Geez, why can't I order a case of quality purified or spring water on the Equinox?

Mustsea

Have cruised a lot over many years. After not cruising for at least 3 or so years, today we booked a 9-day cruise for this month on Equinox. I was happy with what we paid until I went into my reservation. I am astounded by the exorbitant package pricing! I absolutely hate getting gouged. Yes, make a profit but don't take advantage of me. High pricing for specialty restaurants (but hey, aren't I saving them $$ by not eating dinner in the buffet or MDR - shouldn't I get a bit of a break for food I already paid for?). Booze pkgs at $80 and $100 -- PER DAY. I'm shocked and dismayed. And I am not willing to pay $30 a day for a non-alcoholic drink package just because I want to drink water and maybe a latte. I'm not interested in drinking sodas or fresh juices or virgin cocktails. We've purchased water cases in the past on other lines and expected we could do the same on X. I can't drink tap water, at least not on the older ships as it upsets my stomach and esophagus. I will probably cancel my reservation when my X agent gets in at 11am and save my $$ for land vacation this spring using accrued flight and hotel points. So disappointed because I spent so much time choosing a cruise. Well, on the other hand, at least I'm saving money. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think you made a good call.   I'm sure you know you can buy water bottles and lattes without a package.  And, unless you consume massive quantities of H20 and caffeine, probably for a lot less than the cost of the package.  

Purely out of curiosity, when you total the cruise fare and desired package costs, how does the daily cruise cost compare to a preferred land vacation's daily cost?   

Edited by ldubs
  • Thanks 1

Maybe a plank too short,  yet,  could you not allocate some of your savings towards the Zero Proof package???

Yes, beverage packages are getting more and more expensive and there are reports of OVC cut backs on many ships. 

Based on what I perceive your 'wants' are, maybe RC, CCL or  NCL will be a great fit at this time until X can become profitable again and adjust pricing for your expectations???

OR your expectations accept the new pricing and reality in this current market of pleasure cruising or not.

While I have no suggestions as to the latte workaround,  there will be plenty of no charge water (included in the fare) aboard for sure. 

If you have any OBC,  that may cover a few of the lattes you may have. 

Cheers and bon voyage 

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 2

My first reaction after reading your post: If water is already your problem - yeah, you better cancel... 

FYI: you can get water for free at Oceanview, MDR, Mast Bar machines etc. etc.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Seriously, if tap or ship water is a problem, as others have posted buy a 12 or 24 pack of your preferred brand, tag it and have it delivered to your cabin with the rest of your luggage.

At least Celebrity doesn't charge for distilled water! HAL did at the cost of $5!

Probably best if the OP does cancel since he's upset about much more than not being able to have water as he prefers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hence there is a difference in the the AI rate, drinks/tips/wifi...than purchasing piecemeal.  This has been known for a long time that is why packages are priced that way.  Yes great rate for Cruise only but if your not putting in the other costs your in for a shock.  If you dont like it as said, cancel you would not be happy on the cruise.  I know where I need to be on rates pp/per day with the AI to think about the cruise, and amazingly still can find it.  This also includes air and hotel/travel costs.  

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

I think you made a good call.   I'm sure you know you can buy water bottles and lattes without a package.  And, unless you consume massive quantities of H20 and caffeine, probably for a lot less than the cost of the package.  

Purely out of curiosity, when you total the cruise fare and desired package costs, how does the daily cruise cost compare to a preferred land vacation's daily cost?   

I didn't cancel yet...when I called X last night to inquire about the water, she searched but could not find the answer but she believed there was one to be found. That's when I decided to post about it. Thanks, you guys, always to the rescue. We can buy the big bottles in a grocery store and schlep on board...wine, too. Then, when in port, replenish water.

Greece. Flights will be no cost and I've accumulated almost 1,000,000 hotel points. Food and housing is very reasonably priced - some housing and hotels surprisingly inexpensive. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mustsea said:

Have cruised a lot over many years. After not cruising for at least 3 or so years, today we booked a 9-day cruise for this month on Equinox. I was happy with what we paid until I went into my reservation. I am astounded by the exorbitant package pricing! I absolutely hate getting gouged. Yes, make a profit but don't take advantage of me. High pricing for specialty restaurants (but hey, aren't I saving them $$ by not eating dinner in the buffet or MDR - shouldn't I get a bit of a break for food I already paid for?). Booze pkgs at $80 and $100 -- PER DAY. I'm shocked and dismayed. And I am not willing to pay $30 a day for a non-alcoholic drink package just because I want to drink water and maybe a latte. I'm not interested in drinking sodas or fresh juices or virgin cocktails. We've purchased water cases in the past on other lines and expected we could do the same on X. I can't drink tap water, at least not on the older ships as it upsets my stomach and esophagus. I will probably cancel my reservation when my X agent gets in at 11am and save my $$ for land vacation this spring using accrued flight and hotel points. So disappointed because I spent so much time choosing a cruise. Well, on the other hand, at least I'm saving money. 

My first thought in reading this is why didn't you do your research before you booked? Different lines have different policies and anyone would expect things to change post covid shutdown on any line.  You booked by assuming things. Hardly Celebrity's fault. If you want to blame someone blame the person who didn't do their research before booking. And if your cruise is this month you can't cancel without losing all your money.

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

My first thought in reading this is why didn't you do your research before you booked? Different lines have different policies and anyone would expect things to change post covid shutdown on any line.  You booked by assuming things. Hardly Celebrity's fault. If you want to blame someone blame the person who didn't do their research before booking. And if your cruise is this month you can't cancel without losing all your money.

Hmmm. I've been on about 30 cruises and traveled the world working for a major airline. I know a thing or two. Yes, things have changed, and excuse me but how was I to get into X's offerings for this particular cruise before booking? I was busy choosing a cruise that was acceptable to everyone in our party. And I booked yesterday so I can still cancel.

• Thanks 1

I would agree.  I was disappointed too that I could not order case of water.  I know I can get it on the ship which is fine but I like to take bottled water with me on excursions.  Will it ruin my vacation….no.  It would just be a nice to have.  

2 hours ago, mosleyman said:

I would agree.  I was disappointed too that I could not order case of water.  I know I can get it on the ship which is fine but I like to take bottled water with me on excursions.  Will it ruin my vacation….no.  It would just be a nice to have.  

They usually have someone selling, unless you have a beverage package that includes it, bottle water at the gangway.   However, I do agree that it would be nice if they had an offering like Royal Caribbean's where pre-cruise you can buy twelve 1-liter bottles of water delivered to your stateroom.