Cabo on Solstice. Is It Possible to Take A Scooter Ashore?

Guindalf

On 1/11/2023 at 2:29 AM, mcrcruiser said:

There is only one scooter that folds  .It weighs like 48 lbs . This is the problem with tender ports for the handicapped . Cabo should have a deep sea port .Perhaps one day in the future

That is untrue. There are many folding scooters available throughout the world. Many fold automatically. Ours are well travelled and have cruised the Caribbean but I would not consider taking them on a tender. Even if the crew were willing to help you on and off with them [and I am not sure that they would], I would feel guilty about the time, efforrt and space involved.

• Thanks 1

We were on Solstice last Nov and tendered at Cabo. Celebrity did use a local company that did some of the tendering. The local company ship was bigger than Celebrity tenders. I'm not saying the local company can help with your needs, but they might.

On 1/12/2023 at 11:57 AM, bigbenboys said:

We were on Solstice last Nov and tendered at Cabo. Celebrity did use a local company that did some of the tendering. The local company ship was bigger than Celebrity tenders. I'm not saying the local company can help with your needs, but they might.

Our tender at Cabo on Solstice over NYE cruise was exclusively Celebrity tenders.  Water was a bit choppy which made a mess of everything - possible that had something to do with the difference.

Mike

3 hours ago, mandream said:

Our tender at Cabo on Solstice over NYE cruise was exclusively Celebrity tenders.  Water was a bit choppy which made a mess of everything - possible that had something to do with the difference.

Mike

Over the years I have found Celebrity to be consistent with being inconsistent.

• Haha 1

My husband has a fold up travel scooter. He can walk, but due to a medical issue a few years ago,  a scooter is often better for him to use for better stability when walking long distances that might require lots of standing. We’ve taken it on many tenders. It folds in half and it is about the size of a medium, rolling suitcase. I don’t think you’ll have any problem. Then there are others that are also fold up but they are made and look completely different. Some of these don’t look too much larger than an umbrella stroller when they are folded. As long as the scooter is truly designated as a fold up travel scooter, I said go for it. You might hit some uneven surfaces along the sidewalks in town, or have to lift it off of a curb or something now and then to cross a road but you should be fine. 

For what it’s worth, and just info…

We do not have mobility restrictions, and have tendered in Cabo on multiple cruise lines. Some days the tender process is very calm and not an issue; however, on other days it is very difficult, not only for for non-restricted guests, but for all guests.

You may be best served waiting until you actual date of arrival, and make a safe decision on the actual day.

I went on an excursion on Cabo last week, a woman on a mobility scooter went on the tender, although she had to go to the midship exit with an electric ramp of some sort and the rest of us waited for her. The same process whenever the bus stopped--they unloaded the scooter from storage under the bus. The local tenders were happy to take any devices, since the area by the driver is easier to access for the disabled than on ship tenders. 

On 1/10/2023 at 10:29 PM, mcrcruiser said:

There is only one scooter that folds  .It weighs like 48 lbs . This is the problem with tender ports for the handicapped . Cabo should have a deep sea port .Perhaps one day in the future

Look further, there are many brands and models of folding scooters out there

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 3:56 PM, Guindalf said:

Cabo is a tendered port. Does anyone have experience of taking a travel scooter ashore?

We have an excursion booked and it would help getting around. I can't walk very far!

I’ve taken 2 different styles of scooters on tenders, both folded and were around 50 lbs.  in one case there were stairs at both exits of the local tender and they simply grabbed the area where I would pull the scooter and gandered it straight up to someone ashore!   

I’ve had my scooter about 4-5 years and have never had a tender port that was too rough for only those with scooters.  I’ve been at several that were deemed too rough for everyone!  

i do have the advantage that my spouse can carry my scooter up short flights of stairs too.  I’ve not been to Cabo but I always assume one will not find curb cuts or particularly flat surfaces. I’m able to get my scooter up or down a curb although  someone normally offers to help.

My caution would be does the tour company know about the scooter?  Many tour buses are pretty small and can have trouble with finding space.  That said, in Japan we only found one Toyota Camry where the trunk wouldn’t close completely.  Others were fine.  We took the scooter on public buses, and local trains with no issues on the vehicles at all.  Of course not all train stations are accessible!😂   Also, I had a pdf of the specs for my scooter which helped various private tour companies understand the dimensions and shape the were dealing with.  That sheet was also helpful with foreign airlines, too. 

Hoping you have a great tour.