing their precious opinions with us. So many others that can be fully trusted, just ignore the Register-Rant-Disappear-People. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've traveled on MSC ships about six times and found them to be very similar to other cruise lines. One thing that seems to be happening is that some cruise lines tend NOT to do fire sales if the ship is only half full while others will discount heavily. The problems then happen when you have a huge fluctuation from week to week. This seems to be what happens on MSC more than the others. They keep their staffing the same with 1,000 or 3,300 passengers. They also don't seem to keep up with adequate food ordering. Then, when there is a surge in passengers, everyone is frustrated. That exact scenario happened to us in March and it seems to be reoccurring now. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

They keep their staffing the same with 1,000 or 3,300 passengers.

I'm confused by this statement.  Are you saying that MSC can bring on more crew if there's a passenger surge but they aren't doing so for some reason?  I guess I just thought that MSC are facing the same human resource shortages that many industries are facing both on land and sea.  Though I don't really know enough about how the cruise industry hiring works...

Many cruise lines are faced with this problem of wildly fluctuating passenger counts. Some continue to sell cabins and reduce the prices to just fill up cabins. Others don't reduce the price in the last month. I noted NCL didn't reduce the price of our 12 day Med cruise in November. We sailed at about 50%.  I really thought there would be a price reduction, but it stayed steady. The result was great service. 

MSC seems to want to fill every cabin knowing their staff is overwhelmed. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I'm confused by this statement.  Are you saying that MSC can bring on more crew if there's a passenger surge but they aren't doing so for some reason?  I guess I just thought that MSC are facing the same human resource shortages that many industries are facing both on land and sea.  Though I don't really know enough about how the cruise industry hiring works...

I think it is not easy. They surely will try to bring more staff at peak times as @Stockjock wrote right now from the Virtuosa. 

But the Virtuosa is sailing her tour from November to summer next year with roughly 2500 to 3500 pax. Just in these two weeks now there are 6000 or more. Not easy to handle this for sure. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Many cruise lines are faced with this problem of wildly fluctuating passenger counts. Some continue to sell cabins and reduce the prices to just fill up cabins. Others don't reduce the price in the last month. I noted NCL didn't reduce the price of our 12 day Med cruise in November. We sailed at about 50%.  I really thought there would be a price reduction, but it stayed steady. The result was great service. 

MSC seems to want to fill every cabin knowing their staff is overwhelmed. 

Your reply fits many pieces of the puzzle. If NCL is playing the long game and thinking retaining loyal passengers and attracting the new but not cheap as heck looky loo's cruisers is worth taking loses now if they can survive.

• Like 2

I'm cruising on the Meraviglia this coming weekend. My husband and I have only cruised YC with MSC and chose this short weekend cruise in regular class because we have an RCL booked in February and wanted a quick getaway. Also, we wanted to see what it's like outside of YC. I love cruising so, I'm going to have fun no matter what. But, these reviews are something else. Did people research the cruise line before embarkation? Are some just complaining to complain? I'm optimistic about this coming weekend, especially since we have not cruised since 2019. Sometimes, (or always) you get what you pay for. It seems like people want more for less. Maybe spend a little more money or stick with Carnival 🤷.

• Like 3

I have 43 days on the Meraviglia in the last 14 months. It's one of my favorite ships ever.

When I started sailing her in November of 2021, there were only about 1,000 passengers aboard. I kind of liked it. There was never a line for anything.

When I returned in late March 2022, the first 10 days out of 14 went beautifully, with many more passengers. However, as we were returning from the mandatory customs exercise, the cruise director was making an announcement to the staff regarding the oncoming passengers. He probably didn't realize the back to back passengers had reboarded. He ended the speech with "may the odds ever be in your favor". It didn't take long to see what he was referring to.

The ship was overrun by Spring Breakers. The college students were actually fairly well behaved but the mob of kids were NOT. They liked to bang on my door for some reason (actually everyone's door I think) while playing hide and seek. So instead of doing the fun things on the ship they just played hide and seek in the halls. Parents were no where to be found, but were probably in a bar. All the milk was gone by day 2, and OJ by day 3. Poor planning? Absolutely.

I just finished another 14 days in December. I was pleased with how it went with the exception of the dining room. I only went one night and left in the middle of the meal after 3 of us were served nearly raw fish, and the waiter did not return after taking our plates. I actually like the buffet, there's a lot of healthy food there, so it wasn't a big deal. My room steward was outstanding and the one who did the adjacent rooms was super friendly so I talked to her daily. The specialty restaurants were excellent, even Ocean Cay (seafood) which I had not liked that much previously. The bar staff, which I only used on Ocean Cay, was amazing!

I was very pleased with the cruise until the unfortunate overboard you have all heard about. I thought MSC did an excellent job with the search and handling the passengers and crew until the search ended - with the exception of the cruise director, a former NFL cheerleader who was clearly out of her safe zone. When disembarking began, the lines were long and tempers were flaring, but the CD continued to call numbers. There were fights, panic attacks, and a lot of upset and tired people, many of which were afraid of missing their flights, and I am sure many did. I didn't get off the ship until after 1, and barely made the airport transfer I had booked through MSC. However I had changed my flight with the help of the front desk from 2pm to 7pm, so I was not in a bind. That saved me any change fee, which online had been over $1K. 

I think MSC is a very good cruise line and I will be back many more times. Do they need to improve their handling of full ships and emergency situations? Absolutely, but my understanding is all cruise lines are having staffing problems. Princess had to delay the redeployment of one of their ships by several months due to staffing shortages, and that was last fall. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, tkwbear said:

Absolutely, but my understanding is all cruise lines are having staffing problems. 

Yes. I haven't been cruising lately, so I can't comment on the staffing problems of ships; however, staffing problems are everywhere on land still, which logically would spill over to the cruise lines. 

This line right here is why I don't really give much credence to the review:  "Heard on last day they were short 500 crew members - unacceptable!"

Anyone who has simply existed in the world since the pandemic started knows there have been many staffing issues, supply chain dispuptions, etc. I'm not sure how much a cruiseline can do on short notice when they have an at-capacity holiday sailing and come up short on the crew.

twkbear

I only went one night and left in the middle of the meal after 3 of us were served nearly raw fish, and the waiter did not return after taking our plates.

That is truly scary. I'm beginning to think maybe the lowest crew members decide making this food or doing that in housekeeper takes the most time so just say fudge it we are out of that item. Having a cook or waiter knowingly deciding to cook and serve nearly raw meat/fish/poultry and cross contamination is mind blowing. 

22 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Wow!  I would love to see a pic of that!  Not calling you a liar, but that is certainly something one has to see in order to believe.  Cruising  isn't for everyone but there's only one way to find out.  I guess now you know.  🙂

I found a roach in the drink station overflow once on the Carnival Glory, so it is possible,  but it is not only MSC!

1 hour ago, CruiseScrooge said:

T

1 hour ago, CruiseScrooge said:

I don't think they decided to do it. It was the recommended fish of the evening, blackened baramundi or some other fish. They evidently got the outside dark and thought it was done.  It's just inexperience.

6 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I found a roach in the drink station overflow once on the Carnival Glory, so it is possible,  but it is not only MSC!

I had a dead bug in my salad on an ncl cruise. It was quite crunchy when chewing it.

I got it out of my mouth and my wife said that a stone. I said look closer, the stone has legs. lol I survived.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 1/2/2023 at 1:20 PM, CTGirl74 said:

Yes. I haven't been cruising lately, so I can't comment on the staffing problems of ships; however, staffing problems are everywhere on land still, which logically would spill over to the cruise lines. 

This line right here is why I don't really give much credence to the review:  "Heard on last day they were short 500 crew members - unacceptable!"

Anyone who has simply existed in the world since the pandemic started knows there have been many staffing issues, supply chain dispuptions, etc. I'm not sure how much a cruiseline can do on short notice when they have an at-capacity holiday sailing and come up short on the crew.

Then they should not fill to capacity . Nor charge the higher holiday rates if they cannot provide the services they advertise 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think this is a product of MSC not added staff when the ship is more crowded.  We experienced that same issues when the Mera just came back to the US.  The first 3 night of our 10 night was completely full and the service was horrible even in the YC.  MSC does not staff for a full ship since the ships have not been full most of the times.  They do not just add crew for the busier cruises.  

I have only cruise twice on MSC, Meraviglia and Divina.  There is only a few things that I love about the line.  First its their private Island.  The best I have encountered. The second is their prices for solo, amazing.  Everything else I am not impressed with.  The food some is good, some is ok, but some is just bad.  I do think their cakes are done way better then any line I have been on.  

I already have a cruise booked with them for November.  I am happy they are coming to NYC.  

Edited by cruiseelady

I'm sure that the logistics of adding or removing staff based on passenger capacity would be a nightmare. I expect they would try and keep their ships staffed to a certain level at all times. That doesn't explain major shortages, however. Like any hospitality provider, they should know how many people will be on the ship and have fairly reliable projections on what they need to source to provide for them. I'm cruising on the Meraviglia in February, so I'll get to form my own opinion soon enough.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2022 at 8:08 PM, JT1962 said:

Cruising during a holiday or when school is out is never a good idea. Many complaints from all cruise lines about overcrowded ships, staff shortages, supply issues, etc. 

cruised other lines over holidays several times and NEVER experienced poor service or lack of supplies.  I think the OP is correct in stating not ok… you pay more during these time and they should be prepared to serve crowds. 

On 1/5/2023 at 12:38 PM, hollyalyn said:

Then they should not fill to capacity . Nor charge the higher holiday rates if they cannot provide the services they advertise 

It's like telling the airlines not to fill to capacity, or a hotel.  After 2+ years of hemorrhaging money they are going to capitalize on revenue when they can get it.  Are they going to lose some customers over it?  Yes, but overall they are trying to recoup the losses.

6 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

It's like telling the airlines not to fill to capacity, or a hotel.  After 2+ years of hemorrhaging money they are going to capitalize on revenue when they can get it.  Are they going to lose some customers over it?  Yes, but overall they are trying to recoup the losses.

I respect that, but if you don't have the staffing then you shouldn't fill all cabins 

If an airline doesn't have enough staff for the flight they cancel it 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 1:20 PM, CTGirl74 said:

It’s quite simple actually. Cruise lines can not sell out the ship if they don’t have enough staff to handle it. 
It was pretty obvious that the crew on our sold out sailing was exhausted and over worked.
Heard “under staffed” from officers and managers alike when we spoke to them. 

The problem with the cruise lines is they really don’t care about being under staffed. Not just MSC, all of them.
They don’t care that it impacts their already over worked crew negatively and that the cruise experience for paying customers is also negatively impacted. 

Been on 40+ cruises and have been a big cheerleader since first cruising with MSC but until you yourself experience what these folks did and what we did a couple of weeks ago you really shouldn’t dismiss these reports. 

I’m not here to change anyone’s mind and I doubt the OP is either. It’s important for everyone to know all experiences good and bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2023 at 11:54 AM, Lisi15 said:

I'm cruising on the Meraviglia this coming weekend. My husband and I have only cruised YC with MSC and chose this short weekend cruise in regular class because we have an RCL booked in February and wanted a quick getaway. Also, we wanted to see what it's like outside of YC. I love cruising so, I'm going to have fun no matter what. But, these reviews are something else. Did people research the cruise line before embarkation? Are some just complaining to complain? I'm optimistic about this coming weekend, especially since we have not cruised since 2019. Sometimes, (or always) you get what you pay for. It seems like people want more for less. Maybe spend a little more money or stick with Carnival 🤷.

Look forward to hearing about your experience.   Enjoy!!