For 2023, did the complimentary lobster tail change from warm/spiny to cold/Maine tails like RCI?

NutsAboutGolf

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

My Equinox app shows MDR on day 5 "Seafood and Lobster Pappardelle"  as the only menu item with lobster in the ingredients. Have no idea what this is. In Luminae day 3 there is a Lobster salad listed as a starter and that is the only lobster all week. Day 6 in Luminae there is a Surf and Turf of "Sea scallops and Pork Belly." 

Possibly they'll start serving "lobster like" items that will be formed like lobster but is actually cod and throw in a little orange food coloring.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, C4HCG said:

I sincerely hope you enjoy your next Celebrity cruise and that you report back 🙂

Oh I will enjoy my cruise.  The highlights will likely focus on the destinations and dining at ports. 

I may even bring a meal back on board and have the OVC warm it up for me.

18 hours ago, schmidlapp said:

Please celebrity don't mess with the escargot and BFO soup!

They already have. On our last cruise in December, they had cut the amount of cheese on the soup by about 50%. They also went from real shaved parmesan on the Caesar salad to Kraft (or store brand equivalent) grated parmesan.

18 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

They already have. On our last cruise in December, they had cut the amount of cheese on the soup by about 50%. They also went from real shaved parmesan on the Caesar salad to Kraft (or store brand equivalent) grated parmesan.

So much for the Caesar salad...

21 hours ago, lahlah57 said:

Possibly they'll start serving "lobster like" items that will be formed like lobster but is actually cod and throw in a little orange food coloring.

That lobster like items is most likely made with pollock fish which is much lower cost fish than cod. 😉

18 minutes ago, robtulipe said:

That lobster like items is most likely made with pollock fish which is much lower cost fish than cod.

Technically, surimi can be made from a number of different fish species. Pollock is just one of those. Whiting and haddock are also often used.

I board Apex 2/11. Looking at the app, I’m seeing a lot of salads and pasta with a protein like lobster or sirloin. Looks like the protein is an afterthought. And what’s with all the short ribs? Is that a thing now? I don’t think I’ve ever had them but admit I’m not a big beef fan. And how about oxtail? Lots of beans, too.

another thing: I notice on the menu for LeGrand Bistro, the cover charge increased from $20 to $30 plus gratuity, of course.

it also states “a 20% gratuity will be automatically added to all beverages,” Even if you have the premium beverage package?  does anyone know for sure?

isn’t the gratuity already baked into the drink package?

I assume drinks themselves come out of the beverage package? I hope that’s correct.

This all adds up to a very pricey lunch if true. I was thinking I’d eat lunch there rather than OVC.

Thanks for any insights.

6 minutes ago, natshala said:

Like fake crab in sushi.

We had a local big Chinese buffet that advertised they had all you can eat crab legs. They got shut down by the city when people complained the crab was nothing, but imitation crab legs made from Pollock with zero real crab. I will not eat at any sushi place that uses fake crab as well.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 1:11 PM, terrydtx said:

My Equinox app shows MDR on day 5 "Seafood and Lobster Pappardelle"  as the only menu item with lobster in the ingredients. Have no idea what this is. In Luminae day 3 there is a Lobster salad listed as a starter and that is the only lobster all week. Day 6 in Luminae there is a Surf and Turf of "Sea scallops and Pork Belly." 

So interesting how the menu varies from ship to ship.  

As has been stated previously, you can't really say for sure what the menu is until a day or two before your sailing date or after you get onboard. 

Fortunately, I do not choose the cruise based on the menu.  I choose Celebrity for the food, service, and the atmosphere.  

37 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

So interesting how the menu varies from ship to ship.  

As has been stated previously, you can't really say for sure what the menu is until a day or two before your sailing date or after you get onboard. 

Fortunately, I do not choose the cruise based on the menu.  I choose Celebrity for the food, service, and the atmosphere.  

Same here, and I have never had any lobster on a ship worth the price, so we usually avoid the lobster and go for something different like the Scallops.

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

Same here, and I have never had any lobster on a ship worth the price, so we usually avoid the lobster and go for something different like the Scallops.

I enjoy lobster.  On our Silhouette last year, I had the lobster dish served in Luminae which comes with the champagne sauce.  I was also able to get the broiled lobster from the MDR.  I enjoyed both.   I shared that and my wife.  

40 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I enjoy lobster.  On our Silhouette last year, I had the lobster dish served in Luminae which comes with the champagne sauce.  I was also able to get the broiled lobster from the MDR.  I enjoyed both.   I shared that and my wife.  

I hope you mean with my wife not and wife. Then I would have to ask who did you share your wife with? I am just picking on you a little. Please don't take offense.

Laura

2 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

I hope you mean with my wife not and wife. Then I would have to ask who did you share your wife with? I am just picking on you a little. Please don't take offense.

Laura

You are quite correct .. I need to do a better job of proof reading before I hit Submit.  

My apologies to her and to you. 

Bot it gets old reading the "warm water lobster is crap" over and over. Yes, it's not cold-water sweet lobster -- get over it. But it can be delicious nonetheless when prepared properly. 🙄

I suppose this snooty crowd also would never touch a hamburger because it is not filet mignon.... Never mind that it can be delicious on its own merits.

I'll take a warm-water lobster (especially delicious in dishes like mac 'n cheese where the stronger flavor is a plus) over scallops any day. Not to mention that scallops are notoriously difficult to cook properly, even more so than lobster. Just ask Gordon Ramsay.

image.png.b9d1fb9a82e276b1ba1ec150e500f78f.png

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Bot it gets old reading the "warm water lobster is crap" over and over. Yes, it's not cold-water sweet lobster -- get over it. But it can be delicious nonetheless when prepared properly. 🙄

I suppose this snooty crowd also would never touch a hamburger because it is not filet mignon.... Never mind that it can be delicious on its own merits.

I'll take a warm-water lobster (especially delicious in dishes like mac 'n cheese where the stronger flavor is a plus) over scallops any day. Not to mention that scallops are notoriously difficult to cook properly, even more so than lobster. Just ask Gordon Ramsay.

Scallops are best when you catch and shuck them yourself.  I'm not a fan of any frozen lobster but if someone else enjoys them I'm not judging. Enjoy! 

IMG_6527.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/28/2023 at 11:41 AM, TeeRick said:

Lobster on the menu in Luminae tonight on Equinox. Listed as Butter Poached Lobster.  It is probably the spiny version.  We will miss it as we dine in Tuscan Grill tonight.  We dined at Murano this week and dw ordered lobster.  It was prepared at the table.  It was definitely the spiny tail. Small. 

We will be on the Equinox starting Mar 27 and have first night reservations in Murano, specifically for the table side lobster. Had it several  years ago and it was amazing.  What is it today?  I do remember that the waiters will usually share whether this is a "good" lobster night or not.  That is the only reason I would do Murano. The last time we were squashed into a room with a HUGE party and were totally overlooked for everything.. Service was awful and we have not been back since. But with lots of OBC I thought we could give it another try and now with the lobster debacle, I am wondering if it is worth the money?  Last year had lobster in Luminae it was inedible..like tough rubber (and yes I tried again! same thing!) I was promised a lobster the next day that never materialized. Abd if they do away with my filet, our next cruise is in jeopardy! Help!

Bridge Babe

16 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I am one of the posters that has continuously pointed out that Spiny or Warm Water "lobster" on ships is a crawfish and is not an actual lobster- a term reserved for cold water varieties with claws.  So I am guilty as charged.  I grew up in New England, spend time every summer at dw's family place in Maine, and I taste the difference.  Sorry- did not mean to come across as a snob or offend you.  My favorite shell fish is nicely prepared scallops, even over fresh Maine lobster.  All of this is coming out specifically due to the OP's thread title.  No other reason.

• Like 2