Awful State of Ocean View Cafe for dinner

Arubamoose

5 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I think that there is a bunch more waste in the MDR.  It is just that the waiters quickly take away the half empty plates.

In the OCV I can get the exact amounts that I want to consume.  I can even go back and get small tastes for a second plate.  No waste there.

When I dine in the MDR about half of the food is wasted.  The plates are too big.  And when I want just a taste of something I must order the full plate.

So my opinion is that the MDR wastes more food, you just don't see it as it is quickly taken away by a waiter.

You're probably correct when you say that there is more "on plate" waste in the MDR than in the OVC, but there is also the "serving tray" waste in the OVC that needs to be considered. With a similar selection at dinner to that offered at lunch but with fewer customers, there is probably a lot of food wasted that doesn't make it to the plate, either due to end of service or exceeding the safe time for a display to be on display at serving temperature.

Despite my comments above, if I had decided to visit the OVC on the evening of the video in post 1, I would have struggled to find something that I really wanted to eat. They need to roll back on the changes a bit (or quite a bit). Cook to order grill is probably something that has the least waste.

• Like 6

My husband and I have 2 upcoming cruises on the Equinox and the Beyond both in AquaClass.  We actually got these cabins not for the Blu experience but for the spa options.  Plus the price was really good for both at the time as was the OBC.  I can't unfortunately eat in Blu on my February cruise for 2 nights for a couple of reasons (shellfish, nut allergy plus no meat for religious reasons).  I was going to go to the OV those 2 nights and just make myself a giant vegan like salad plus get some pizza.  After watching the video and remembering the cluster@@@@ the MDR was at least on RCCL when the Windjammer was closed for dinner, I'm a little annoyed.  Yes, I will probably just give a heads up to Blu or do room service which I don't really want to do.  I won't starve.  I prefer not to pay money for the Tuscan grille.  We are nightly visitors at the buffet for dinner on every cruise unless we have a dining package as we don't like the MDR.  I see a LOT of people always wandering in after their dinner to grab more food like desserts which on the video looked abysmal, or stuff from the grill.  On 23 (actually 26 but 3 were right after the restart) cruises on 4 different cruise lines, I have never seen the Buffet completely empty.  Always people in there.  They either eat fast or take food back to their rooms.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Pro Tip: Become a Chargers fan. Even when they make it to the playoffs, it's never for long. 

Case in point: yesterday

(and many past years) 

It's been torture being a Philadelphia fan this year with the Phillies and Eagles.  Thankfully my next cruise is February 18th.  No playoffs scheduled.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

It's been torture being a Philadelphia fan this year with the Phillies and Eagles.  Thankfully my next cruise is February 18th.  No playoffs scheduled.

Switch to Detroit.... lots of time to plan and enjoy cruises year-round.

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, RD64 said:

But if you choose to book a non-refundable fare, hopefully you know those details going into the game instead of being shocked that the fare all of a sudden is non-refundable.

Except a LOT of these were booked well before COVID so we had no way of knowing that these changes were going to be made. So yes, while we knew they were non-refundable, we did NOT know that all these cuts were going to be made - the deposits were made based on a certain product.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Just now, d9704011 said:

Switch to Detroit.... lots of time to plan and enjoy cruises year-round.

I felt bad for you guys this year.  Just a lot of bad luck.  We actually travelled to the Detroit/Eagles gsme on opening day and had a lot of fun.  That is a nice set up there!  The Lions were a tough game for us.  

19 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

My husband and I have 2 upcoming cruises on the Equinox and the Beyond both in AquaClass.  We actually got these cabins not for the Blu experience but for the spa options.  Plus the price was really good for both at the time as was the OBC.  I can't unfortunately eat in Blu on my February cruise for 2 nights for a couple of reasons (shellfish, nut allergy plus no meat for religious reasons).  I was going to go to the OV those 2 nights and just make myself a giant vegan like salad plus get some pizza.  After watching the video and remembering the cluster@@@@ the MDR was at least on RCCL when the Windjammer was closed for dinner, I'm a little annoyed.  Yes, I will probably just give a heads up to Blu or do room service which I don't really want to do.  I won't starve.  I prefer not to pay money for the Tuscan grille.  We are nightly visitors at the buffet for dinner on every cruise unless we have a dining package as we don't like the MDR.  I see a LOT of people always wandering in after their dinner to grab more food like desserts which on the video looked abysmal, or stuff from the grill.  On 23 (actually 26 but 3 were right after the restart) cruises on 4 different cruise lines, I have never seen the Buffet completely empty.  Always people in there.  They either eat fast or take food back to their rooms.

Just talk to the matre de in the dining rooms they will help you with food and cook special for your diet.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Just talk to the matre de in the dining rooms they will help you with food and cook special for your diet.   

They have in the past but I was going to try to avoid because I have a feeling it will be more crowded in the MDR and I hate sitting for more than 30 minutes to eat.  Its a habit of many years as an RN where I had to gobble my food down.  I may talk to the Blu Maitre'd as Ash Wednesday will be Day 5 of my cruise and see what they can do.  Thank you for the suggestion.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, drowelf said:

Charging 22.78 (18.99 + 20%) for a 3 or 4 oz additional lobster tail is ridiculous. I can get them at my local food store for about 6 bucks. I can get a 1 lb or so lobster at my local seafood restaurant for between $30-35 and that includes sides!

Also never understood the rationale behind listing something as $xx.xx + 20%. Why not just list the price so that folks don't have to do the math, or get surprised when they actually see the bill. 

Pricing transparency, which many states require btw, base price plus tax...

Yes, so people do not have to do the math... I will do the math every time for something like this, then again when it is totaled on the next page it should be a quick math solve is it really 20% added or not???

As for the lobster comparison, we are not bringing lobsters aboard to have cooked for us at that price, as such, it is what it is and if we want extra that is what we have to pay or not... get a different entree.

The pricing is only ridiculous if one chooses to not pay for it (and/or not complain to the F&B Manager if the product does not meet expectations or desires).

Pricing of food in one part of the US does not, necessarily equate to the same price in another part so the comparison is relatively not a good one. Yet it does point out that you can get that product more 'economically' than others, possibly.

A great option, as I view it, is to sit with a group who would not eat lobster have them order it and pass it to you, then they can order a non-up charge entree and then you will have a lot of lobster for next to nothing.. but a Thank You and a smile.

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

No worries, just let the Maitre d' know in advance and you will be accommodated without an extensive wait because it will be pre-planned as opposed to just showing up and letting them know on the spot and trying to figure out what to present.

bon appetit and bon voyage

edited to add: this will be for any food changes you want and will far easier to accommodate in Blu vs other venues. Even if you decided you wanted pizza, give them at least a days notice and it will appear at your table, I Am sure.

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

They have in the past but I was going to try to avoid because I have a feeling it will be more crowded in the MDR and I hate sitting for more than 30 minutes to eat.  Its a habit of many years as an RN where I had to gobble my food down.  I may talk to the Blu Maitre'd as Ash Wednesday will be Day 5 of my cruise and see what they can do.  Thank you for the suggestion.

That would be the best, probably a day before then they could accommodate you pretty easily.   I know last cruise I did last year my travelmate ordered her dinner the night before and it went very smoothly overall.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, basenji56 said:

It's funny to read the comments.  Seems like there are cruisers who cruise to eat and those who cruise to drink.  I could care less about cutbacks to the Premium package because I don't drink.  But I understand why people who paid for the Premium package would be upset if the premium liquors were not available. 

Likewise, I don't eat at the buffet for dinner but can understand why people who do are upset in not getting what they paid for.  I also hear the people who say that inflation has increased prices--but I also see that cruise fares have significantly increased at the same time food and drink is cut back.

Like you, I wouldn't dream of eating dinner in a buffet restaurant having paid the prices currently being charged: or in the past for that matter. 

I picked up this video from a UK forum - harvested to keep it going - and did chuckle at one comment over there that basically said he lost the will to live after a few minutes watching. 

Of course my sympathy is with Celebrity. If folk like us aren't going to use the facility then what would one expect. In the interests of control you cut down the number of stations. Pretty obvious to me. 

• Like 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
8 hours ago, miched said:

Some need it as a bridge to help them in between meals.   We were walking thru the buffet from the aft bar around 5 pm going to our cabin to get ready for dinner.   There was a couple with plates loaded to the brim.   Another couple seen them and asked “we thought you were dining with us tonight, why are you eating now?”  Answer.  We are but that isn’t until 6.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Tragedy of the commons. 🦞

Edited by 4-2-N-8

Guest TopoChico

We were on Royal in April and Celebrity in November. I commented on the sad state of affairs a few days after getting back in December. And of course.  got some blowback from people who were not on our sailing and who insisted on providing inaccurate information pertaining to the sailing we were on.
As someone said, some diehards will say “Just pack a sandwich” if you don’t like the lunch offered 😂  

We thought the RC food was very underwhelming in April, so booked Celebrity to get a better experience in November. Wrong.
The food was atrocious.  We were shocked at just how bad, since we had experienced the opposite the many other times we’ve sailed X. Food was always impressive. Not any more. My Mother’s nursing home seriously serves better food. I am 100% serious. 

We couldn’t wait to get off ship so I could make a decent meal for us to eat at home 😂 I mean, when does anyone ever say that?  We LOST weight on that cruise.
The dining room meals were skimpy, lame and not cooked properly.
The buffet was a joke at all times we went.  The specialty restaurants should have been ashamed of what they were putting out and charging extra for.  
We would have paid more in our cruise fare if it meant half-decent dining, but apparently the new X plan is to overcharge and underwhelm. Success on both counts. 

They’ve lost us for sure. We won’t be cruising X again until we see people raving about how great the “new changes back to where it used to be” start rolling in.  

Guest 4-2-N-8

Here's an idea (and this is me just putting on my thinking cap for a second), ...

Celebrity could create a "dining room dash" and time limit each entrant in the OVC.

0. You get 90 seconds to fill that plate. Go!

1. You get 15 minutes to gobble gobble.

2. If you gobble gobble everything on your plate plate in allotted time time, you get to run the gauntlet again again.

The runners stay active, Celebrity cuts food waste, passersby have an extra ship board activity in observing the race (I mean, how many watches can you spend time buying?).

Go Speed Racer!

Guest 4-2-N-8
4 minutes ago, TopoChico said:

We were on Royal in April and Celebrity in November. I commented on the sad state of affairs a few days after getting back in December. And of course.  got some blowback from people who were not on our sailing and who insisted on providing inaccurate information pertaining to the sailing we were on.
As someone said, some diehards will say “Just pack a sandwich” if you don’t like the lunch offered 😂  

We thought the RC food was very underwhelming in April, so booked Celebrity to get a better experience in November. Wrong.
The food was atrocious.  We were shocked at just how bad, since we had experienced the opposite the many other times we’ve sailed X. Food was always impressive. Not any more. My Mother’s nursing home seriously serves better food. I am 100% serious. 

We couldn’t wait to get off ship so I could make a decent meal for us to eat at home 😂 I mean, when does anyone ever say that?  We LOST weight on that cruise.
The buffet was a joke at all times we went.  The specialty restaurants should have been ashamed of what they were putting out and charging extra for.  
We would have paid more in our cruise fare if it meant half-decent dining, but apparently the new X plan is to overcharge and underwhelm. Success on both counts. 

They’ve lost us for sure. We won’t be cruising X again until we see people raving about how great the “new changes back to where it used to be” start rolling in.  

Did you see this across all dining venues?

3 minutes ago, TopoChico said:

I remember this very clearly, You Tried! 

And...here we are now... 

Patty 

Guest TopoChico
1 minute ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Did you see this across all dining venues?

Absolutely. The only meal we had and said, that was really good, was a late-night room service order. 

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 minute ago, TopoChico said:

Absolutely. The only meal we had and said, that was really good, was a late-night room service order. 

Can you advise which ship(s)? Were you in Retreat or Star Class?

13 hours ago, HeddaGarbled said:

Wasn’t the buffet a bit of a ghost town in the evenings anyway prior to this recent change? It doesn’t seem entirely unreasonable to me to try to minimise waste and cut costs in an under-used venue. 

Ditto, ditto, ditto. We dine for dinner at Oceanview Cafe twice a cruise and it is never crowded. Always wondered what was done with food not served!

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 minute ago, Crazy planning mom said:

For those people, who say they don't eat dinner  at the Buffet, that may be true for a routine Caribbean cruise.  What about European cruises where you have long port days? 

Aren't some restaurants open on sea days or is everyone shepherded into OVC (like grazing goats)?

2 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

For those people, who say they don't eat dinner  at the Buffet, that may be true for a routine Caribbean cruise.  What about European cruises where you have long port days? 

I was on Constellation in October, 19 days in the Med on BTB cruises.

Never once was I tempted to eat in the buffet or order room service for dinner. I ate in the MDR all but the two nights that I dined in Tuscan Grille.

If the ship had been in port longer in the evening, I would have eaten some dinners ashore...  As it was I had lovely lunches off the ship in several places.