For 2023, did the complimentary lobster tail change from warm/spiny to cold/Maine tails like RCI?

NutsAboutGolf

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

With their cuts of lobster for cruises under 7 days and for non US markets , one has to wonder if the next cut is not cutting out lobster altogether.

They are only one (1) lobster per person away from doing that!  Just off Beyond  for a 7 day cruise and we did get a small lobster on the second 'chic' night.  Glad we still got one.  

Personally, I like the Escargots and can get them each night, but I do remember eating a few lobsters on the 'old' formal evenings format.  Now, as I recall, additional lobsters were offered at $15  for each extra.

Edited by shipshape sam

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

With their cuts of lobster for cruises under 7 days and for non US markets , one has to wonder if the next cut is not cutting out lobster altogether.

I know the Celebrity app is wrong more than its right, but it does not show any lobster tails in MDR or Luminae for our June Equinox cruise. 

With all of the changes to dining on Celebrity, Royal is soon going to overtake Celebrity in the food category.  Having never sailed Royal I can't say how the food quality and taste compares to Celebrity but Royal's new MDR menus look pretty good.

29 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I know the Celebrity app is wrong more than its right, but it does not show any lobster tails in MDR or Luminae for our June Equinox cruise. 

Luminae and the MDR are showing lobster on Day 6 of our April Millennium sailing.  However, take that with a grain of salt as it is a 15 night cruise and the menu only goes up to day 7. 

21 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

With all of the changes to dining on Celebrity, Royal is soon going to overtake Celebrity in the food category.  Having never sailed Royal I can't say how the food quality and taste compares to Celebrity but Royal's new MDR menus look pretty good.

That's what I find so weird about the whole situation.  Celebrity had a reputation for good food everywhere - MDR, buffet, room service, and specialty outlets.  They have seemed awfully willing to throw it away, all at once, for what?  Cost cutting?  Looking environmentally friendly?  Forcing everyone into the MDR??  Don't tell LLP I said this, but it all smells of a mandate from her boss demanding cuts and having no better options.

P.S.  I've only been on Royal once.  The food was all right in the buffet and room service - good selection, decent executive.  I thought Celebrity was better in both departments, but I haven't sailed them since the beginning of the year and its changes.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Luminae and the MDR are showing lobster on Day 6 of our April Millennium sailing.  However, take that with a grain of salt as it is a 15 night cruise and the menu only goes up to day 7. 

My Equinox app shows MDR on day 5 "Seafood and Lobster Pappardelle"  as the only menu item with lobster in the ingredients. Have no idea what this is. In Luminae day 3 there is a Lobster salad listed as a starter and that is the only lobster all week. Day 6 in Luminae there is a Surf and Turf of "Sea scallops and Pork Belly." 

16 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

My Equinox app shows MDR on day 5 "Seafood and Lobster Pappardelle"  as the only menu item with lobster in the ingredients. Have no idea what this is. In Luminae day 3 there is a Lobster salad listed as a starter and that is the only lobster all week. Day 6 in Luminae there is a Surf and Turf of "Sea scallops and Pork Belly." 

Forget the Seafood and Lobster Pappardelle.  Had it on the Connie this month.  No discernable lobster present.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Lobster on the menu in Luminae tonight on Equinox. Listed as Butter Poached Lobster.  It is probably the spiny version.  We will miss it as we dine in Tuscan Grill tonight.  We dined at Murano this week and dw ordered lobster.  It was prepared at the table.  It was definitely the spiny tail. Small. 

Edited by TeeRick

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

One wonders if that 18% gratuity goes to the lobster's family.  

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Compared to HAL who charge for your first lobster in MDR (also charging for steak in MDR) plus extra charges for second main course in specialty restaurants.

6 minutes ago, OysterD said:

Compared to HAL who charge for your first lobster in MDR (also charging for steak in MDR) plus extra charges for second main course in specialty restaurants.

I would rather them give me a choice (pay for it) vs. not offering it.  No lobster is offered on my next X cruise.

Lobster is even gone from Le Petit Chef where you pay.

Edited by NMTraveller

2 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I would rather them charge me for it and give me a choice vs. not offering it.  No lobster on my next X cruise.

I admit I grew up in the Boston area and go to Maine every year.  I would venture to say that we have rarely been served real cold water lobster (with claws) on cruises.  Unless advertised as such specifically.  We had real lobster on a Canada and NE cruise, and once in Fine Cut on Edge.  The Spiny or Caribbean lobster served on most Celebrity cruises is not even classified as lobster.  It is a large crawfish.  A different species and family entirely.  So Lobster night in the MDR is actually Crawfish night.  False advertising.  Unless from the Southern US would people really order crawfish?  I find it funny that there are so many threads about lobster or extra charges here.  Do most people know what they are actually eating?

13 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I would rather them give me a choice (pay for it) vs. not offering it.  No lobster is offered on my next X cruise.

You'd complain either way. You've previously said you don't like lobster in the mdr but the one in Murano isn't the worst, so just go to Murano then if you don't mind paying for a lobster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, OysterD said:

You'd complain either way. You've previously said you don't like lobster in the mdr but the one in Murano isn't the worst, so just go to Murano then if you don't mind paying for a lobster.

There is no Murano on my next cruise.  I do not see any lobster on my next cruise anyplace.

And if you look at the pricing of specialty restaurants I doubt that I will be eating in there every night.

Warm water lobster vs tilapia, I will choose the warm water lobster.  I would even pay for premium cuts of fish or beef in the MDR .  I would pay the fee for a Maine lobster like Royal has on some ships.

However I will save most of my money for in port dining.  Much more of a selection.

Edited by NMTraveller

24 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I admit I grew up in the Boston area and go to Maine every year.  I would venture to say that we have rarely been served real cold water lobster (with claws) on cruises.  Unless advertised as such specifically.  We had real lobster on a Canada and NE cruise, and once in Fine Cut on Edge.  The Spiny or Caribbean lobster served on most Celebrity cruises is not even classified as lobster.  It is a large crawfish.  A different species and family entirely.  So Lobster night in the MDR is actually Crawfish night.  False advertising.  Unless from the Southern US would people really order crawfish?  I find it funny that there are so many threads about lobster or extra charges here.  Do most people know what they are actually eating?

Regarding lobster night, I believe it was the cruise lines that made a big deal about it and everyone followed.  

I agree with the Maine lobster.  It is being served on some Royal ships for a charge.  I could go for that.

Why is Celebrity behind Royal on MDR?  Trying to figure that one out.

Edited by NMTraveller

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

No lobster menu in Petite Chef? Oh no. We did it in May and wanted to do it again this May.

Laura

4 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

You know what they say, you can't tell a book by its' cover.