Meeting people ☺️

Sike1dj

7 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

You can connect with folks on your particular cruise under the Roll Call topic.  Chose your cruise line, then ship, and then date if departure.  Someone may plan a 'meet & greet' for tour sailing.

And often people in the roll call will invite others to join them in independent small-group shore excursions with 4 to 12 people in a group.  Much better than going on a ship's shore excursion with 30 to 50 people.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

And often people in the roll call will invite others to join them in independent small-group shore excursions with 4 to 12 people in a group.  Much better than going on a ship's shore excursion with 30 to 50 people.

We also with our past Embarkation Day, arranged a location on deck to meet before the ship departs.

A location is selected on deck and posted on the Roll Call to meet after the Muster Drill. On the QM2 we select the Observation Deck. Great way to meet before the Meet & Greet on the following day. 

6 hours ago, bluetardis said:

You can also meet people while waiting to board the ship. The waiting room is rather boring and I always start talking to everyone while waiting for my zone to be called to get on the ship.

On our last cruise the folks we were talking to in the terminal turned out to the have the suite right next to ours. It was neat seeing them throughout the trip and comparing notes. On one cruise we met some nice people at our diner table and we are still in contact with them today. They were on their honeymoon and now they have two boys so I'm not sure when they will be sailing again. We met one couple through social media prior to the cruise and DW really hit it off with the wife. They will be on our April cruise.

• Like 1

just say hi to everyone around you.  Say hello to folks while waiting for, or are in the elevator.   Say hello to the people around you while you are at a bar waiting for your drink, or in line at a buffet.  Strike up conversation with people while you are waiting to board the ship.  It really isn't hard to meet folks on board.  They may not become life long friends ( maybe they will?), but it's nice to be walking around and see familiar faces.  Just be happy, and people will come to you

We made our best cruising buddies in the smoking area on Azamara (other smoking areas would work). You see the same people regularly; it is next to the pool bar and smokers are an endangered species so tend to bond in adversity.

We still cruise with them, even though we have all quit smoking now.

Edited by SteveH2508
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have met people that we became friends with on every cruise we have been on dating back to 1973.

We too have friends from practically every cruise still in touch year round. And joins us on board. 

Also with staff as far back as QE2. Debbie and Elaine Mackay from QE2.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We too have friends from practically every cruise still in touch year round. And joins us on board. 

Also with staff as far back as QE2. Debbie and Elaine Mackay from QE2.

We often meet people living all over the world who grew up in Brooklyn as I did. We currently have 6 friends that we met on cruises who were born in Brooklyn.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

We often meet people living all over the world who grew up in Brooklyn as I did. We currently have 6 friends that we met on cruises who were born in Brooklyn.

Our contacts are NYC, Penna, Florida, UK, Canada, CA, Washington State, and of course NJ not to leave them out. Those are a few places and so happy that sailing creates these friendship that can't wait to keep contact and hear from each other.

Maybe this world is as small as we think.......

Some places I tend to meet people:

1. Shore excursions, especially those involving an activity and not just riding a bus all day

2. Classes or demos on the ship

3. Sitting at the bar in a bar in ship

4. Shared table in the MDR

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I even once met a person from Monticello! In fact, his father was my DW's first School Superintendent.

11 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Our contacts are NYC, Penna, Florida, UK, Canada, CA, Washington State, and of course NJ not to leave them out. Those are a few places and so happy that sailing creates these friendship that can't wait to keep contact and hear from each other.

Maybe this world is as small as we think.......

We have met and become friends with people now living in Maryland,Pa,NJ,Mo and Long Island .One couple actually moved into the condo that we live in.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I even once met a person from Monticello! In fact, his father was my DW's first School Superintendent.

Not sure if I ever told you this.My younger daughter ,a teacher,has a friend teaching in the Monticello school system and suggested that my daughter apply for a position there.

7 hours ago, wcook said:

1. Shore excursions, especially those involving an activity and not just riding a bus all day

7 hours ago, wcook said:

I do not have to go to a special place .As I posted earlier I wear a Born in Brooklyn tee shirt or a Brooklyn College tee shirt .One of the people I met and became friends with was wearing a HS tee shirt .