Cruise Terminal Porters

Scotico

On 1/6/2023 at 8:08 AM, Airbear232 said:

Really depends on what level of service you’re looking for.  If you want that Walmart experience, then you’re right.  But if you want a higher level of service then no.  Service professionals aren’t going anywhere, we live in a service economy. 

I definitely wouldn’t call a porter a service professional.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 9:44 AM, topnole said:

They do more than load load luggage on cruise ships.  They work cargo ships or any other ships in that port.   It can be a pretty dangerous job.  

You aren’t tipping them for their cargo jobs are you?

On 1/6/2023 at 12:28 PM, Jasukkie said:

It's easy to look at a salary and think the person doesn't need a tip, but I don't think a lot of these workers are going to last 40 years doing this type of labor. You are only lifting your own bags, imagine doing that all day? No thanks. I give $10 if it's just me with one bag, up to $40 if we're rolling up like the Beverly Hillbillies. 

It’s the job they signed up for. Do you also tip the behind the scenes people that lift your bags after the porter has put it on the cart? I prefer to tip the ship crew and might stop tipping the porters. The ship crew work their arses off. Yes I know it’s the job they signed up for, but it’s way better than being in poverty like some of them came from.

On 1/6/2023 at 3:42 PM, moposh said:

When I went on a cruise from Miami, the porter was very aggressive about a tip.  I didn't understand I had to tip.  Or should tip.  And I didn't.  When I got in the terminal I asked the lady if I was to leave my luggage with the people outside.  She said yes.  I was very concerned my luggage wouldn't make it to my room.  

It was a very confusing situation and crowded and I was totally unaware that I was supposed to tip and I didn't like the aggressiveness of the porter.

You aren’t required to tip them and I’m sorry that they were aggressive with you.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2023 at 8:17 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

…- When the carts are full, they transport those carts to the ship and hand them over to the onboard staff.  This involves driving a ... not forklift, but I don't know what to call the little cart.  That might require a certification of some sort.  

- They answer questions and keep people moving through the confusing terminal parking lot. 

As in most jobs, when the guys are doing their work well, much of what they do is "invisible".  

Something that occurs to the evil portion of my brain:  If I were a porter and wanted to "mess with someone" who was rude to me, I wouldn't set aside that person's luggage ... that would be noticed.  No, if I wanted to mess with someone, I'd pull off the luggage tag and put the suitcases in the wrong cart.  This would delay the problem passenger's luggage and force them to hunt for their stuff.  Not that I think anyone's doing this ... but it would "fly under the radar", whereas leaving a suitcase on the sidewalk would not.  

Yes, they do keep things moving in the terminal parking lot, which isn't the most calm or pleasant part of a cruise.  

My husband is no longer able to carry luggage.  I'm super-grateful that I am physically able to manage our things, but I'm glad to know that help is available.  

The porters that you tip aren’t the ones that transport your luggage to the ship. They definitely don’t follow it thru the scanner and to the cart that gets loaded onto the ship. Instead they stay out front, put it on the cart all the while having their hand out for a tip for doing their job. Tips aren’t required, but if you want to that’s fine. Just don’t think that the porters do more than simply take your luggage and put it on the cart.

19 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

It's funny, these type of threads rarely change anyone's behavior.  In this instance it has changed mine.  I will probably stop tipping when dropping my bags off.  Intellectually I have always known that these are longshoremen who are handling our bags but tipping is so in grained into my thinking I just did it without thinking all the way through.  I won't be tipping them anymore.

I have a set amount I tip every cruise.  I bring a collection of $1's $5's, and $20's specifically for tipping.  The amount I don't tip the longshoremen will simply go to Cruiseline employee's I interact with.  Thanks to everyone for this good discussion. 

I’m headed in that direction also. It wasn’t this thread but previous ones. The tipping is getting out of hand.

19 hours ago, Longford said:

You're fantasizing if you think porters ... luggage handlers ... at cruise terminals are earning six-figure salaries.  LOL!

Do you have first hand knowledge?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

All of my kids worked at a garden center starting at 14, the boys got tipped very well for carrying stuff to cars, a fortune during Christmas tree season (brutal work). My girls were cashiers but sometimes got tips, especially if they walked around with the customers. Once a customer came back to tip my daughter after my daughter drove her and her plants home (no car).

If someone wants to tip people that’s fine, but when I saw the tip jar at the register I thought it was funny. I’m sure those tips are split up with the employees which means the harder working one only get the same amount as the others.

5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I definitely wouldn’t call a porter a service professional.

The Sanitation Engineer who collects our garbage each week might disagree.

So might the Transparency Enhancement Facilitator who cleans our windows.

And not to mention the our Director of first impressions - our Receptionist.

Heading off now to get a drink from the Beverage Dissemination Officer! Cheers! 🥂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

You aren’t tipping them for their cargo jobs are you?

It’s the job they signed up for. Do you also tip the behind the scenes people that lift your bags after the porter has put it on the cart? I prefer to tip the ship crew and might stop tipping the porters. The ship crew work their arses off. Yes I know it’s the job they signed up for, but it’s way better than being in poverty like some of them came from.

You aren’t required to tip them and I’m sorry that they were aggressive with you.

Why would anyone tip a longshoreman for their other work?   I don’t even understand your question.  FYI.  It isn’t a different job.   It is the same job with varying duties.  My comment was in the context of some who assume they are just cruise ship porters.   Their job responsibilities vary greatly depending on the person and the port.  

• Like 2

On 1/6/2023 at 7:11 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

EXCELLENT question. 

Myself, personally, do.not tip them, unless they do something above and beyond their job description. Getting my bag from the sidewalk to the ship is quite literally their job description  

Well, not entirely.  Their job on the day you arrive is to get your bag from the sidewalk onto a luggage cart or "cage."   There may be some autonomy in the sense that they may have to fill out a luggage tag for you if you didn't bring yours, or determine the correct cart to put your bags on.  But for that individual longshoreman on that day, there's not much more to it.    True, they may also work cargo vessels on a "slow day" for cruises, but the cruise terminal porters at embarkation have the highest seniority within the union and get to choose working the sidewalk, which is far and away the easiest -- and best-paid -- job at any port with passenger facilities.   One wonders if all of those tips get reported, too.  

I tip $1 per bag, or if we have 3 or more checked items, $5.  I know who they work for (ILA, since all of my cruises have been Florida departures), and I know how much they get paid...which is a LOT more than I make.   

HOWEVER...back when Carnival had Faster to the Fun and its prioritized-to-cabin luggage service, if a porter saw the FTTF blazon on our luggage tags and accordingly strapped the orange "Priority" tag onto our luggage, I'd immediately tip an additional $5, and I made sure he knew exactly why:   it constitutes service a bit above and beyond the norm, since they don't work for the cruise line and really don't have to care much about cruise line procedures.  It's not as if the cruise line can fire them, right?  

On 1/6/2023 at 11:17 AM, Longford said:

Also, all checked luggage should be locked, to minimize the risks of pilfering and theft.

Umm, no.  Not since 9/11, anyway.  

It's generally recommended that checked luggage be securely closed, but not locked.   If TSA or security personnel want to get into your luggage and it's locked, too bad.  They will break the lock and go inside.   

I've considered attaching a zip-tie to the closure instead, not so much as an anti-theft deterrent but as a telltale that my luggage was opened or inspected.  

Edited by Pellaz
Clarifications
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, crazyank said:

Ummmm, Yes,  Please post where you got that recommendation?

It was once recommended by the TSA. Now they warn you if they can’t get into your luggage your lock may be broken. If you use an approved lock the TSA can get in. Right after 9/11 a lot of people did not have approved locks. I had a hardside suitcase with a combination lock. If TSA had decided to inspect they would have ruined the case so I stopped locking it. Also if TSA goes into your bag they leave an inspection notice. Has that a couple of times. 

At port embarkation it is not TSA. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

It was once recommended by the TSA. Now they warn you if they can’t get into your luggage your lock may be broken. If you use an approved lock the TSA can get in. Right after 9/11 a lot of people did not have approved locks. I had a hardside suitcase with a combination lock. If TSA had decided to inspect they would have ruined the case so I stopped locking it. Also if TSA goes into your bag they leave an inspection notice. Has that a couple of times. 

At port embarkation it is not TSA. 

Exactly this, at the port they can’t open your bag without your presence. 
My bags are always locked 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pellaz said:

It's generally recommended that checked luggage be securely closed, but not locked.   If TSA or security personnel want to get into your luggage and it's locked, too bad.  They will break the lock and go inside.   

I've considered attaching a zip-tie to the closure instead, not so much as an anti-theft deterrent but as a telltale that my luggage was opened or inspected.  

That is for flying, not cruising.  We always lock our bags (35 cruises) and have never had any issues with it.  I do it to keep the zipper from getting caught on something and pulling open.  Cruise lines do not follow TSA rules.  As in, no limits on liquids, you don't have to take your shoes off and you can lock your luggage.  The Cruise lines rarely open any bag.  What they do is if they find something, they can call you to GS or you have to go to the naughty room, open the bag and show them what is in it.  If it's something illegal, and not just against their rules, they can make you go ashore and deal with shoreside security and police.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I’ve had a ported tell me that he was the one who would take my bag safely to my room while having his hand out. Having sailed plenty of times before I knew it wasn’t true. I asked since when are porters allowed on the ship? He turned and walked away and put my bags on the cart. Never said anything to me after that. Sorry you were told this. 

Great way have your bags go missing. 

17 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Exactly this, at the port they can’t open your bag without your presence. 
My bags are always locked 

Sorry, this isn't true.  

On my last cruise I had two terrifying articles of contraband in my checked luggage:  a pair of medium-sized scissors, and a power-strip.  My bag was very late getting to the cabin and when it did, there was a note inside stating those items had been confiscated.  (Honestly, I didn't think the scissors would be an issue since they were shorter than the TSA blade minimum, and I thought the power-strip, not containing any surge-protection, would be okay.)  

The items, I was told, were not aboard the ship, but would be returned to me at the cruise terminal if I went to retrieve them.    So, the cruise terminal security folks opened the bag without my being present.   It was not cruise-ship personnel onboard the ship.   

Since it would have required a walk over to the Arrivals side of the terminal, I didn't bother retrieving them.  They presumably ended up at that unclaimed baggage warehouse in Alabama...and I learned a valuable lesson.  🙂  

Edited by Pellaz

2 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Sorry, this isn't true.  

On my last cruise I had two terrifying articles of contraband in my checked luggage:  a pair of medium-sized scissors, and a power-strip.  My bag was very late getting to the cabin and when it did, there was a note inside stating those items had been confiscated.  (Honestly, I didn't think the scissors would be an issue since they were shorter than the TSA blade minimum, and I thought the power-strip, not containing any surge-protection, would be okay.)  

The items, I was told, were not aboard the ship, but would be returned to me at the cruise terminal if I went to retrieve them.    So, the cruise terminal security folks opened the bag without my being present.   It was not cruise-ship personnel onboard the ship.   

Since it would have required a walk over to the Arrivals side of the terminal, I didn't bother retrieving them.  They presumably ended up at that unclaimed baggage warehouse in Alabama...and I learned a valuable lesson.  🙂  

I stand corrected- this doesn’t change the true point of the post; my bags are always locked; which requires my presence to be opened 

On 1/8/2023 at 9:38 PM, topnole said:

Why would anyone tip a longshoreman for their other work?   I don’t even understand your question.  FYI.  It isn’t a different job.   It is the same job with varying duties.  My comment was in the context of some who assume they are just cruise ship porters.   Their job responsibilities vary greatly depending on the person and the port.  

Porters at the cruise ship terminals do not also offload cargo ships.  They're not "longshoremen" as the term is often applied.  "Longshoremen" work, primarily, at cargo offloading terminals operating fork lifts, cranes, heavy equipment.  Multiple unions represent Porters, and some Porters are not union members.  Longshoremen, Teamsters, Transport Workers, etc., these unions represent multiple work groups in a single local union ... and wage scales vary by job description.  Tip a porter, don't tip a porter ... it's an individual choice.  But don't believe that the porter who takes your bag makes six figures.  Not unless you're smoking some weed, or a bottle of alcohol.  LOL!

On 1/9/2023 at 2:10 AM, Pellaz said:

Luggage locks sold today, most, are TSA approved and TSA has keys to open them if necessary.  Use old, outdated locks ... yes, they'll break them.  TSA approved locks are sold everywhere, and recommended.

51 minutes ago, Longford said:

No, they don't.

Longshoremen load and unload ships at ports. Both cargo ships and passenger ships. Members of the longshoremen’s union hold jobs by seniority. That could be freight cargo or passenger cargo. The most senior workers have first choice. So some choose to work passenger cargo and others freight cargo. Those workers at ports who take the luggage are longshoremen. Maybe in a port like Port Everglades they do the same job every day. But in a port like Baltimore for example with two cruise ships a week they could be taking luggage one day and freight cargo other days. As far as their wages if they work enough days and hours some with the most seniority could be making six figures. Probably the newest hires are not but the old hands could be. 

Edited by Charles4515

20 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I stand corrected- this doesn’t change the true point of the post; my bags are always locked; which requires my presence to be opened 

Well, no.  If they deem it necessary to open your luggage at the pier and you're at Sorrento's enjoying that first slice of pizza, they're not going to wait and call you back to the pier.  They'll simply break your lock, or open it if it's "TSA approved."   Your presence is not required.  

4 hours ago, Longford said:

Porters at the cruise ship terminals do not also offload cargo ships.  They're not "longshoremen" as the term is often applied.  "Longshoremen" work, primarily, at cargo offloading terminals operating fork lifts, cranes, heavy equipment.

The "porters" at cruise terminals most definitely ARE longshoremen and members of one of the two longshoremens' unions in the U.S.   For the East Coast, that'd be ILA, the International Longshoremens' Association:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Longshoremen's_Association   

For the West Coast, that would be ILWU.  Per the article they are "the lords of the docks," average salary is $171,000 for its 15,000 employees:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Longshore_and_Warehouse_Union  

Multiple unions represent Porters

Yes, where "multiple" = 2.  😄 

[...] and some Porters are not union members. 

Name the U.S. port -- ANY U.S. port -- where cruise terminal luggage handlers are not union members.  Just one will suffice.  

But don't believe that the porter who takes your bag makes six figures.  Not unless you're smoking some weed, or a bottle of alcohol.  LOL!

Or, y'know, we actually read factual accounts.   See above.   

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2023 at 10:25 AM, BND said:

That is for flying, not cruising.  We always lock our bags (35 cruises) and have never had any issues with it.  I do it to keep the zipper from getting caught on something and pulling open.  Cruise lines do not follow TSA rules.  As in, no limits on liquids, you don't have to take your shoes off and you can lock your luggage.  The Cruise lines rarely open any bag.  What they do is if they find something, they can call you to GS or you have to go to the naughty room, open the bag and show them what is in it.  If it's something illegal, and not just against their rules, they can make you go ashore and deal with shoreside security and police.  

This is absolutely correct as it happened to us on the Allure in October.  Husband has a locked suitcase and they saw something on the scanner and he had to go to naughty room.  It was a box with whiskey in it that he won in a pre cruise work related benefit.  Packed it up in his snorkel bag for secure means and completely forgot about it.

• Like 1

The "porters" at cruise terminals most definitely ARE longshoremen and members of one of the two longshoremens' unions in the U.S.   For the East Coast, that'd be ILA, the International Longshoremens' Association: 

One thing to note from longshore contracts is that the "straight time" wage is only paid for hours worked between 8am-5pm Monday thru FridayAny hours worked after 5pm on weekdays, or any hours on Saturday/Sunday/Holidays, whether it's the first hour or the 12th hour worked, is paid at the overtime rate.  This weekend overtime rate applies even if the weekend hours are the first the worker worked that week (in other words it does not require 40 hours to be worked before kicking in).

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, no.  If they deem it necessary to open your luggage at the pier and you're at Sorrento's enjoying that first slice of pizza, they're not going to wait and call you back to the pier.  They'll simply break your lock, or open it if it's "TSA approved."   Your presence is not required.  

The "porters" at cruise terminals most definitely ARE longshoremen and members of one of the two longshoremens' unions in the U.S.   For the East Coast, that'd be ILA, the International Longshoremens' Association:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Longshoremen's_Association   

For the West Coast, that would be ILWU.  Per the article they are "the lords of the docks," average salary is $171,000 for its 15,000 employees:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Longshore_and_Warehouse_Union  

Yes, where "multiple" = 2. 

No, they won’t. They do not have TSA keys; and they won’t break the lock-they will set the bag aside until you come to inquire about it. 

I love the rest of your post, it reiterates what I have been trying to convey throughout this thread in a very concise manner. 

There has been a time or two when I was not prepared with small bills in order to tip. I have always felt a little bad about it. One time a porter actually asked me "What, no tip?" I will admit, I was nervous if my bag was going to make it onboard. Since then, I am always prepared, and do, tip. 

This interesting thread definitely has me thinking and reconsidering, realizing I tip them because it's expected, and I feel obligated

• Like 1

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No, they won’t. They do not have TSA keys; and they won’t break the lock-they will set the bag aside until you come to inquire about it. 

I love the rest of your post, it reiterates what I have been trying to convey throughout this thread in a very concise manner. 

I don’t know what they have but from about 20 years of group cruises there was often someone called to the naughty room. My luggage was never there but I went with group members to assist them. A pain in the neck but there was always a 30 minute line and the bag was opened by the group member and inspected in front of them. If they unlocked and inspected bags out of site why would they have to have a naughty room? None ever had items removed from their bag by the cruise line on the dock before they were loaded on the ship. A cruise line has never asked us that bags be unlocked. That was something the TSA was recommending at airports before TSA approved locks became common. If the TSA at an airport wants to break my TSA lock it is no biggie. Not expensive and every bag I buy has had one included. I carry a spare in case they did break one to have for the return flight

Also bags are sitting out in hallways for a while at the beginning and end of cruises. I would not want to tempt anyone with unlocked bags. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2